Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

overnight guests

Options
  • 16-11-2018 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Every winter I rent a room in my house for 6 months. I like having some company and the money are helping me to pay the bills.
    The problem are overnight guests I don't mind the lodger having some friends or boyfriend/girlfriend overnight but I don't like them staying in my home when the lodger is out. I always ask the lodger at the beginning of their stay not leaving their guests in my home when he is not here but unfortunately every year I have the same issue. I have been sharing home in the past with some owner or other flatmates but I never left my guest at home if I was not there. I don't know how to avoid this in the future, maybe the solution is forbidding overnight guests?it is a bit extreme but I really want to rent only to people that are not going to behave in that way. If somebody wants their friends stay at home when they are not there they really should book another type of accommodation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I've never had this issue. Simply tell them at the begining of the period that you allow overnight guests but they have to be out when the lodger is out, failing that it'll be no overnight guests, failing that - kick them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

I've never had this issue. Simply tell them at the begining of the period that you allow overnight guests but they have to be out when the lodger is out, failing that it'll be no overnight guests, failing that - kick them out.

I did wrote down in the contract I gave to the lodger at the beginning of his staying, unfortunately it doesn't work out, maybe I have bad luck

I did wrote down in the contract I gave to the lodger at the beginning of his staying, unfortunately it doesn't work out, maybe I have bad luck

I'd say so, I wouldn't give them a contract just a list of rules. If they break the rules then get rid. I have no issue with overnight guests but I'd be bloody miffed to come home and find the current bo there on their own so you're not being at all unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

I'd say so, I wouldn't give them a contract just a list of rules. If they break the rules then get rid. I have no issue with overnight guests but I'd be bloody miffed to come home and find the current bo there on their own so you're not being at all unreasonable.

I will do a list of rules next time, I probably will allow guests overnight just for 6 days in a month. Thanks for the advise

I will do a list of rules next time, I probably will allow guests overnight just for 6 days in a month. Thanks for the advise

Forgot to say we do something similar - 1 day a week but they can 'bank' them as it were so 2 days every two weeks or they can even have a guest for a week but that would need to be family.

Best of luck with it, you really have your choice of people these days so go with your gut!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Single room, single bed. No overnighters. Lodger can stay with friends elsewhere.

I'd even lower the rent to achieve this. Honestly. Enough for a lodger to be living with you, but not all and sundry!

I know I am a bit odd in that regard, but that would be the only option for me if I needed to do it.

The compromise would be as Samuel T. says, 1 night per week. I might stretch to that!

But the issue doesn't appear to be overnighters, rather the overnighters are in your home when the lodger isn't. Nope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

I think you are right, it's one thing in a shared house but in a owner occupied house it seems over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If you find a lodger there unattended, order them out. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Think it's a bit cheeky of your lodger letting a guest stay overnight and then leave them in your property while they've gone off to work or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Think it's a bit cheeky of your lodger letting a guest stay overnight and then leave them in your property while they've gone off to work or wherever.

Just this - you are renting to the lodger not their partner/friend/fiance - taking the piss really when they are not there
    One night every weekend for the special someone to stay over is gracious enough - want more then find your own place, beyond that is a no no. Wouldn't even let them bank up the nights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement