Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Ciara - Reports/Chat/Non Technical

• 08-02-2020 9:25am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks

New thread for all chat and non-technical discussion in relation to Storm Ciara.

Off ya go....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Hi Folks

New thread for all chat and non-technical discussion in relation to Storm Ciara.

Off ya go....

Lads, what do you think are the chances of an orange upgrade for western counties between now and tomorrow afternoon?

I need to decide in the next few minutes if I have to cancel an event. It’s a sleepover for beaver scouts (ages 6-8)
    It will take place indoors in Clare (Quinn, 30km away from the coast) but these are very young kids and lots of them will be away from home and their parents for the first time so if the weather is going to be worse than the usual yellow level weather overnight or tomorrow morning then this could be a bit scary for them, and the venue is next to a river so is there a risk of flooding in this part of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snow will be the bigger disruptive influence rather than wind over the next few days.

Your a brave breed of frog i tell ye ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Im no weather expert and wouldn't have a clue about charts etc...but I'd postpone it!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Tough call Akrasia!

It would not surprise me if other counties along the western seaboard are added to Orange warning during the day.

KingJeremy wrote: »
    Im no weather expert and wouldn't have a clue about charts etc...but I'd postpone it!

We’re leaning towards this option just from a risk assessment perspective. It would be a huge disappointment for the kids who are really looking forward to it so I don’t want to overreact if it’s a northern county event and Clare just gets a Normal wet and windy February day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Graces7 wrote: »
    Excellent post and fascinating re the cats. Mine are erratic today as they were yesterday. The 3 rescues I took in 18 months ago were street cats and they are staying out now by choice. They have shelter in the sheds here. Clearly feel safer when with an open door and half a roof!.

I learned to respect the weather when in Orkney where fatalities happened if you did not, Same in the islands here. Easy to forget when you are enjoying the thrill, which is also very real and fine.

For me, no great thrill as we are well weathered out here. Well prepared and very respectful indeed. Aware that were I to be careless and need help it would endanger my neighbours and rescuers.

Do you have reinforced windows and doors etc? Any other special protective features of your house? Just curious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Akrasia wrote: »
    Lads, what do you think are the chances of an orange upgrade for western counties between now and tomorrow afternoon?

I need to decide in the next few minutes if I have to cancel an event. It’s a sleepover for beaver scouts (ages 6-8)
    It will take place indoors in Clare (Quinn, 30km away from the coast) but these are very young kids and lots of them will be away from home and their parents for the first time so if the weather is going to be worse than the usual yellow level weather overnight or tomorrow morning then this could be a bit scary for them, and the venue is next to a river so is there a risk of flooding in this part of the country?

The river in Quinn never floods to cause any disruption.
    Its safe enough honestly it wont overflow.
    And from the motorway to Quinn there's never flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,931 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It looks like a beautiful morning out there, what time are the winds expected to ramp up?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pad199207 wrote: »
    Your a brave breed of frog i tell ye ;)

3okkpy.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Should be no problem. Go for it

• Advertisement

Tough call Akrasia!

It would not surprise me if other counties along the western seaboard are added to Orange warning during the day.

It’s a bit frustrating that I cannot rely on Met Eireanns warning system. If I knew it would stay as Yellow then we’d definitely go ahead but they have a habit of keeping the warmings low and raising them at the last minute when it’s too late. It kind of defeats the purpose if we have to make a judgment call based on the current warning and having to guess if it’s going to change within hours of the storm arriving

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mod Note: New chat/non-technical discussion thread opened for Storm Ciara:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058052509

Can we (try and) keep this thread for technical discussion only....and....charts, maps, satellite pics, observations, data and forecasts.

Please post in the appropriate thread.

Moderators will move posts as they deem appropriate.

Please will the mods this time keep a close eye on the chat thread? When this split happened on Lorenzo and Brendan it degenerated into personal attacks and vituperation.

I honestly think it is healthier and wiser to keep to the one thread as surely no great hardship to scroll past posts you do not like.

