Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scrabble to ban the word "culchie" in America.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Let them at it. A few hundred more words and I'll release a 'Cards Against Scrabble', make a killing from it. Only banned Scrabble words allowed.

You would have to invent a dictionary to go with it. Because players would make up their own words? Can I recommend you put in geeface, cockjockey, junkieblowie, fracturedfeatures, you might actually have ti design a bigger board. Anyway best of look with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How can you ban words from a game where their eligibility is based on their presence in a dictionary?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Their eligibility is based on their presence in the Official Scrabble Words, afaik - Scrabble's own dictionary

Edit - actually, it appears that Hasbro are putting it in the rules that slurs aren't allowed. Obviously you can do what you like when you're playing at home, but the Scrabble dictionary then comes into effect for official tournament play I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's not an insult its just slang for someone from
    the country. I don't think it's in wide use in America

As the title says apparantly scrabble will ban culchie and other terms deemed offensive. How would yanks (maybe yank is now offensive sorry mods) know the word culchie or does it mean something different over there?
    They probably don't. The company has mined college-level dictionaries for words that are tagged 'slang, offensive' and has put them on a list. They probably don't even realise it's on their list.

So nobody is really outraged here, except for those who like to be outraged by imagined outrage.

• Advertisement

So nobody is really outraged here, except for those who like to be outraged by imagined outrage.
    Very little outrage on this thread as far as I can see.

I think people like to be outraged at the imagined outrage of other outraged people :)

It is daftly puritanical that (a) a word game is so far up its own hole it thinks it can define what it or isn't acceptable language and (b) they've rearranged the letters (except to accredited media) so people don't get notions and start calling each other "culchies"

I think that point can be made without suggestions of outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

chosen1 wrote: »
    Half of them could probably see a herd of cows from their back window, but that didn't matter to them.

There's a picture of my sister in our back garden when she was about 2, cows in a field behind the fence and this was in the middle of Dublin surrounded by thousands of houses. The last farmer sold up and it became a school.

Less than a km from the Red Cow on the Naas Road there are big fields with herds of cows...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ush1 wrote: »
    Queenstown, or should I say Cork is more Jackeen than Dublin ever has been.

Has a place called the English Market, and fawned over Lizzie a few years back to an amazing degree.

Q. How to gain the adulation of Cork people?

A. Burn down their city and wait 90 years.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Kylta wrote: »
    You would have to invent a dictionary to go with it. Because players would make up their own words? Can I recommend you put in geeface, cockjockey, junkieblowie, fracturedfeatures, you might actually have ti design a bigger board. Anyway best of look with it

Rogers Profanisaurus is generally accepted as the standard reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

cdeb wrote: »
    Very little outrage on this thread as far as I can see.

I think people like to be outraged at the imagined outrage of other outraged people :)

It is daftly puritanical that (a) a word game is so far up its own hole it thinks it can define what it or isn't acceptable language and (b) they've rearranged the letters (except to accredited media) so people don't get notions and start calling each other "culchies"

I think that point can be made without suggestions of outrage.

Outraged by the outrage on behalf of those who fail to be outraged by the lack of outrage from those who should be outraged. Or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

How can you ban words from a game where their eligibility is based on their presence in a dictionary?

You rewrite the dictionary. Literally newspeak

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

riclad wrote: »
    It's not an insult its just slang for someone from
    the country. I don't think it's in wide use in America
    Well, redneck is on the list, so it's not overly surprising that synonyms for redneck are also on the list even if they're not used much in the US or just by Irish Americans or Irish immigrants.

While culchie isn't necessarily used as an insult, it can definitely be used as one.

Anything can be used as an insult if you try hard enough, you utter piano

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

They probably don't. The company has mined college-level dictionaries for words that are tagged 'slang, offensive' and has put them on a list. They probably don't even realise it's on their list.

Rather than throw around accusations of "outrage", how about bemused or mildly concerned?
    There's a whole spectrum of emotion between total apathy and outrage, and it contributes nothing positive to a discussion to misrepresent and dismiss people's concerns as "outrage" simply because you don't agree with them.

Honestly, the scenario you describe of an algorithm mining dictionaries and deciding in an unnuanced fashion which are offensive and thus banned, without any higher input or consideration, is a mildly concerning one. I couldn't care less about it's impact on Scrabble, I've never played the word Culchie in Scrabble and I'm a bit surprised to hear that it was previously a valid word since IME the Scrabble dictionary is already quite restrictive compared to say the Oxford English.

Anything can be used as an insult if you try hard enough, you utter piano
    Yes but I think you'll agree that it's easier to use a synonym for "an unsophisticated country person" as an insult than to use an inanimate musical instrument as an insult.

Partly simply due to use though. Like the way "literally" now means "figuratively" purely by use. If enough people start calling each other utter pianos, it would get the same meaning.

Anyway part of Irish culture is bonding by insult. Words are too flexible to be conclusively nailed down as bad or not.

you-drunk-paddy-bastard_o_2299583.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You rewrite the dictionary. Literally newspeak
    You write the word book again. This is double plus good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Vita nova wrote: »
    Yes but I think you'll agree that it's easier to use a synonym for "an unsophisticated country person" as an insult than to use an inanimate musical instrument as an insult.
    you're an inanimate musical instrument...

