Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

As far as i know Mary Curtis head of Saorview said she is still waiting to hear from the BAI if there are any expressions of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Stinicker wrote: »
    Is there anything happening with regards RTE1 + 1, My Panasonic is giving it as encrypted?
    My Panasonic is doing the same.

Was the same on my Sony for the last week or so but appearS to be gone now, also I see the epg data is up for RTÉ1 +1.

Any info in regards to the expression of interest period that the BAI had?
    As far as i know Mary Curtis head of Saorview said she is still waiting to hear from the BAI if there are any expressions of interest.

http://www.iftn.ie/digital/DigitalNews/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4283917&tpl=archnews&force=1
    IFTN: Will any more RTÉ or non-RTÉ channels be included in the SAORVIEW line-up before its 2012 launch?

Mary Curtis:The BAI recently asked for Expressions of Interest for the platform and we are waiting to hear the outcome from that.

If RTÉ was to apply for additional services on the platform it would have to undergo a Public Value test and Sectoral Impact Assessment as outlined in Section 130 of the Broadcasting Act as was the case for the RTÉ Jr, RTÉ Two HD and RTÉ News Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

The Cush wrote: »
    Was the same on my Sony for the last week or so but appearS to be gone now, also I see the epg data is up for RTÉ1 +1.

Yes. Another thing I notice is that the EPG guide on my Sony W4000 TV only gives info for the current programme, but my LG (LH2000 model) gives info for future programmes as well. Why the difference I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

So when we buy one of these Saorview things will we not be able to get BBC or ITV anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

No Green button in operation yet...
    I thought this would also come online with the official launch of Saorview

Lahm wrote: »
    So when we buy one of these Saorview things will we not be able to get BBC or ITV anymore?

They were never there in the first place. How do you get them now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Souriau wrote: »
    No Green button in operation yet...
    I thought this would also come online with the official launch of Saorview

Is there a green button planned lol - any details?? just like the red to green post boxes - we take another :D:D

digital aertel looks decent i must admit...they could add video to it maybe? i like the new rte news now layout. looks alot more sleek...hopefully they will develope more content for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are five buttons (at least)

Text, Red, Green, Yellow, Blue

Each MHEG5 application accessible direct from screen can use any of these five buttons.
    Text is usually for replacement of EBU Teletext.
    Red is usually for Interactive, but Blue often used.
    The earlier demo was an EPG. Freesat doesn't use MHEG5 for EPG, it uses a proprietary scheme.

So using a Green button is IMO more about function than Red and Green Letter boxes. But I could be wrong ;)

The "green button" epg test happened last June, but nothing since - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055933065

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Yes. Another thing I notice is that the EPG guide on my Sony W4000 TV only gives info for the current programme, but my LG (LH2000 model) gives info for future programmes as well. Why the difference I wonder?

Same on my Sony (KDL 40) - just get now and next info effectively. Not a deal breaker but it would be handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

The Cush wrote: »
    They were never there in the first place. How do you get them now?

If you live around Northern Ireland you get them on analogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Lahm wrote: »

If you receive BBC and ITV via spillover I assume that you should still be able to receive BBC and ITV via spillover if you are currently using a Freeveiw set top box. Saorview STBs are backward compatible with FreeView for those in spillover areas (anyone else want to expand on that if I have it wrong).

The TV channels currently on Saorview pay to be on the platform. If BBC, ITV and Channel 4 want to be on the saorview platform they would have to pay to be on the service. However we have at least suggested a basic swap between BBC NI and RTÉ/TG4 but AFAIK both RTÉ and TG4 will pay to appear on FreeView in the North.

The BBC, ITV and Channel4 all charge Sky and UPC to be on those platforms I don't think they particularly want to loose that revenue by going FTA on terrestrial TV in ROI. However ITV ditched UPC in the last 2 months because of rights issues possible both Setanta and TV3 kicked up a fuss, so it unlikely we will ever see ITV have opt out advertising for ROI viewers like Channel 4.

Other channels that might appear

Oirechtas TV and the Irish Film Channel. TV3 +1 anyone? Though TV3 did once have plans for 3TODAY (a news service) and 3XPOSE (an entertainment news service).

N.I. Analogue is closing in 2012.

You need "Freesat HD" box or telly in N.I. or nearby to get the UK Freeview, Freeview HD (2012) and Saorview.

watty wrote: »
    N.I. Analogue is closing in 2012.

You need "Freesat HD" box or telly in N.I. or nearby to get the UK Freeview, Freeview HD (2012) and Saorview.

Saorview box or telly will work with Freeview. No?

Not with Freeview HD.
    Which starts in 2012 in NI.

Also Freeview/Freeview PVRs exist. No Saorview ones yet.

There are about 20+ odd channels to watch on Freeview/Freeview HD (more actual channels).
    There are really five channels of content on Saorview (IMO RTE News now and RTEjr/RTE1+1 are not real channels). If you have a good Freeview signal then a "Freeview HD" box makes most/more sense as it can tune Saorview. A regular "Freeview" or "Freeview+" box (and many TVs) can't tune Saorview at all.

http://www.saortv.info/free-uk-tv/
    http://www.saortv.info/channels/uk-televison/
    http://www.saortv.info/about/n-i-digital/

There are really five channels of content on Saorview (IMO RTE News now and RTEjr/RTE1+1 are not real channels). If you have a good Freeview signal then a "Freeview HD" box makes most/more sense as it can tune Saorview. A regular "Freeview" or "Freeview+" box (and many TVs) can't tune Saorview at all.]

If you are going to count 3e as a channel then I think RTÉ NN/RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1 could be consider 1 :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Not with Freeview HD.
    Which starts in 2012 in NI.

