Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ability to pay

• 20-04-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I was watching the frontline debate about the household levy and the new water charges and it struck me how typically "Irish" the debate turned when someone mentioned the fact that some of the people who now are saying that they don't have the "ability to pay" the charges will somehow have the ability to spend EUR 1,000s on booze/flights/hotels/tickets during the European finals this summer.

The debate turned "Irish" as in it was completely ignored by everyone in the audience and people continued to spew the "people who can't pay shouldn't pay", "the most vulnerable in our society", "tax the rich" claptrap that I am so sick of hearing.

How about this (to really assess those who have the "inability to pay"):

1 - Phil Hogan organises a team from Revenue, complete with IT support, and Gardai to set up stall in the arrivals lounge of Dublin airport to greet returning fans from the Irish play-offs of the European finals.

2 - Pick people at random and ascertain whether they are Irish, own property and have/have not paid their household charge

3 - If it turns out that they haven't coughed up the EUR 100 for the household charge but managed to fork our a multiple of that to get pissed up in Poland for the week offer him/her one of two options.
    • Pay the EUR 100 now
    • Go to jail now

I'm positive that the "inability to pay" brigade will somehow come up with the reddies when faced with this situation.

Discuss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

A little while ago in the "left-wing, right-wing" discussion, I rather unkindly commented that the Irish voter doesn't make decisions on a left/right basis, but on a "costs me/costs someone else" basis. Elsewhere, and equally cynically, I've said that anyone who believes the Irish "don't do civil disobedience" is missing the fact that the characteristic of Irish civil disobedience is that it is not overt or loudly demonstrative but instead consists of passive resistance to unwelcome measures, and is normally found only when a government measure costs money.

I think this is another good example of that feature - there's a form of Irish "social solidarity" where nobody challenges anyone else's playing of the poor mouth card, and expects similar license themselves. Only about half the population appears to be willing to pay taxes on the basis of the sort of social solidarity found in, say, Nordic countries - the other half won't reach for their wallets unless they're obviously going to be forced to do so.

I'd be interested to see if there have been any studies done on the subject.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I've said that anyone who believes the Irish "don't do civil disobedience" is missing the fact that the characteristic of Irish civil disobedience is that it is not overt or loudly demonstrative but instead consists of passive resistance to unwelcome measures, and is normally found only when a government measure costs money.
    I presume you have the household charge mainly in mind here?

That was a €160 million revenue raising measure which has run into similar levels of revolt in other jurisdictions because of its nature. I would be very wary of characterising "passive resistance" as being the norm in Ireland, or anything but out of the ordinary in fact.

Of the major consolidation measures that have been reined-back, I struggle to think of any that did not arise from strikes or peaceful protests (including via the media). I'm thinking particularly of things like the medical card restrictions on the elderly and the cut to disability payments that was rescinded in December of last year.

I would say passive resistance is the exception - not just in that austerity measures are rarely resisted, but that when they are resisted, it is generally done by protest.

I'm a bit confused by the reference to the Nordic countries - is there some insinuation there that someone who cares about the most vulnerable in society ought to be encouraging the Scandinavian social model?

later12 wrote: »
    I presume you have the household charge mainly in mind here?

That was a €160 million revenue raising measure which has run into similar levels of revolt in other jurisdictions because of its nature. I would be very wary of characterising "passive resistance" as being the norm in Ireland, or anything but out of the ordinary in fact.

Of the major consolidation measures that have been reined-back, I struggle to think of any that did not arise from strikes or peaceful protests (including via the media). I'm thinking particularly of things like the medical card restrictions on the elderly and the cut to disability payments that was rescinded in December of last year.

I would say passive resistance is the exception - not just in that austerity measures are rarely resisted, but that when they are resisted, it is generally done by protest.

I'm a bit confused by the reference to the Nordic countries - is there some insinuation there that someone who cares about the most vulnerable in society ought to be encouraging the Scandinavian social model?

I'm thinking of the Household Charge, the non-means-tested Medical Card, student fees, household rates (back in the day), septic tank charges, turf cutting, and so on - the examples are pretty numerous, and all share the same feature, which is that a hit to the pocket gets you a revolt. To some extent one can even attribute some of the Greens' electoral unpopularity to the 5c "carbon charge" on fuel. Even our attitude to Europe seems largely determined by whether it's perceived as giving us money or costing us money.

I'd consider passive resistance characteristic because the public demonstrations, in most cases, were quite small - and often consisted of the same people - while the effect on the government usually resulted from a far wider pattern of passive non-payment or non-compliance.

I've discussed "salience" elsewhere specifically in respect of the household charge, and agree it's important, but nothing I've said requires that it not be.

There's an easy upcoming test, of course, which is water charges. I'd expect to see there the exact same results as the household charge - there will be a number of "public meetings" with much the same faces at each one (SF/ULA making political capital and grabbing airtime, essentially), and a wider pattern of passive non-compliance which will be decisive.

As to the "most vulnerable in society" and the Nordic model - that's the point, really. We're not talking about the "most vulnerable in society", most of whom are exempt from the household charge in any case - we're talking about people's readiness to proclaim themselves as "most vulnerable" when by any objective measure they're not, and what is actually objected to is that they are losing some of their discretionary spending capacity.

There is room for a lot of shading on details, some of which you've picked up on, but I would say that my central point here is that Irish politics is primarily about the money in one's own pocket at all levels, from the voting public to the elected representatives (with the latter a reflection of the former), and that public debate revolves around money to the exclusion of principle. As an ancillary point, I would say the Irish public demonstrates certain forms of rather negative social solidarity about money, such as not contradicting someone else who is playing the "poor mouth" card in order not to be contradicted when playing it oneself. The "most vulnerable in society" thing I regard as merely another card in this kind of play - a form of hypocritical claim that frames one's argument for personal benefit as a moral argument, and one's opponent, therefore, as callous and vicious.

I don't like that kind of argument from either side - on another thread, we had a poster framing opposition to mortgage write-downs in an equally tendentious way, with non-payers characterised as well-off D4 types while those who wouldn't get a write-down characterised as quintessentially good Irish people. Either way round, it's grossly dishonest, and regrettably characteristic of public discourse in Ireland. One might say that the love of money is the root of all Irish politics, but that it's the love that dare not speak its name, and therefore hides behind a cloak of decency - which renders much Irish public discourse fabulously hypocritical.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I'm thinking of the Household Charge, the non-means-tested Medical Card, student fees, household rates (back in the day), septic tank charges, turf cutting, and so on - the examples are pretty numerous, and all share the same feature, which is that a hit to the pocket gets you a revolt. To some extent one can even attribute some of the Greens' electoral unpopularity to the 5c "carbon charge" on fuel.

I'd consider passive resistance characteristic because the public demonstrations, in most cases, were quite small - and often consisted of the same people - while the effect on the government usually resulted from a far wider pattern of passive non-payment or non-compliance.
    I'm still not seeing the link between non-compliance and nonmeans tested medical cards, student fees, septic tank charges or turfcutting protests.

Although it depends. Obviously if you're calling every nonviolent protest a demonstration of passive resistance then yes, they were so. It's the same almost everywhere.

However, if you're calling nonviolent resistance (i.e. civil disobedience) a demonstration of passive resistance, then the household charge qualifies, but I still can't think of any other, and certainly the examples you provided would not.

These are all very much the exception to the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭GSF

I think there is an ingrained belief that everyone else is screwing the system so why shouldnt I? At the same time because everyone else is screwing the system, I should not contribute towards its upkeep.

• Advertisement

I'm still not seeing the link between non-compliance and nonmeans tested medical cards, student fees, septic tank charges or turfcutting protests.

Although it depends. Obviously if you're calling every nonviolent protest a demonstration of passive resistance then yes, they were so. It's the same almost everywhere.

However, if you're calling nonviolent resistance (i.e. civil disobedience) a demonstration of passive resistance, then the household charge qualifies, but I still can't think of any other, and certainly the examples you provided would not.

These are all very much the exception to the rule.

Eh, to be honest I'm not really very concerned about that particular point. It exists mostly in relation to those who wonder why we don't do Greek or French style protest, not by comparison to a complete lack of resistance.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Okay, I'm only responding to it because you brought it up in saying "anyone who believes the Irish "don't do civil disobedience" is missing the fact that the characteristic of Irish civil disobedience is that it is not overt or loudly demonstrative but instead consists of passive resistance"

As far as I'm concerned that's completely mistaken - unless one is talking about a handful of peaceful street protests. Despite a bit of moaning and the airing of some more justified grievances online or via other media, austerity in Ireland has largely been swallowed - rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Markdub2000

Removed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I've already paid for water, local services out of my income tax and road tax

Leaving aside the many obvious problems with this little rant for a moment... We are not as a nation harshly taxed. And the people who could claim to be reasonably heavily taxed are those with wealth. So either you're wealthy or you're not paying an exorbitant amount of tax.

I'm thinking of the Household Charge, the non-means-tested Medical Card, student fees, household rates (back in the day), septic tank charges, turf cutting, and so on - the examples are pretty numerous, and all share the same feature, which is that a hit to the pocket gets you a revolt. To some extent one can even attribute some of the Greens' electoral unpopularity to the 5c "carbon charge" on fuel. Even our attitude to Europe seems largely determined by whether it's perceived as giving us money or costing us money.

I've discussed "salience" elsewhere specifically in respect of the household charge, and agree it's important, but nothing I've said requires that it not be.

There's an easy upcoming test, of course, which is water charges. I'd expect to see there the exact same results as the household charge - there will be a number of "public meetings" with much the same faces at each one (SF/ULA making political capital and grabbing airtime, essentially), and a wider pattern of passive non-compliance which will be decisive.

As to the "most vulnerable in society" and the Nordic model - that's the point, really. We're not talking about the "most vulnerable in society", most of whom are exempt from the household charge in any case - we're talking about people's readiness to proclaim themselves as "most vulnerable" when by any objective measure they're not, and what is actually objected to is that they are losing some of their discretionary spending capacity.

There is room for a lot of shading on details, some of which you've picked up on, but I would say that my central point here is that Irish politics is primarily about the money in one's own pocket at all levels, from the voting public to the elected representatives (with the latter a reflection of the former), and that public debate revolves around money to the exclusion of principle. As an ancillary point, I would say the Irish public demonstrates certain forms of rather negative social solidarity about money, such as not contradicting someone else who is playing the "poor mouth" card in order not to be contradicted when playing it oneself. The "most vulnerable in society" thing I regard as merely another card in this kind of play - a form of hypocritical claim that frames one's argument for personal benefit as a moral argument, and one's opponent, therefore, as callous and vicious.

I don't like that kind of argument from either side - on another thread, we had a poster framing opposition to mortgage write-downs in an equally tendentious way, with non-payers characterised as well-off D4 types while those who wouldn't get a write-down characterised as quintessentially good Irish people. Either way round, it's grossly dishonest, and regrettably characteristic of public discourse in Ireland. One might say that the love of money is the root of all Irish politics, but that it's the love that dare not speak its name, and therefore hides behind a cloak of decency - which renders much Irish public discourse fabulously hypocritical.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

You know what Scofflaw I love it when you get into the Scofflaw version of a rant. It tends to bring out some real post gems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

Okay, I'm only responding to it because you brought it up in saying "anyone who believes the Irish "don't do civil disobedience" is missing the fact that the characteristic of Irish civil disobedience is that it is not overt or loudly demonstrative but instead consists of passive resistance"

As far as I'm concerned that's completely mistaken - unless one is talking about a handful of peaceful street protests. Despite a bit of moaning and the airing of some more justified grievances online or via other media, austerity in Ireland has largely been swallowed - rightly so.

That's because in Ireland the politicians are intimidated by the electorate, egged on by many journalists (so called), and concede or backtrack at the first hint of trouble building.

