Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AirBnB Megathread - ALL A&P related Airbnb discussion here please

• 19-03-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Anyone know an insurance company or broker who can provide cover for airbnb activity in your home?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your standard household insurance will cover public liability to any visitors, paying or otherwise. It should also cover any serious damage (flooding, etc) caused by such visitors. But it would be a good idea to confirm both with your insurer.

What it won't cover is theft by any visitors, or any injuries caused by you, to guests - e.g. food poisoning.

You're really looking for B&B cover, which most insurance companies can offer. The cost should be small enough, depends on how many people you take in per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

I have checked with my standard home insurer and they said very clearly they would not cover it and I should cancel my insurance with them if we wanted to do airbnb.

Have emailed various B&B/guesthouse brokers and will update if I get satisfactory cover. But anyone else has tips or experience to share I'd be all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irishablue

My landlord is fine with me subletting a room through aibnb BUT ONLY if it can be covered by public liability.
    Because what airbnb offers is not an insurance and the terms of it does sound pretty dodgy if you ask me. It says that it doesn't replace a renters insurance or a homeowners insurance. And most of all it doesn't cover public liability in Ireland.
    BEWARE: There is no insurance company that will cover this!!
    My landlord has been trying to get this insured insurance but they can't get it insured and I've spend a whole day on the phone with insurance companies. It's impossible to get insurance in Ireland for subletting!!
    It's also impossible to get a b&b insurance on a rented property. And don't think that it would fall under the rent a room scheme because it doesn't.
    If your hosting on aibnb you are running a business and you can only get insurance for it if you own the property and it will have to be a b&b insurance.
    Airbnb conveniently neglects to mention this.
    If I haven't been informed right please let me know where I or my landlord can get a liability insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

Irishablue wrote: »
    And don't think that it would fall under the rent a room scheme because it doesn't.

Normal home insurance does not cover rentaroom either because the policy proposal asks if you rent a room for money in the home or some question akin to that.

Hi, just letting you know I got a quote eventually to cover house insurance and airbnb. Dearer than normal but not excessively so. I emailed various brokers around the country and one came up with the goods. I think it's a Lloyds policy in the end looking at the documentation. Seems to go through an Irish and a UK broker.

Who'd have thought it's be so tricky?

I assume I'm not allowed say what broker found it for me??? :confused: But if you PM I'll pass on her details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jussayeh

Hi ellee
    Could you pm please?!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

I know Allianz's Household policy can cover up to 12 guests if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Queen Maeve

Hi Ellie,
    How do I pm you to get the details of your insurance co? I need to get some pronto!
    I am not very well up on using this site - haven't been on for awhile....
    I would appreciate it if you get back to me - with pm or telling me how to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Paulpaul10835

ellee wrote: »
    Hi, just letting you know I got a quote eventually to cover house insurance and airbnb. Dearer than normal but not excessively so. I emailed various brokers around the country and one came up with the goods. I think it's a Lloyds policy in the end looking at the documentation. Seems to go through an Irish and a UK broker.

Who'd have thought it's be so tricky?

I assume I'm not allowed say what broker found it for me??? :confused: But if you PM I'll pass on her details.

Hi would really like to know who gave the quote

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Liamo83

Hi Elle

I sent you a PM yesterday. Can you let me know who you use for AiRBnB cover in Ireland?

I must have called everyone provider and nobody wants to know..

Thanks
    Liam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The op hasn't posted in a number of months so I'd suggest maybe calling Air BnB for advice.

Hi,
    I am following Ellie's advice and have been in contact with the same broker, who sent me a form.
    If you want the info, pm me and I will give it to you, as I believe I cannot put it up here.

Contacting Air BNB for anything these days seems to be very difficult! and they can't help with this anyway - you need to take care of your own house insurance.
    I empathise with the post looking for information.
    Maeve

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Liamo83

Thanks- AirBnB will just tell you that they have the Host Protection but that this does not cover all eventualities. That it should be used as well as rather than instead of regular Home Insurance/ Landlord Insurance.

The problem is nobody will provide Home Insurance or Landlord insurance once you mention the dreaded words- AIRBNB!!

Thanks Maeve- I am PMing you now...

For anyone who cannot get hold of me, I found my provider by ringing insurers and brokers for guesthouses and b&b's.

Try that if I don't respond as I am not always readily available to answer!

E

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

I have the same problem can anybody suggest me an Insurance for Airbnb?

Hi there,
    Sorry not to get back sooner - I have been away and then ill!

So, to those who have been asking me about Insurance for Air BNB, I finally got it sorted a few days ago.
    It cost me a bout €100 more than my current insurance, but I have a complicated set-up, for which I have to pay extra anyway.

It is so worth it to have the ease of mind, as I was worried about it all for weeks.

I don't think I am allowed to put broker's details on here....

Just pm me if anybody still wants the details.

Queen Maeve!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Les44

Hi Queen M,

I have just sent you a pm there. Struggling to find one on my own!

Thanks!

Les44 wrote: »
    Hi Queen M,

I have just sent you a pm there. Struggling to find one on my own!

Thanks!