Blessings and peace

Should be no problem. Go for it

I agree that it’s most likely going to be fine but we had to make the call to postpone it because even a small chance of an upgrade is too much for this group of kids. If they were older and more experienced I would go ahead

Thanks for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

It’s a bit frustrating that I cannot rely on Met Eireanns warning system. If I knew it would stay as Yellow then we’d definitely go ahead but they have a habit of keeping the warmings low and raising them at the last minute when it’s too late. It kind of defeats the purpose if we have to make a judgment call based on the current warning and having to guess if it’s going to change within hours of the storm arriving

Having 2 kids in beavers myself you wont regret postponing it. The rain will be hammering down with v strong winds. I reckon the parents are only waiting for you to cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

It’s a bit frustrating that I cannot rely on Met Eireanns warning system. If I knew it would stay as Yellow then we’d definitely go ahead but they have a habit of keeping the warmings low and raising them at the last minute when it’s too late.

I don't understand this at all, met eireann can only go on the data that's available to them and they make a decision based on their experience, they aren't correct all the time, but show me someone who is.

froog wrote: »
    Do you have reinforced windows and doors etc? Any other special protective features of your house? Just curious.

I live in what is called a "demountable dwelling" ie a good level above a caravan. Very well concreted in! The windows are double glazed and the dwelling lies east west so the gable end faces the prevailing southerlies/south westerlies . Very well insulated. And safe, as the roof in an integral part of the structure, Noisy though.. Trad houses out here are stone with thick walls.. very quiet and solid

As I lived in in Orkney. Solid stone

It kind of trembles in very strong winds but then so do I :eek:;)

PLEASE MAY WE HAVE AN ORANGE BANNER! Thank you; so many threads

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

I agree that it’s most likely going to be fine but we had to make the call to postpone it because even a small chance of an upgrade is too much for this group of kids. If they were older and more experienced I would go ahead

Thanks for your advice

I think you did the right thing. The parents are probably delighted :D
    You can schedule it for another weekend when the weather is a bit more on side and everyone will enjoy it all the more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

aisling86 wrote: »
    Having 2 kids in beavers myself you wont regret postponing it. The rain will be hammering down with v strong winds. I reckon the parents are only waiting for you to cancel.

But he said they'll be indoors.

But there is the getting there in bad weather?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It's actually sunny in Galway this morning and I can see blue skies.
    I thought I wouldn't see any sun for the whole weekend. Small bit breezy and chilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Maggie Benson

It's actually sunny in Galway this morning and I can see blue skies.
    I thought I wouldn't see any sun for the whole weekend. Small bit breezy and chilly.

Thanks Snow Garden but can other posters also indicate what part of the country they live in when giving their local weather updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

I know but I could guarantee he will be calling parents at all hours to come collect. My kids did an overnight last June at a scout camp & there was mayhem during the night with no wind and rain. The kids would be petrified listening to that on their (probably) first ever sleepover without it being family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It looks like we're going to be tormented with stormy weather over the next 10 days or so. Ciara this weekend we may have Dennis next Thursday and Friday and probably Ellen over next weekend according to the gfs charts on netweather.tv and these storms may be more severe than Ciara. And with very cold air in play there is a high prospect of snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Probably a stupid question but is Amber warning in UK the equivalent of orange here? I don’t mean in colour I mean criteria TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Didn’t even know this thread was created
    And it seems most contributors don’t as chat continues away on the old now “technical “ thread .........
    Second thread opened on day of event is pointless imo . It’s all chat now !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

km79 wrote: »

Storm Ciara is tomorrow and then we have it's legacy on Monday/Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

km79 wrote: »
    Didn’t even know this thread was created
    And it seems most contributors don’t as chat continues away on the old now “technical “ thread .........

The mods have started this thread for light and fun chat with regards to this storm. Any photos of upturned trampolines and knocked wheelie bins are welcomed here. Just keep charts and stats to the more serious technical Thread on Storm Ciara.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

aisling86 wrote: »
    I know but I could guarantee he will be calling parents at all hours to come collect. My kids did an overnight last June at a scout camp & there was mayhem during the night with no wind and rain. The kids would be petrified listening to that on their (probably) first ever sleepover without it being family.

Said like a true Irish mammy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Storm Ciara is tomorrow and then we have it's legacy on Monday/Tuesday.

Status orange effective for western counties in just over an hour
    Or are you telling me the hours of wind and rain under these warnings are a seperate even and therefore need another seperate thread .........

Advertisement