Remember the fishing licences twenty years ago.

Austerity hasn't really kicked in yet. The social welfare bill has only been tickled.

Wait till the public service is confronted.

Good loser wrote: »
    Remember the fishing licences twenty years ago.
    No; to be quite honest.
    Austerity hasn't really kicked in yet.
    That's debatable.

in the absence of reliable information on future growth, I can't claim that real austerity has been seen relative to what shall be observed under future macroeconomic policy.

The only available information would suggest that real austerity is being seen.

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/publications/other/2011/natrecplanlatest.pdf
    1zv6dly.png

If you have any additional data, please post it.

However, loathe as I am to engage in any sort of nationalistic pride, I would completely reject what I would call the self-flagellating dismissal of the perfectly sensible direction that the Irish austerity strategem has taken to date. I think it is entirely misleading & unhelpful to do so, and discredits the progress that has been made in correcting Ireland's deficit which has been largely co-operative and progressive - a fine thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

meglome wrote: »
    Leaving aside the many obvious problems with this little rant for a moment... We are not as a nation harshly taxed. And the people who could claim to be reasonably heavily taxed are those with wealth. So either you're wealthy or you're not paying an exorbitant amount of tax.

I welcome you to examine my spouse & I P60 & dare you to quote that statement to us, totally pissed off of paying through the nose for everything for no return only the promise of more tax & charges .I am public sector the better half according to this forum is private sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

With regards to the household charge, most people that I know who haven't paid it are refusing to pay it as there is a complete of services in their area...

The main problem people are having with the water charge, is the potential of having to pay for the installation(which I think is a joke in the first place).

But why should there be a separate water charge on top of the household charge...

All the household charge is good for at the moment is water, every other service is paid for separately as is:confused:

Constab2 wrote: »
    I welcome you to examine my spouse & I P60 & dare you to quote that statement to us, totally pissed off of paying through the nose for everything for no return only the promise of more tax & charges .I am public sector the better half according to this forum is private sector.

I'm making a general point that we are not highly taxed in this country. We seem to want a Scandinavian model but don't seem to realise how much tax they pay to support it. At the end of the day a lot of people are suffering financially but that doesn't change the fact we're not over taxed as a nation.

Who pays tax in Ireland? The little quiz revisited
    Paying tax in Ireland: Where the richest (and poorest) pay

and an older one
    Are Irish workers undertaxed?

I'm making a general point that we are not highly taxed in this country. We seem to want a Scandinavian model but don't seem to realise how much tax they pay to support it. At the end of the day a lot of people are suffering financially but that doesn't change the fact we're not over taxed as a nation.

and an older one

This will inevitably generate either anecdotal "but I pay a lot of tax!" responses, or a comparison of central taxes to show that we're actually highly taxed.

And from a central taxes perspective - income tax and other headline taxes - we are actually taxed more than the EU average. However, we pay very little in local taxes compared to other countries - a result of stripping local government of its tax-raising powers as part of the ongoing centralisation of the State's powers - and the net result is that we are lightly taxed compared to other countries:

Taxation Type|Ireland (%GDP)|Eurozone Avg(%GDP)
    Central|30.8|21.5
    Social Insurance|4.8|12.4
    Local|0.9|10.9
    Total|36.5|44.8

So, when people do a central taxes comparison, they can show that Ireland is "really" a high-tax economy, but it isn't. It's just unbalanced.

In a sense, you can look at this as the State's contract with the citizen - you don't really have a local services "contract" as such - there's no real financial relationship between you and your local government. They don't tax you, the central government does - and, in turn, it's the central government that allocates services.

One might almost welcome the household charge as a return of some tax-raising power to the local government level, but, of course, this being Ireland, it's no such thing - instead it's a centrally mandated charge, with local government having no discretion over it and therefore not able to engage in tax competition. Not, to be fair, that there's much room for real tax competition in rates, given the very much higher costs of rural service delivery because of the dispersed pattern of rural dwelling - something which one can also see as being partly an outcome of Ireland's centralised tax model, because rural service expenditure is decoupled from rural revenue generation.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭battle_hardend

and an older one

various politicans and media commentators on the left long to see the scandanavian model applied here , they get stuck however when it comes to hugely increasing the level of tax paid by lower income earners , as is the case in scandanavia , in effect , various elements of the left dont want the scandanavian model brought in at all

various politicans and media commentators on the left long to see the scandanavian model applied here , they get stuck however when it comes to hugely increasing the level of tax paid by lower income earners , as is the case in scandanavia , in effect , various elements of the left dont want the scandanavian model brought in at all

I often don't understand the left in this country, perhaps it'd be the same in other countries to, I dunno. And when I say I don't understand I mean outside of out and out populism. They say they want to protect the poor and vulnerable but the things they often support would hurt the poor and vulnerable. They want a 'fairer' tax system (read tax the rich) but we have a progressive tax system and the rich (for the most part) pay the majority of our taxes already. Somewhere along the line we've gotten to the stage were they believe people are owed a house, a good living, good healthcare, luxuries but without having to work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

They say they want to protect the poor and vulnerable but the things they often support would hurt the poor and vulnerable.

The left in Ireland is in a bit of a bind really because:

1. Many Irish people are very, very greedy about their money (whether they are rich or poor).
    2. Most Irish people do not trust the state/govt at any level whatsoever (other than perhaps their local "fixer"/td).

Extra taxes for everyone (which left realises are the necessary evil to expand services that benefit those with lowest incomes the most) hit the Irish psyche in both of these soft areas - I'm losing money and its going up to "that shower in Dublin".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Scofflaw
    Only about half the population appears to be willing to pay taxes on the basis of the sort of social solidarity found in, say, Nordic countries - the other half won't reach for their wallets unless they're obviously going to be forced to do so.

I'd be interested to see if there have been any studies done on the subject.

This is an interesting point (and a bit of a myth as far as I can figure out).

One point I never hear raised in these debates, is that Nordic, French & German people who reside and pay tax, here, in Ireland, constantly complain of being being unfairly taxed, far more vocally than Irish or British people ime.

Let me reiterate that, just for clarification - They pay substantially more tax in Sweden, France & Germany, yet they feel they are unfairly taxed in Ireland -> Why is that?

How is it that people who are conditioned to paying high taxes are so exasperated with Ireland? (and why is this always ignored in these debates?)

p.s.
    Perception is probably the most important factor being overlooked here in the assessment of Irish people imo.
    Ideological politics never make it past the manifesto - it's practical politics which count.
    Many working class don't earn enough to pay any tax, yet they utterly resent the USC.

On paper, they income tax hasn't changed, yet someone working 39 hours a week to earn €337 is going to be paying about €30 of that on the USC.

Say what you like to them about income tax, prsi, USC and so on - to them it's all just tax.

• Advertisement

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    This is an interesting point (and a bit of a myth as far as I can figure out).

It's very much offered as a personal opinion rather than fact!
    One point I never hear raised in these debates, is that Nordic, French & German people who reside and pay tax, here, in Ireland, constantly complain of being being unfairly taxed, far more vocally than Irish or British people ime.

Let me reiterate that, just for clarification - They pay substantially more tax in Sweden, France & Germany, yet they feel they are unfairly taxed in Ireland -> Why is that?

How is it that people who are conditioned to paying high taxes are so exasperated with Ireland? (and why is this always ignored in these debates?)

On the other hand, that also looks purely anecdotal. Any evidence?
    p.s.
    Perception is probably the most important factor being overlooked here in the assessment of Irish people imo.
    Ideological politics never make it past the manifesto - it's practical politics which count.
    Many working class don't earn enough to pay any tax, yet they utterly resent the USC.

On paper, they income tax hasn't changed, yet someone working 39 hours a week to earn €337 is going to be paying about €30 of that on the USC.

An outrageous tax proportion of 8.9%.
    Say what you like to them about income tax, prsi, USC and so on - to them it's all just tax.

