Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due March 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Booking GP appointment for this week. According to the App I am 6 weeks and 5 days along. So nervous about the first scan. Can they do this in GP or do we need to attend hospital for this?

Resisting the urge to start stockpiling baby essentials!

Still no morning sickness, which I know is a blessing but I have myself worked up now that this means a less healthy pregnancy (have to stop looking at google for everything!).

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a good GP in Dublin city centre? I want somewhere convenient for lunch break appointments etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Booking GP appointment for this week. According to the App I am 6 weeks and 5 days along. So nervous about the first scan. Can they do this in GP or do we need to attend hospital for this?

Resisting the urge to start stockpiling baby essentials!

Still no morning sickness, which I know is a blessing but I have myself worked up now that this means a less healthy pregnancy (have to stop looking at google for everything!).

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a good GP in Dublin city centre? I want somewhere convenient for lunch break appointments etc. :)

Step away from Google! It’s lethal 😉
    Congratulations on your pregnancy. I did semi private and shared care on my first pregnancy and my GP would use the Doppler to listen for the heartbeat at each visit but didn’t have a scanning machine available.
    Legally you’re entitled to time off work for all ante natal appointments and so don’t have to take them during your lunchtime if you don’t want to.
    With regard to picking a GP I’d suggest getting one close to your home. It will be your point of all for vaccinations, etc with your baby once it’s on the outside and trekking into town might not be the easiest or most convenient option for you then.

Step away from Google! It’s lethal ��
    Congratulations on your pregnancy. I did semi private and shared care on my first pregnancy and my GP would use the Doppler to listen for the heartbeat at each visit but didn’t have a scanning machine available.
    Legally you’re entitled to time off work for all ante natal appointments and so don’t have to take them during your lunchtime if you don’t want to.
    With regard to picking a GP I’d suggest getting one close to your home. It will be your point of all for vaccinations, etc with your baby once it’s on the outside and trekking into town might not be the easiest or most convenient option for you then.

Oh that's clever - I hadn't considered that!

When you say semi private and shared care, was that midwife led? I don't even know where to start.

Oh that's clever - I hadn't considered that!

When you say semi private and shared care, was that midwife led? I don't even know where to start.

I did semi private in th Coombe. It’s cost €750 and I had every second appointment with my GP. The pregnancy was straightforward and there were no issues at all with that.
    I’m not sure what their options are re: midwife only care as it wasn’t something I explored. When it came to labour and delivery I went early (36 weeks) and had a midwife and student all through it which was fine and again there were no issues with that part of things. I did have issues with delivering the placenta afterwards and a doctor needed to be called. That is a longer story and didn’t work out so well for me, would have been easier if he had actually listened to the midwife though!
    Holles St run th domino service which is midwife led.

I did semi private in th Coombe. It’s cost €750 and I had every second appointment with my GP. The pregnancy was straightforward and there were no issues at all with that.
    I’m not sure what their options are re: midwife only care as it wasn’t something I explored. When it came to labour and delivery I went early (36 weeks) and had a midwife and student all through it which was fine and again there were no issues with that part of things. I did have issues with delivering the placenta afterwards and a doctor needed to be called. That is a longer story and didn’t work out so well for me, would have been easier if he had actually listened to the midwife though!
    Holles St run th domino service which is midwife led.

Thanks for this information :) I will look into Holles St. The only reason I am thinking of midwife led is apparently you will have the same one all along, though I must check that as it seems to good to be true! Did the 750 include a consultant's fee?

• Advertisement

Thanks for this information :) I will look into Holles St. The only reason I am thinking of midwife led is apparently you will have the same one all along, though I must check that as it seems to good to be true! Did the 750 include a consultant's fee?

God no! The €750 really just got me shorter wait times in the semi private clinic, I saw a junior doctor each time and had a mini scan and then a bed in a semi private ward post delivery. The anomaly scan at 20 weeks cost €130 (I think it’s avout that I can’t remember the exact four.

Privately the fee is €3500 (this is dependent on the consultant).

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭apple26

Hi all, due 8th March, first pregnancy.

Have decided to go Private. Have booked early pregnancy scan for Saturday as waiting to hear from Consultant re appointment. Have felt bloated and nauseous (and very pregnant!) for the last few weeks until yesterday. No now longer feeling bloated or nauseous and can't help feel anxious that something is wrong. Hope I'm over-reacting! Will find out more on Saturday.

It's great to have somewhere to talk about being pregnant as we haven't told anyone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

I'm in Cork so it'll be CUMH

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sillysuz

Started bleeding at 5 weeks and 2 days. Went into Holles st, they did cervix exam (still closed) and took blood to check hcg levels.. They came back at 74.. repeat bloods on Friday. Keeping everything crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alicelynch28

sillysuz wrote: »
    Started bleeding at 5 weeks and 2 days. Went into Holles st, they did cervix exam (still closed) and took blood to check hcg levels.. They came back at 74.. repeat bloods on Friday. Keeping everything crossed

I hope everything will be okay for you. I have my early scan next Tuesday (will be exactly 8 weeks) and I'm terrified they won't be able to find a heartbeat or something.