Partly simply due to use though. Like the way "literally" now means "figuratively" purely by use. If enough people start calling each other utter pianos, it would get the same meaning.

Anyway part of Irish culture is bonding by insult. Words are too flexible to be conclusively nailed down as bad or not.
    To be trite and clichéd, we are where we are and when piano gains the same egregiousness I'll pay it some attention.

But the point is that the meaning isn't in the word, it's in the emotion conveyed behind it. So on that basis, anything can be an insult.

So while "culchie" can be an insult, most of the times I would say it's not. There's nothing specific about the arrangement of letters "culchie" that's insulting. Is it still a word of insult if it's not used that way most of the time? Where do you draw the line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Rather than throw around accusations of "outrage", how about bemused or mildly concerned?
    There's a whole spectrum of emotion between total apathy and outrage, and it contributes nothing positive to a discussion to misrepresent and dismiss people's concerns as "outrage" simply because you don't agree with them.

Honestly, the scenario you describe of an algorithm mining dictionaries and deciding in an unnuanced fashion which are offensive and thus banned, without any higher input or consideration, is a mildly concerning one. I couldn't care less about it's impact on Scrabble, I've never played the word Culchie in Scrabble and I'm a bit surprised to hear that it was previously a valid word since IME the Scrabble dictionary is already quite restrictive compared to say the Oxford English.

This only applies in Scrabble competition. I really see nothing to be even mildly concerned about.
    For me it is no different than a golf club enforcing a dress code.

Their game, their competition, their rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Here's the list of the words they're looking to ban from Scrabble competition. https://scrabbleplayers.org/w/Slurs

When I first read the list, I thought it was all in Welsh, but it turns out that bizarrely, they've written them all backwards so that innocent people won't accidentally read them! I guess that won't stop Scrabble nerds, though.

Jesus.
    F*cking.
    Christ.

:eek:

But the point is that the meaning isn't in the word, it's in the emotion conveyed behind it. So on that basis, anything can be an insult.

So while "culchie" can be an insult, most of the times I would say it's not. There's nothing specific about the arrangement of letters "culchie" that's insulting. Is it still a word of insult if it's not used that way most of the time? Where do you draw the line?
    Disagree, the meaning is in the word and that can be aquired meaning through usage or inherent/inherited meaning based on etymology. I'm aware of four possible etymologies for the word and only one of them is somewhat neutral; I'm not going to outline them here but they're easy to find on the web.

As to where to draw the line, there are no hard and fast rules, different people and organisations have different criteria and it's based on more than how the majority use a word.

Etymology isn't really all that relevant. You're assuming beliefs from centuries past hold up now, which often isn't the case. Meanings change. Plus you can't tell what the etymology is anyway, so it's wrong to draw conclusions on it.

I agree current usage is the way of imparting meaning - and on that basis, it's on balance not a term of serious insult.

joe40 wrote: »
    This only applies in Scrabble competition. I really see nothing to be even mildly concerned about.
    For me it is no different than a golf club enforcing a dress code.

Their game, their competition, their rules.
    I think they've got Hasbro to add it to the general rules too. (Everyone reads the rules, right?)

I don't think it's "nothing". Certainly there's no outrage, but things can be in between. That's often forgotten in internet discussions.

It's symptomatic of American sensibilities in a way - it's a country founded by Puritans and who still find words like "jacks" squeamish. So it's cultural in that way. But it is also part of the generally increasingly PC way the world is unfortunately going, and there's no harm calling that out. Obviously we can ignore it because this isn't America - yet there's a surprising number of people who don't recognise that.

It's a very very minor thing of course. I mostly find it pathetic tbh, especially the scrambling of words to avoid offence. And yet unscrambling cccekkorsu is funny - more so because I know it'd upset whoever decided to scramble the words that I find their work has made it funnier :)

sligojoek wrote: »
    A teacher in school years ago told us that "Culchie" came from the word agricultural.
    That's what I always thought, "Culchie science" was what we called Ag Science at school.

Also, culchie is a relative term. When I was in school, people from Borrisokane were called 'townies' and those of us from the rural parts were culchies. It got a bit aggressive at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

That's what I always thought, "Culchie science" was what we called Ag Science at school.

Also, culchie is a relative term. When I was in school, people from Borrisokane were called 'townies' and those of us from the rural parts were culchies. It got a bit aggressive at times.

Borrisokane wouldn’t be a sophisticated sort of place. The sort of place where men decide to use some rope to hold up their trousers. Where having your own teeth is viewed with suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

THe Nenagh lads would consider the Borris lads culchies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Kylta wrote: »
    Is gizzablowie still there?

Could be but I doubt it somehow.

Maybe suck my big hefty toolbox is there but again I DOUBT IT SOMEHOW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Americans dont know where mexico is.

Something tells me they don;t know what a culchie is.

Advertisement