Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Life in Sydney

• 26-08-2015 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys, I hope you're all well. It would be great to get your thoughts.

I have been in Sydney for 9 months now, and have got sponsored by my work. My work is paying pretty well and I work in advertising. The work is highly stressful and there are long hours but I am used to this after London.

However, I am finding life here tough. I think there are aspects to absolutely love, the climate for one, I know I will never live in one as good. But I find Sydney to be like a stunning girl with little conversation, great for a fling perhaps, but not for marriage.

I didn't arrive here expecting culture, that would be a akin to an Aussie arriving in Dublin looking for sun. However, there really is a hollowness here that has taken me by surprise. I love sport, played AFL and union for many years, so can more than hold me own, but mention world affairs, books you are reading or play classical music? You're viewed as an eccentric.

Also, I have never been in a place that looks at appearance more. Guys in my work are obsessive about what they eat and if you have a crisp they look at you like your chewing on nuclear waste.

I don't know. I am very confused. There are parts I absolutely love. I live by the beach in Manly and feel incredibly privileged to do so, but there's an aching part of me that longs for some good conversation.

Any long term Aus dwellers feeling the same?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Three words: move to Melbourne!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Yeah I kinda get where ur coming from.
    I used to live in Manly as well, it's an amazing spot but it's very much a beach and surf culture. Sydney isn't very cultural in general but I'd say the vibe ur looking for would be more found in Surry hills, darlinghurst, balmain, erskineville than the Northern beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I think anywhere with a good climate means a greater emphasis on body image. Just look when we get a good spell of weather in Ireland and everyone has the shirt off or the short skirt to show off the tan. If you walk down through Dublin there are so many guys with hipster beards and the like. Cities will always have a greater emphasis on that sort of stuff.
    I am sure if you were living in a more rural part of Oz it would be a different story and the conversation would change. But Ireland is changing. I used to love going for a pint in the local village during the week when the pub was quieter and you could have a good conversaton and a nice few easy pints. But a lot of pubs don't open in the evenings midweek now. You are getting older as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

You're hanging out with the wrong people. There is plenty of culture in Sydney and plenty of people that appreciate it. Yes, there are a lot of assholes and vacant personalities too. But that's cities for you.

Check out What's On In Sydney for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Britch wrote: »
    I love sport, played AFL and union for many years, so can more than hold me own, but mention world affairs, books you are reading or play classical music? You're viewed as an eccentric.
    The exact same could just as easily apply in Ireland.
    It's dependent on the company you keep, not the country you are in.

FWIW I'm in Sydney.
    I think the Australian news coverage is abysmal, particularly world events.
    I like to read, and I read books that I like, but I rarely discuss the book I'm currently reading with others - for example I doubt you'd interested in Eddie Bravo's Rubber Guard (current book). However, if you seen me reading a book you knew and struck up a conversation, I'd be happy to chat about it. If you started talking about a book I had no idea of, I'd be lost.
    I don't like classical music.
    ...My point is that the things you broths up will depend mostly on personal tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

"I find Sydney to be like a stunning girl with little conversation, great for a fling perhaps, but not for marriage."

Mate, you've summed up Sydney there for a lot of people. I love to visit but I'm not sure I could live there (for starters I could never afford a place!) There is a huge emphasis on looking good, particularly in beach side burbs. I visited mid August & while out for brunch near the beach overheard 2 young guys at the next table discussing the merits of coconut water and comparing their water consumption of 1.8 and 1.9L a day. It's just how they roll there. Meanwhile, I was reading about the refugee crisis in Greece on my phone. But I'm from the land of RTE & BBC & a diet of serious news and newspapers from the time I could read. Even here I only tune into ABC & SBS for news.

You just have to adjust to the idiosyncrasies of your new chosen city and/or find like minded people through Meetup or the other site mentioned by another poster. Not everyone is going to have similar interests no matter where you go so you have to seek them out.

Also after living in a place for 6mths or longer, the initial gloss can wear off and you see the place for what it is & the everyday realities (some of which may not float your boat.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Newtown can be a good alternative hangout to Manly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Britch wrote: »
    Hi guys, I hope you're all well. It would be great to get your thoughts.

I have been in Sydney for 9 months now, and have got sponsored by my work. My work is paying pretty well and I work in advertising. The work is highly stressful and there are long hours but I am used to this after London.

However, I am finding life here tough. I think there are aspects to absolutely love, the climate for one, I know I will never live in one as good. But I find Sydney to be like a stunning girl with little conversation, great for a fling perhaps, but not for marriage.

I didn't arrive here expecting culture, that would be a akin to an Aussie arriving in Dublin looking for sun. However, there really is a hollowness here that has taken me by surprise. I love sport, played AFL and union for many years, so can more than hold me own, but mention world affairs, books you are reading or play classical music? You're viewed as an eccentric.

Also, I have never been in a place that looks at appearance more. Guys in my work are obsessive about what they eat and if you have a crisp they look at you like your chewing on nuclear waste.

I don't know. I am very confused. There are parts I absolutely love. I live by the beach in Manly and feel incredibly privileged to do so, but there's an aching part of me that longs for some good conversation.

Any long term Aus dwellers feeling the same?

I spent a year and a half living all over Oz, didn't like the aussies generally, really crass and devoid of tact. I felt my soul get slowly destroyed when I was there.

I even got PR but never used it as I moved back to europe in 2010. I felt Australians were constantly reminded via the media, how 'great' australia is. Perhaps a bit like the emperor has no clothes. In reality its too hot, and full of bores. Beaches are beautiful but you can find them in spain. Cut your losses mate and go with your gut.

BTW half of the Irish I know that went, live in Manly..I'd imagine its a very populous place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I think anywhere with a good climate means a greater emphasis on body image. Just look when we get a good spell of weather in Ireland and everyone has the shirt off or the short skirt to show off the tan. If you walk down through Dublin there are so many guys with hipster beards and the like. Cities will always have a greater emphasis on that sort of stuff.
    I am sure if you were living in a more rural part of Oz it would be a different story and the conversation would change. But Ireland is changing. I used to love going for a pint in the local village during the week when the pub was quieter and you could have a good conversaton and a nice few easy pints. But a lot of pubs don't open in the evenings midweek now. You are getting older as well!

true, when I was in my twenties all I cared about was getting drunk and having sex. I used the gym a lot to look good on a saturday night out in dublin, Pathetic. Now as I'm in my early 30s, I have more depth and a better understanding of my place in the world(maturity basically). Think its just a matter of finding what you like and being clever enough to not worry about the fads of other people, whether thats in Dublin,sydney or London.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

lufties wrote: »
    I felt Australians were constantly reminded via the media, how 'great' australia is. Perhaps a bit like the emperor has no clothes. In reality its too hot, and full of bores.

You can say exactly the same of Ireland. Except for the weather.

• Advertisement
Advertisement