Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best coffee in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'm gona give a shout out to Moonstar in the Epicurean, the guys there are lovely and really look after the regulars, they make a mean, strong coffee and theyre very reasonable too. (The owner and his son do make it better than the other staff though but the rest are improving :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

Finally got to try the coffee in 3FE today after reading some good stuff about it on this thread. It didn´t disappoint I have to say. I usually drink my cappuccino with sugar and didn´t even realise I hadn´t put any in it until after. Anyway, great coffee there and I´d recommend it.

On a non-coffee aside, it would be good if they made the place a bit more comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I can't wait to go to Dublin again, definitely going to check out 3FE. I'm genuinely looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I'm gona give a shout out to Moonstar in the Epicurean, the guys there are lovely and really look after the regulars, they make a mean, strong coffee and theyre very reasonable too. (The owner and his son do make it better than the other staff though but the rest are improving :p)
    If you like Moonstar you should try the Turkish place in the Italian quarter. Quite nice too, and very atmospheric. :)

Nevore wrote: »
    If you like Moonstar you should try the Turkish place in the Italian quarter. Quite nice too, and very atmospheric. :)

oh I like atmospheric :)

They have kinda ruined the atmosphere in the epicurean for me a little bit, bring back the hedges I say!

I was in there again today, normally I ask for take-away even if staying there but didn't today and it was tiny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

just to add my 2c. i was up in dublin about 2 weeks ago for the first time in ages and tried 3fe.it was amazing and as i was a country bumpkin i had to get my fill in. had 3 espresso and 2 cappacinos.amazing!yer very lucky!definitly my 1st port of call from now on anytime im in dublin.i think it mite be excessive just to travel up from kerry just for a cup of coffee so il have to find other excuses to go to dublin for the coffee!

numorouno wrote: »
    just to add my 2c. i was up in dublin about 2 weeks ago for the first time in ages and tried 3fe.it was amazing and as i was a country bumpkin i had to get my fill in. had 3 espresso and 2 cappacinos.amazing!yer very lucky!definitly my 1st port of call from now on anytime im in dublin.i think it mite be excessive just to travel up from kerry just for a cup of coffee so il have to find other excuses to go to dublin for the coffee!

omg your poor little heart!

numorouno wrote: »
    Colin will be happy to sell you a bag or two of coffee (and probably a french press if you don't have one yourself) and give you some great tips to go along with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

I love Insomnia, I have coffee there every morning and I think it is the best I have ever had. Butlers come a close second though !

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

i think the heart follows the mind and i knew iwouldnt be back for a while so i had to stock up! :) anyway i wouldnt be able to match the deliciousness of colins work but im happy to drink it anytime il be up in dublin.mmm mmm mmm definitly the best coffee iv had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

just want to say that "The Food Room" in Clontarf is great for coffee also Kennedy's in Fairview. I'm no expert but they do great coffee.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

On a non-coffee aside, it would be good if they made the place a bit more comfy.

From Colin's latest post it looks like this is happening as we speak. Keep an eye out for 3FE 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

novice wrote: »
    From Colin's latest post it looks like this is happening as we speak. Keep an eye out for 3FE 2.0.

It's true. We're pretty much only pandering to requests from boards these days. Keep'em coming... ;)

ch2008 wrote: »
    It's true. We're pretty much only pandering to requests from boards these days. Keep'em coming... ;)
    Can we put latte on the menu since people just ask for one anyway? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

Nevore wrote: »
    Can we put latte on the menu since people just ask for one anyway? :P

hmm.. that could be a whole thread all on its own...Lets just say its a cup size issue and we'll soon offer both :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Finally landed in for a coffee on Tue. HAve to say it was devine and I have to say colin was a gent. Recommended the filter after explaining where it was from. Truly tasty.

HAd a great chat with him after about espresso machines ( il get that design to you asap colin)

I will be back.......

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Gladiator.

Was in the bald baristas today
    Got a lovely cappuccino , defo the best coffee I've had in awhile
    only 2:50 for a regular size, and its more expensive up the road for insomnia which is mank compared to his

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

You're gonna hate me for this but I find you can't beat McCafé coffee...

You're gonna hate me for this but I find you can't beat McCafé coffee...

oh no it's mank, tastes like unpasteurised milk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

After reading this thread I went into 3FE the other day and yes it is top notch and the best coffee I have ever had in Dublin.I was in a rush so got a take away,its a shame they only do the one size as it was a bit small for my liking but well priced.

I will be back when I have more time to enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Sampled 3fe today. Incredibly nice and the staff were quite friendly. I asked for a latté and they gave it to me no bother, but why don't they advertise them? What's the story there, or am I opening a can of worms here?

€2 as well. Really can't beat that.

Funkstard wrote: »
    Sampled 3fe today. Incredibly nice and the staff were quite friendly. I asked for a latté and they gave it to me no bother, but why don't they advertise them? What's the story there, or am I opening a can of worms here?

angry-mob.jpeg

Go on, out with it, what cardinal sin have a I broken by asking such a dumb and naive question?

Ah no just joking. Wouldn't be such a purist myself (see my above post about McDonald's coffee!)

Though if he wasn't advertising it it's probably just because his specialty would be more coffee-ey coffees if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Ah no just joking. Wouldn't be such a purist myself (see my above post about McDonald's coffee!)

Though if he wasn't advertising it it's probably just because his specialty would be more coffee-ey coffees if you know what I mean.

Check Post 46, think it's just a mug/cup issue.

Oh ok. I understand it from a purists point - but then why is there a cappuccino offered?

If it's a mug thing I see then. Amount of espresso vs. milk I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I haven't seen "The Art of Coffee" in the Docklands mentioned yet. He uses Coffee Angel Beans.

Second that was there yesterday.

To get there from NS
    Cross Sam bek bridge. Follow road around behing Grand Canal theatre
    At the lights turn left
    Take the next right at the glass tower on the right just before the bridge.
    The coffee shop is on the ground floor of the tower.

Nice staff great coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Inspired by this thread, I popped in yesterday to 3FE to see what the 'fuss' was about :D

The first time I ever had a freshly brewed cup of coffee was in New York over 10 years ago and it was, for me, almost an epihany. Since then, no other coffee has had that effect on me.

Until yesterday. I like coffee with nothing added - no milk, no sugar, no nothing. I asked the lad at the counter what he might suggest and what he gave me was exceptional ! As with wine, the subtleties and nuances of flavours of coffee are lost on me, but the cup I had yesterday was full of flavour and had me appreciating that what I had in front of me was leagues ahead of anything I have had in years.

The missus has a cappucino and it too was exceptional.

We will be back ! Sometime ..

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

I've been getting my fix at The Bald Barista recently. Very good stuff, especially the double espresso

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I've been getting my fix at The Bald Barista recently. Very good stuff, especially the double espresso

I have been meaning to try that shop out as it looks nice,but its the wrong side of the city for me.

Advertisement