I think you might be backing up the point I was making and which I think you were disputing...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

It's very much offered as a personal opinion rather than fact!

Yes I understand that, but it seems to me that one of the variables is not being accounted for, to me it reads like

Variable + x = outcome

Tax + ? = good outcome in Sweden
    Tax + ? = bad outcome in Ireland

I won't say mentality, because I believe mentality is a result of the outcome(s).

On the other hand, that also looks purely anecdotal. Any evidence?

None unfortunately.
    It's a topic which interests me - there is definitely a different mentality in Ireland compared to the countries we might aspire to be like.
    It's something I've discussed with extend family, colleagues and friends.

I generally find that Eastern Europeans are really grateful to be in Ireland and praise it in comparison to their native countries, that life in Ireland is considerably easier, altho virtually all of them also say the gap is rapidly closing, partly because their native countries are improving but more heavily due to Ireland degrading.
    I was in Vilnius just a few weeks ago and I would have to agree.

But I actually find Nordic people to be more heavily critical of Ireland than any other group - I suppose it makes sense really when you consider what they are comparing it to tho.

An outrageous tax proportion of 8.9%.

I think you might be backing up the point I was making and which I think you were disputing...

Not quite disputing it, I just it's too easy to dismiss the actual problems which exist, without examining the causes.

What causes people to resent handing over that 9%?
    Why do they feel they are being robbed?
    Why do Swedes happily hand over so much money?

I will be the first to say that Irish people generally don't give a damn until you hit them in the pocket.
    I remember when Cork was flooded in November 2009 and this forum was hopping was the various goings in, in the country - the 'average' Irish person was more interested in Thierry Henry's bloody handball.
    I knew that there would be revolt when the government tried to introduce property and water taxes, as soon as people began to feel it in their pocket.

Personally, I would love to pay in 60% and have a system like Sweden, where the state provides.
    Irish people know from experience that will not happen; they could pay in 75%, but we will still get the same half arsed outcomes we always get and will still end up paying services charges with your remaining 25%
    1. Many Irish people are very, very greedy about their money (whether they are rich or poor).
    2. Most Irish people do not trust the state/govt at any level whatsoever (other than perhaps their local "fixer"/td).

Agree with both points, however, I believe that point #1 is a result of point number 2, present day more than ever before in the history of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The USC is just a tax, as far as I can see. PRSI is far too low in this country, think it's 11% in N.I. after about £110/120 a week pay. That would probably be the difference people see.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I can give some explanation of the reason a Scandinavian might resent handing over tax in Ireland, based on this paper: http://www.york.ac.uk/res/herc/documents/wp/08_28.pdf

The paper is a little technical, and relates to the most easily measurable service, which is health, but the basic conclusions are that Ireland has relatively poor public services. That bit is, I suppose, not news.

Unfortunately - and this is where the paper is interesting - it's very difficult to measure public service performance across different countries, because there are very different expectations in each country. The paper uses a series of "vignettes" - little scenarios - to determine the way respondents in each country view a specified service outcome. For example:
    1. [Simon] was speaking to his doctor about an embarrassing problem. There was a friend and a neighbour of his in the crowded waiting room and because of the noise the doctor had to shout when telling [Simon] the treatment he needed.
    Q1: How would you rate the way the health services ensured [Simon] could talk privately to health care providers?
    Q2: How would you rate the way [Simon’s] personal information was kept confidential?

So the paper asks two sets of questions - how do the respondents see patient confidentiality and privacy in Ireland, and how do you rate it in the scenario above. That allows them to establish a baseline for the "own country" responses.