I sent you a pm with the broker's details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I sent you a pm with the broker's details

Doesn't Airbnb state on their website that they cover hosts for any damage done. To what extent I don't know. You of course can get your own additional insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Nope: "Airbnb stealth-updates terms of service, says it's not an insurer and requires binding arbitration"
    http://boingboing.net/2016/05/20/airbnb-stealth-updates-terms-o.html

• Advertisement

Doesn't Airbnb state on their website that they cover hosts for any damage done. To what extent I don't know. You of course can get your own additional insurance.

I am not sure about Airbnb. I don't work only with Airbnb, I work with other websites and I also host students

Hi to all who have been on to me about getting insurance for Air BNB letting....
    I have been extremely busy for the past month - I simply haven't had time with all my work to get back to each request individually with the info - haven't even had time to look at them! And feel guilty about that but....

Is it the case that I cannot just put the name of the broker on here in public forum, so that all of you who need it can get it??? seems such a drag - I am NOT advertising anything for myself! - just want to help people out, as I know what a worry it is now, knowing that your property is not insured at all, if you have Air BNB guests.

SO HERE IS MY SOLUTION:
    Could anyone who wants that info from me just private message me your e-mail address and I will then be able to send one e-mail with BCC to all of you? Will that work?
    Or please tell me if there is a way to just do a group pm on here - I find the pms a bit strange to use myself.....not very savvy with that sort of thing! But I am willing to learn.....
    All the best to all you Air BNBs out there!

Queen Maeve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Is it the case that I cannot just put the name of the broker on here in public forum, so that all of you who need it can get it???

Yes, as per forum charter.

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HelenCor

Hi there
    I'd be so grateful if someone could PM details of the insurer(s) that cover Airbnb rental (particularly those that cover subletting, as I do Airbnb with my landlord's permission). I have PMed several of the posters above, but just wanted to err on the side of caution, in case they can't respond. I need to arrange it urgently! Thanks so much in advance.
    Helen

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jaydep

Hi there. I'm in the same boat as HelenCor above and would therefore be so grateful if someone could PM details of the insurer(s) that cover Airbnb rental as I've had no luck to date and need to arrange it urgently. Thanks so much in advance.

Dear people who are messaging me about this,
    I really don't have the time to message the sheer number pf people who are asking me for the broker.
    I have done a group e-mail to all those who have sent me their e-mail addresses. That is the best I can do, when I have a minute, like now.

Sooo......

I just tried to post the information, but it was blocked, so I had to delete it - don't know what to do about that!
    If anyone wants to send me their e-mail addresses I will send it on again when I have time....

Best of luck!
    Queen Maeve

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HelenCor

Hi all

I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who responded. It's been incredibly helpful and I finally have my insurance set up. Hopefully I'll have no cause to use the insurance, but it's there if I do.

Very best wishes

Helen

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭_kookie

I dont know if I should be posting this here or in the business section but I have some questions for the good folk of boards.ie.

Due to general pain in the a ss of my last tenant and the way my hands are tied by our lovely government I have decided that I have had it with regular renting of my rental property and am going with AirBnB to see how it goes for 6 months or so. I can always change back easily if AirBnB doesnt work out.

I have set up my account with AirBnB and taken my first bookings, the first of which is due to arrive on Monday.

I have a few questions though on how to proceed.
    AirBnB are a bit slow answering my questions, so im getting anxious.

I have arrangements for a cleaning lady to do all the meet and greet and answering of phone calls plus the cleaning etc for which she will be paid. But she is on holiday for two weeks so i'll do it myself for the first two weeks.

Do you leave the cleaning equipment etc in the apartment or take it with you when you go in to clean?

I assume that you only clean at the end of a tenants stay?

Is there an official inspection procedure, or do you just look around and check if all is in order at the end of the stay?

What if I cant be there when they are leaving? Is it mandatory?

For tax, can I write off cleaning supplies etc?
    And for tax I am assuming I cant write off 75% of the interest. Is it zero or 100% that I write off? Not that it matters becaue if it goes as well as i am being told, the income will more than double anyway. But it would be nice to write off as much as possible two?

Im sure i'll get better at it as the weeks go on and i gain experience. Its just all new at the moment. Im a well seasoned LL, but AirBnB is new to me.

I will come back here and help anyone else as I learn to return the favour.
    I'll also leave updates of how i am getting on, be it good or bad, in case it might help someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭_kookie

No takers?
    I thought there would be a few here who did AirBnb.
    Whatever I find or experiences I have I will post back here for the benefit of others in the future.
    Hopefully it can be a sort of knowledge sink, like that "Property portfolio" thread that I found a really good read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

OP, from this and your other thread, I would suggest meeting with a professional to ensure you get the full rundown on your obligations with regards the legalities and tax issues.

Apart from that, any AirBnB I've been to has operated like this:
    The place is only cleaned between lets if you're letting the entire place rather than a spare bedroom. What kind of cleaning equipment? If it's just a hoover and a mop and bucket that you can store in a cupboard, I'd leave it there.
    There is no inspection procedure. As far as I'm aware there is an insurance policy which AirBnB provides in case of damage by someone staying.
    You will need to sort out your key handover situation. This means either having someone meet them to drop off/collect the key or having a keypad locked box where the key can be stored between lets.

Advertisement