It's my first pregnancy so I am new to all this. I have never had any bleeding and have some pregnancy symptoms (sore breasts, nausea, no period) so hoping I am just over-worrying and that all will be okay... the next few days are gonna be torture waiting!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 alicelynch28

I hope everything will be okay for you. I have my early scan next Tuesday (will be exactly 8 weeks) and I'm terrified they won't be able to find a heartbeat or they wont be able to find the sac or something.

It's my first pregnancy so I am new to all this. I have never had any bleeding and have some pregnancy symptoms (sore breasts, nausea, no period) so hoping I am just over-worrying and that all will be okay... the next few days are gonna be torture waiting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sillysuz

I hope everything will be okay for you. I have my early scan next Tuesday (will be exactly 8 weeks) and I'm terrified they won't be able to find a heartbeat or they wont be able to find the sac or something.

Thanks Alice, fingers crossed for you. I had a miscarriage in May so I'm worrying because of that. Everything sounds like it's going good for you so hopefully you'll be put at ease when you have your scan. The waiting around is definetly the worst part

Anyone else really exhausted all the time? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 emmajane_k

apple26 wrote: »
    Hi all, due 8th March, first pregnancy.

Have decided to go Private. Have booked early pregnancy scan for Saturday as waiting to hear from Consultant re appointment. Have felt bloated and nauseous (and very pregnant!) for the last few weeks until yesterday. No now longer feeling bloated or nauseous and can't help feel anxious that something is wrong. Hope I'm over-reacting! Will find out more on Saturday.

It's great to have somewhere to talk about being pregnant as we haven't told anyone yet.

I am due the day after you and feel exactly the same. Today I feel fine, but yesterday I was making a nest on the bathroom floor in work to try take a 15 minute nap! The anxiety is really hard but trying to stay positive.

Did you book your early scan privately? I phoned to book in with my private consultant today and cannot get my first appointment until 13 weeks which just seems like an age away. I feel like I'm paying out this large amount of money currently feeling totally uncared for! Not sure what to do now..whether private is worth it, so confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭apple26

emmajane_k wrote: »
    I am due the day after you and feel exactly the same. Today I feel fine, but yesterday I was making a nest on the bathroom floor in work to try take a 15 minute nap! The anxiety is really hard but trying to stay positive.

Did you book your early scan privately? I phoned to book in with my private consultant today and cannot get my first appointment until 13 weeks which just seems like an age away. I feel like I'm paying out this large amount of money currently feeling totally uncared for! Not sure what to do now..whether private is worth it, so confused.

Yes, the exhaustion was immense for the first few weeks. Thankfully I haven't been physically sick, just a nauseous feeling and appetite a bit off. All that seems to have settled in the last two days and that's why I'm concerned.

We booked the early pregnancy scan with a private scan clinic. Cost is €80 but at least it's peace of mind if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

Just jumping in here from December thread :) is it the domino scheme you are thinking of doing? I don’t think you are guaranteed to meet the same midwife every time but rather a team. I am doing it and although I’ve only had one appointment so far, there has been no waiting time and the lady I met was so sweet and reassuring :) every second appointment is with your doctor and there is no expense. I actually was covered for private by my insurance but decided to do the midwife led scheme after talking to my doctor and hearing how others got on. If you are low risk, then I would suggest considering this option, providing you fall into the catchment area.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beanie5

Hi All,

I'm due March 3rd so 10 weeks today ☺ had an early scan at 8 weeks and it definitely helped make me feel less anxious seeing the little beans heart beat.

Shouldn't be complaining because I hear it's a great sign, but my morning sickness has been so bad the last three weeks I'm out of work and spending all day in bed. It lasts all day and I can vomit up to 4 times a day. Doctor did give me a shot last week that eased things but it only lasted a day. He wants to see if that breaks the cycle because he doesn't want to put me on any medication if we can help it. Seems to be ramping up since though rather than getting better. Anyone else have this? This is my first so dunno what to expect or when things might get a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Amber 123

Beanie5 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm due March 3rd so 10 weeks today ☺ had an early scan at 8 weeks and it definitely helped make me feel less anxious seeing the little beans heart beat.

Shouldn't be complaining because I hear it's a great sign, but my morning sickness has been so bad the last three weeks I'm out of work and spending all day in bed. It lasts all day and I can vomit up to 4 times a day. Doctor did give me a shot last week that eased things but it only lasted a day. He wants to see if that breaks the cycle because he doesn't want to put me on any medication if we can help it. Seems to be ramping up since though rather than getting better. Anyone else have this? This is my first so dunno what to expect or when things might get a bit better.

