Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Medicare Exemption

• 12-08-2015 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

I've had a medicare exemption cert each year I've been in Oz. I applied for one this year, the only difference being that I am now a permanent resident, Previously I was sponsored.

Applied for PR: September 19th 2014
    Approved PR: March 7th 2015

I assumed I would have been entitled to the exemption from July 2014 until March 2015.
    Turns out I am entitled to the exemption from July 2014 to September 19th 2014 as apparently you can claim for medicare once you have created a PR application.

I still havent actually got around to setting up medicare, I have private health insurance.
    Do I have to pay it even though I wasn't registered for it? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

colman1212 wrote: »
    I've had a medicare exemption cert each year I've been in Oz. I applied for one this year, the only difference being that I am now a permanent resident, Previously I was sponsored.

Applied for PR: September 19th 2014
    Approved PR: March 7th 2015

I assumed I would have been entitled to the exemption from July 2014 until March 2015.
    Turns out I am entitled to the exemption from July 2014 to September 19th 2014 as apparently you can claim for medicare once you have created a PR application.

I still havent actually got around to setting up medicare, I have private health insurance.
    Do I have to pay it even though I wasn't registered for it? Cheers!

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Its not quite as simple as having private health care so don't need medicare. I had a stint in hospital a few weeks back and I'm glad I had both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Sundy wrote: »
    Its not quite as simple as having private health care so don't need medicare. I had a stint in hospital a few weeks back and I'm glad I had both.

Yeah haven't got around to it yet, I'll sort it out. Cheers guys :-)

Advertisement