Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl e-scooter this week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

grogi wrote: »
    Because they are smaller. You can throw one into the trunk and use as a last-mile commuting device. Not possible with a bicycle.

Trunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Here's a roads policing Garda seizing two in Terenure last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G12b3kgDwRA

You'll also note the guard makes a lawful demand for rider to produce his insurance for scooter within 7 days. Seeing as no insurance is available for these scooters, the rider will ultimately be summonsed for no insurance and be fined/penalty pointed for same. Also liable for impound fee + daily storage. I think the scooters are useful, but I wouldn't be running the risk of using them on a public road until they are legislated for. The chance of being fined/pointed at the whim of a Garda having a bad day is too great.
    Heres him again managing to bullsh1t his way out of the same thing with a piece of paper he printed:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Trunk?

Whisky?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Trunk?

Jaysus WG... he's just back from his J1 visa trip... It's the tail (or sometimes front hood) of a autobox or stick shift sedan you access when you pull up to the sidewalk after activating your blinkers when you leave the freeway.

EAT MA SHEEET.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mrcheez wrote: »
    Back to the original topic.

What's the warranty like on these?

I read in the comments of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzF0bPQ0b9g

that the warranty is 2 years ... not bad. I'd get my money's worth out of it. Also the comments say that it can be free-wheeled if battery runs out.

Won't be using it on public roads or anything... sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Stay off the paths please.

this is a bargain alert page not a busy body forum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Trunk?

That's where you keep the tires!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Del2005 wrote: »
    How many workplaces have suitable fire extinguishers?

All of them should have under the Fire Services Act and HSWaW Act.

So is the general opinion that this is not worth it?
    I do notice a lack of lever brake which would mean it’s a stand on the rear guard to slow down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

I'll stick to the bike as long as my legs still work, thanks. I wouldn't be seen dead on this glorified child's toy.

I must say I feel the opposite. Very handy getting up those big hills, arriving into work less soaked in sweat but still not taking up room on the road as a car or on a bus.

• Advertisement

Grabbed one of these there today.

First thing that surprised me is how solidly the whole thing is built. A mate of mine bought one off AliExpress last year and first thing I thought was how fragile it seemed. This one is welded perfectly and handlebars are tight. Has a nice solid weight to it all.

The height of the handlebars is also great and even though I'm 6'2 I won't need to lean over.

It has a thumb electric brake as well as the foot one as a backup.

Folding and unfolding is simple and effortless.

Charging her up now so haven't taken it for a spin yet.

2 year warranty and six months warranty on battery. Happy with that, thanks OP.

Out for a spin now on some back roads. Nifty lil bugger. Speed seems to be limited to 11mph but obviously it goes downhill faster.

Brake works great on downhills.

Went up a few 5% inclines and it slowed to around 7mph but did make it up.

But on flats it performs great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

did they get many in each store, the one i was in had none at around 11 am?

flexcon wrote: »
    I must say I feel the opposite. Very handy getting up those big hills, arriving into work less soaked in sweat but still not taking up room on the road as a car or on a bus.

How do you, as a bus passenger, take up more room on the road?

How do you, as a bus passenger, take up more room on the road?

Less people taking the bus -> reduced frequency of bus route -> less buses on the road.

ooter wrote: »

I was first in queue at 8am. There were about 7?

This is in da Wescht so I'd say Dublin would have sold out in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 loughleane

Reading the instructions, it says not to use on wet surface or in rain.

loughleane wrote: »

I'd say you could waterproof it easy enough.

I probably will only use it during dry weather though. Will take car if heavy rain.

And they sell this in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Less people taking the bus -> reduced frequency of bus route -> less buses on the road.

You ain’t no Aristotle.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

You ain’t no Aristotle.

Go on.

Edit: Never mind, just had a glance at your e-scooter rant on the commuting forum.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'd say you could waterproof it easy enough.

I probably will only use it during dry weather though. Will take car if heavy rain.

Whilst it needs to be waterproofed, the problem with the scooters in wet is that they are very unstable and the weeks lose grip very easily

antodeco wrote: »
    Whilst it needs to be waterproofed, the problem with the scooters in wet is that they are very unstable and the weeks lose grip very easily

Possibly though the grips seem solid and I was able to keep it stable on a gritty road going downhill at 20mph.

Now to see if I can change it to show kph instead of mph :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

And they sell this in Ireland...

They've previously sold Mole Repellents here...

Gotta remember, we're not a country to them. Just a checkbox on a stock delivery form.

antodeco wrote: »
    You're probably looking closer to 8/9km max being honest. It's a 36v 4.8mh battery. This will also struggle up hill. Also to remember is that the solid tyres are quite lethal in wet weather.

Thing to be aware of, this isint like a normal scooter that you push along if the battery dies. They are very difficult to "scoot" manually. There is resistance in the wheel due to the motor, plus at nearly 11KG (plus your own weight) it takes ALOT to move

Just on all this....now that I've actually had a chance to use one...

Uphill works fine in general though if you get a steep incline you can actually pedal it along like a normal manual scooter to give it a boost.

In a lot of ways it's more akin to a e-bike since it needs human assistance to start.

I've used it on wet/gritty roads with steep inclines downhill and the grip is fantastic. No slippage here.

Regarding pushing it along, yes freewheeling is possible. In fact it's required when initially starting. You hold down the accelerator and it doesn't automatically move until you physically pedal it up to 2mph.

When finger is off the accelerator the wheels move freely and it can be pedaled if the battery dies.

Took it out for a spin today around a circuit of pathways with very steep inclines and declines. Whole circuit was 5km. Took 15 mins. 1/2 battery still left which is great considering the power used getting my 80kg frame up those hills.

It's light enough to carry around easily when folded.

Honestly can't fault this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

FYI - not sure if these are hard to get, but for anyone interested it looked like there were at around 5 of them in LIDL Leixlip this afternoon. They are after the checkout area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

markfinn wrote: »
    They've previously sold Mole Repellents here...

Gotta remember, we're not a country to them. Just a checkbox on a stock delivery form.

Whats your point. I bought those repellents and it took care of 13 moles.

Just back from a 12km roundtrip with lights on... Handy for a quick visit to the rellies...one bar of juice left so the 13km distance would seem pretty accurate... Still it had me going along at a steady 11mph throughout so no slowdown apparent apart from occasionally needing to give a bit of pedaling on steep inclines

ooter wrote: »

Glasnevin got 8. Sold out to people in the que there since 7am.
    Hanlon’s Corner in Cabra for 4. Sold to people in que.

I got one in Cabra on my way to work. Got there at 7.30. One in front of me. Then within 5 mins one after me.
    Lidl girl came Down and gave the 3 of us a coupon.

Then the que got to about 15-18. Girl came
    Back down at 7.50 and asked who was looking for scooter. Gave the last coupon to him. About 7 people then left the que so I can only assume they wanted a scooter too.

A few in the que for the €49 nextbase dash cam.

I also used the Lidl app and got €5 off the scooter.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    Then the que got to about 15-18.

That's a lot of confused Spanish people!
    Gumbo wrote: »

I also used the Lidl app and got €5 off the scooter.

Same! Every little helps

Advertisement