The results are interesting, because they tell you not only how people rate the health services in their country, but also how they would report them if they all had the same expectations. Some of the results are:

Prompt attention:

Raw Result|Benchmarked
    DNK (56)|GRC (32)
    AUT (55)|AUT (23)
    UK (48)|NLD (23)
    CZE (46)|ITA (21)
    GRC (44)|CZE (20)
    SWE (43)|BEL (19)
    BEL (43)|UK (18)
    NLD (41)|ESP (18)
    IRL (38)|MEX (17)
    FRA (34)|DNK (16)
    FIN (31)|SVK (16)
    SVK (31)|DEU (16)
    HUN (31)|PRT (16)
    DEU (31)|SWE (14)
    ITA (22)|FRA (13)
    ESP (21)|FIN (13)
    MEX (14)|HUN (12)
    PRT (13)|IRL (11)

That tells you that Ireland has the poorest service in terms of "prompt attention", but that the Irish don't perceive it that way. We perceive it as ranking 9th, whereas it would more objectively rank 18th. The exact scores there are difficult to explain, being derived from a reasonably complex set of statistical and mathematical steps, but the principle is simple enough.

Turns out we're OK at perceiving dignity (11th in both measures), but not too good on confidentiality (we think 6th, more like 15th).

Overall:

Rank|Subjective|Objective
    1|AUT(56)|BEL(30)
    2|DNK(51)|AUT(27)
    3|GRC(46)|DNK(27)
    4|BEL(46)|SWE(27)
    5|UK(45)|FIN(26)
    6|CZE(45)|FRA(26)
    7|SWE(43)|UK(24)
    8|IRL(42)|GRC(22)
    9|HUN(40)|NLD(21)
    10|FRA(40)|DEU(20)
    11|FIN(35)|CZE(20)
    12|DEU(33)|ESP(18)
    13|NLD(27)|MEX(17)
    14|SVK(23)|PRT(17)
    15|ITA(23)|HUN(16)
    16|ESP(22)|IRL(16)
    17|PRT(16)|ITA(14)
    18|MEX(15)|SVK(9)

Overall, then, we view our health service as ranking 8th, whereas a more objective measure would put it down at 16th. So anyone from the countries above Ireland in the right column - including, embarrassingly, Mexico - would perceive Ireland's health service as overall worse than their home service. If a similar pattern held true across other public services (and it won't across the board - Revenue, for example, are very good), then immigrants to Ireland will often resent paying tax here because they will perceive the services they receive in return as poor - the higher up the table one goes, the more that should be the case.

It seems to be very hard to get good cross-country comparisons of public services, and it seems likely that part of the problem is the different expectations held by public service users in each country. The paper in question would seem to offer a reasonable way of producing such comparisons (although I'm sure if I were an academic in the same field I could subject it to withering criticism, because that always seems to be possible).

I'd certainly like to see such a set of comparisons. Ireland tends, instead, to focus on "productivity" measures and other pseudo-business "time and motion" sorts of figures. I don't think those are actually particularly relevant, since the goal of public services is not to be efficient in the same sense as a factory (most output per euro), but in the same way as a service company - that is, most customer satisfaction per euro spent.

Despite the fact that we in theory elect our government based on the expected/promised outcomes of their policies in terms of our quality of life, we actually have absolutely no real ongoing measurement of policy or government contribution to our quality of life. That's frankly verging on the insane, but since it's only one on a long list of pretty insane things, my expectations are, of course, rather low - something which suggests a vignette such as those used by the researchers:
    1. [Patrick] was voting in a general election to install the next government of Ireland. [Patrick] bases his vote on the extent to which the different parties' policies would improve or reduce his quality of life, but Patrick has no way of comparing the past or present performance of his government or any other government on that score.

Q1: How would you rate the way [Patrick’s] vote is likely to produce a good outcome for [Patrick]?
    Q2: How would you rate the general silliness of such a situation?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

The only available information would suggest that real austerity is being seen.

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/publications/other/2011/natrecplanlatest.pdf
    1zv6dly.png

If you have any additional data, please post it.

Well it appears contradicted by the department of finance.
    http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/exchequerstatements/2010/analysisenddecspend.pdf
    http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/exchequerstatements/2012/analspendmar.pdf

2010 current expenditure 40.5 bn, capital expenditure 5.9bn
    2011 current expenditure 41.6 bn, capital expenditure 4.2bn
    2012 current expenditure 40.5bn, capital expenditure 3.7bn

Note 2012 are projections, but i fail to see the austerity in day to day expenditure when we're spending the same amount of cash as we were spending 2-3 years ago. Obviously the politically easy option of reducing capital expenditure is being exploited in full.
    Now if spending is not going down, all we are doing or getting close to doing is getting the current account under control. This is not austerity by any means. Either the media or the department of finance are using the wrong information.