Also Freeview/Freeview PVRs exist. No Saorview ones yet.

There are about 20+ odd channels to watch on Freeview/Freeview HD (more actual channels).
    There are really five channels of content on Saorview (IMO RTE News now and RTEjr/RTE1+1 are not real channels). If you have a good Freeview signal then a "Freeview HD" box makes most/more sense as it can tune Saorview. A regular "Freeview" or "Freeview+" box (and many TVs) can't tune Saorview at all.

http://www.saortv.info/free-uk-tv/
    http://www.saortv.info/channels/uk-televison/
    http://www.saortv.info/about/n-i-digital/

my humax freeviewHD+ is receiving saorview

Yes, of course it does. I've said it would from the start.
    BUT it's not 100% compatible, it's not Saorview certified. It's not a Saorview PVR. Just Freeview HD PVR that happens to be able to receive Saorview.

We have no idea yet even if the "Series Link" works as RTE is not transmitting it and D-Book is "secret" so we don't know if it is compatible with Nordig PVR series link. Even if it's not in D-Book it may (or may not) be implemented anyway. Really only Panasonic takes a stupid interpretation of D-Book.

BUT it's not 100% compatible, it's not Saorview certified. It's not a Saorview PVR. Just Freeview HD PVR that happens to be able to receive Saorview.

We have no idea yet even if the "Series Link" works as RTE is not transmitting it and D-Book is "secret" so we don't know if it is compatible with Nordig PVR series link. Even if it's not in D-Book it may (or may not) be implemented anyway. Really only Panasonic takes a stupid interpretation of D-Book.

So just to make this clear: -

1. Saorview Approved TV/STBs work with Freeview in spillover areas
    2. Freeview HD TV/STBs so far work with Saorview
    3. Saorview TVs/STBs are not compatible with Freeview HD.

Will freeview continue to air or is it to be completely replaced by FreeView HD?

Are there any Freeview HD/Saorview approved TV/STBs?

Best combo Saorview/Freesat?

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Will freeview continue to air or is it to be completely replaced by FreeView HD?

Are there any Freeview HD/Saorview approved TV/STBs?

Freeview DVB-T/MPEG-2 continues, no plans announced for switchover of freeview services to freeview-HD DVB-T2/MPEG-4.

It may happen down the road but it would mean a DSO like changeover for viewers with freeview (DVB-T/MPEG-2) only equipment.

Regarding Freeview HD/Saorview approved TV/STBs I'm not sure but I guess if you go through the list e.g. Sony Saorview approved TVs you may find some with DVB-T2 tuners (I think any Sony TV with product no. ending in 3 is DVB-T2).

Im able to series link via media centre so does it not come down to the set top box or equipment you use for series link to work?

RTE is not transmitting any "series link" yet. If you have "series link" it's "guessed" by program title matching, not a real "Series link" provided by broadcaster.

RTE is not transmitting any "series link" yet. If you have "series link" it's "guessed" by program title matching, not a real "Series link" provided by broadcaster.

Aye cheers for the clarification..its a handy facility for recording i must admit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Elmo wrote: »
    The TV channels currently on Saorview pay to be on the platform. If BBC, ITV and Channel 4 want to be on the saorview platform they would have to pay to be on the service.

TV3 currently don't pay

SPDUB wrote: »
    TV3 currently don't pay

According to 2 recent Dáil questions they have to pay once the Saorview service launched i.e. Thursday/Saturday.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72313829

The question should be asked in the Dail again. Now that it has launched.

Colum Kenny :rolleyes: he is part of the BAI board you would think that he would have fought for the introduction of the Film Channel or RTÉ Plus to provide more choice to the audience only he is of the oppinion
    Competitors complain that once again the dominant position of RTE in the Irish market will be reinforced.

There is no sign of a promised Irish film channel. And the ability of RTE to offer much that is new has been constrained by the station being forced to increase its subsidy to TG4 and to subsidise the free TV licence scheme for social welfare recipients.

And few politicians fully understand the true cost of TV productions that actually win audiences.

Sky will be pleased. For those who can afford it, one option is to subscribe to a Sky dish instead of the cheaper but more limited Saorview. But there is no guarantee that either UPC or Sky will relay RTE's new services via cable and satellite, or place them on their systems next to existing Irish channels.

Already enjoying a dominance in the digital delivery market in Ireland, Sky's overseas platform is now set to add extra Irish homes to the 650,000 that already subscribe to it. It is yet another way in which Ireland's sovereignty has been compromised by weak government.

And a weak BAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ftakeith wrote: »
    Already enjoying a dominance in the digital delivery market in Ireland, Sky's overseas platform is now set to add extra Irish homes to the 650,000 that already subscribe to it.

Seems to me that Sky have been losing lots of customers and not extending their customer base ....... I see no other reason for them to change their pricing policy so drastically.

I know I have been 'bombarded' by calls and flyers with great 'offers' since I stopped my Sky sub in Dec last.

No thanks Sky ..... you ripped me off for too long .....

• Advertisement

Seems to me that Sky have been losing lots of customers and not extending their customer base ....... I see no other reason for them to change their pricing policy so drastically.

I know I have been 'bombarded' by calls and flyers with great 'offers' since I stopped my Sky sub in Dec last.

No thanks Sky ..... you ripped me off for too long .....

Saorview has loads of live fta sport such as
    37 live first choice uefa champions league football games on rte2hd and tv3
    17 live first choice uefa europa league football games on 3e and tv3
    every rep of ire competitive football game by law on saorview
    celtic league rugby on rte2 and tg4
    GAA live on rte2hd, tv3 and tg4 through out the year
    6 nations rugby & ireland's other home rugby games on rte2hd
    uefa 2012 football on rte2hd

Advertisement