Popping in from the Dec thread to let you know that morning sickness does get better! I was crippled for about a month but it eased off around 12 weeks. I found that eating little and often really helped me. Never let yourself get hungry! Eat the minute you get out of bed in the morning. Starchy filling foods work better than light foods. Those Belvita breakfast biscuits saved my life. Obviously keep us touch with your doc because severe cases can require medication but I just wanted to give you some insight and some hope. Mind yourself x

I am really freaking out here. Went to GP on Friday after work. Explained what it was for. Gave urine sample. He did a test on it but over near the sink not where I could see. Then he was asking questions about medical history and preferred care option. Did blood pressure height weight etc. Talked to me about all the usual stuff and recommended a nearby hospital. All grand until... Last night I opened the letter he wrote for Rotunda and it had all my info such as LMP, EDD etc. And beside "urine" it said negative?! Wouldn't he have said if it was neg? I'm freaking out in case it's stopped being viable or is something else 😑

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beanie5

Hi Oldnotwise, try not to panic too much yet. You're GP really should have explained everything to you in the first place.
    When I went in and told my GP I was pregnant he did the same, took a urine sample and did a test, and like that it came back negative. He told me that the tests they use they get in bulk and they're really cheap, not as sensitive as we'll say a clear blue one that you'd have taken at home. Plus I was only 5 weeks along and it was halfway through the day so the hormone levels in the urine weren't as high.
    My GP just to be sure got me to drop in a sample of my first morning urine the next day and retested. Came back positive but even at that with the faintest line.
    If you got a positive at home I really wouldn't worry too much.

Beanie5 wrote: »
    Hi Oldnotwise, try not to panic too much yet. You're GP really should have explained everything to you in the first place.
    When I went in and told my GP I was pregnant he did the same, took a urine sample and did a test, and like that it came back negative. He told me that the tests they use they get in bulk and they're really cheap, not as sensitive as we'll say a clear blue one that you'd have taken at home. Plus I was only 5 weeks along and it was halfway through the day so the hormone levels in the urine weren't as high.
    My GP just to be sure got me to drop in a sample of my first morning urine the next day and retested. Came back positive but even at that with the faintest line.
    If you got a positive at home I really wouldn't worry too much.
    Thanks! I'm running to pharmacy now to get a test! He was a but rushed and not to fussed in the consultation. So hoping it was a typo o something. I'm seven weeks so it should have been positive even at that time of day? God why do they use cheap ones if the doctor is the first place you go to confirm lol

I am really freaking out here. Went to GP on Friday after work. Explained what it was for. Gave urine sample. He did a test on it but over near the sink not where I could see. Then he was asking questions about medical history and preferred care option. Did blood pressure height weight etc. Talked to me about all the usual stuff and recommended a nearby hospital. All grand until... Last night I opened the letter he wrote for Rotunda and it had all my info such as LMP, EDD etc. And beside "urine" it said negative?! Wouldn't he have said if it was neg? I'm freaking out in case it's stopped being viable or is something else 😑

Hi Oldnotwise, don’t freak out! I’m 21 weeks and my doc and the midwife keep writing “negative” next to my routine urine test. I think I’ve hard three at this point. I think it refers to something else - not whether or not your pregnant! We have seen our baby squirming around on the ultrasound twice now so I can definitively say that I’m pregnant! Am sure the test will confirm for you this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Hi I'm behind you all in the April thread. I got a positive First Response test but negative Boots ones over a few days. They should have detected a hcg level of 25. I was freaking out and thought of course it was a chemical pregnancy. Long story short the urine hcg doesn't correspond to the blood one. My doctor did bloods to see what was going on as their test also negative and blood hcg was 170!! So don't worry too much about those pee strips. This week (week 5) they are all registering a faint positive and if I hadn't had the blood test I would have been thinking the worst.

They also do a dipstick test for bacteria and stuff so maybe that's the 'negative'.

Amber 123 wrote: »
    Hi Oldnotwise, don’t freak out! I’m 21 weeks and my doc and the midwife keep writing “negative” next to my routine urine test. I think I’ve hard three at this point. I think it refers to something else - not whether or not your pregnant! We have seen our baby squirming around on the ultrasound twice now so I can definitively say that I’m pregnant! Am sure the test will confirm for you this morning.
    Thank you! And congrats on your pregnancy. Wish we were that far in lol. Can barely wait for pharmacy to open!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Hi oldnotwise, jumping in from Oct thread to say that he might not have been performing a pregnancy test at all, and was probably doing a rapid urine test, which he could be saying tested negative for white blood cells, therefore indicating that you don't have an infection or anything

If it were a negative pregnancy test he probably would have discussed this with you and it's unlikely he'd be recording your EDD. First Response are the most sensitive tests per ml of urine as far as I know, try them or clearblue if you want some reassurance. Good luck it is such an anxious time in the early days

Just got a BFP with clear blue! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

OldNotWIse wrote:
    Just got a BFP with clear blue!

Yay!!!

Just got a BFP with clear blue! :)

Hurray! Congratulations!x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 pp1401