From the above it appears quite clearly the policy of the government is 'tax' their way out of this problem. No significant public sector current account spending austerity in evidence at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Personally, I would love to pay in 60% and have a system like Sweden, where the state provides.
    Irish people know from experience that will not happen; they could pay in 75%, but we will still get the same half arsed outcomes we always get and will still end up paying services charges with your remaining 25%

You're correct.

Could you blame the people when current taxes are just lining some big honcho's pocket, paying for layers of bureaucracy or filling potholes in roads that go into the ar*e end of nowhere.

Fact is ordinary Joe Soap isn't stupid, sees all this, and makes a decision to keep the few quid for him/her self to better their own life, if the government can't do any good with it then what's the point in giving it to them.

The government in their present role may as well be flushing cash down a jax. Me and many others work too hard to be putting up with that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Wouldn't it be interesting if Ireland tried the US model of funding for local services and schools coming from local property owners and businesses?

How quickly things would change.

What do you mean you are not paying the water charge, Mr. Unemployed and off to Euro 2012?

In my opinion it would finally force people to take some responsibility and see that through their own decisions.

Excellent answer Scofflaw, and very accurate based on what I've heard by talking to people.

This, imo, helps to explain your earlier comment:
    Only about half the population appears to be willing to pay taxes on the basis of the sort of social solidarity found in, say, Nordic countries - the other half won't reach for their wallets unless they're obviously going to be forced to do so.

Someone coming from a system with good outcomes (Sweden, Germany) comes to Ireland which tends to have poor outcomes and they're frustrated because they feel their money is wasted.

The same applies to Irish people who live in Ireland (and all countries with poor public services as far as I understand it). The difference is, rather than comparing (A:Sweden) to (B:Ireland), they are comparing:
    (A:My situation now at x% taxation) vs (B.My situation tomorrow at x+y% taxation)

or in layman's terms:
    "I already pay a fcuking small fortune for road tax, fuel levies and so on - but just look at the state of the roads! There is only 1 decent road in the county and that's a tolled motorway out of the county!!
    I pay more tax now than I did 5 years ago, and it's worse the roads are getting! And now they want to steal even more money off me to pay for the public service increments and those gangster in the Dail? I won't pay it unless it's ringfenced, I'll go to jail first! "
    On the hand, when people see a tangible benefit from their taxes, the majority of people are actually prepared to reach for their wallet.

During the Celtic Tiger, roads generally improved while tax evasion significantly reduced. Granted, this is in part because taxes became cheaper so that the risk of not paying them no longer outweighed the potential gain, but also because the exchequer was overflowing with so money, that some of it inevitably was spent on public infrastructure - meaning people experienced tangible benefits.

This is simply human nature and basic common sense really.
    If public services in Sweden degraded to the levels seen in Ireland, the 'social solidarity' would rapidly disappear -> I believe that because I've heard it said by Swedes on numerous occasions!!:pac:

This is why I believe mentality is a product of the outcome(s), rather than a precursor.

Take then the scepticism applied to property and water taxes.
    Ostensibly this is to fund local services, but very few Irish people genuinely believe that. Leave aside the fact that we're bombarded by gruesome stories of corruption and the 'pork belly' on a daily basis by the media.
    The layman just sees this as theft.

You're clearly an educated person, and while pragmatic, you also seem (to me anyway) to be somewhat ideological, not just in environmental issues. You would have to be to voluntarily commit so much time of your free time to this forum.
    Most people aren't like that tho. LOL!

A lot of people are really pretty simple and fairly ignorant - and prefer to stay that way.

If you try to roll this thing out based on ideology, you will fail, people will revolt.
    The government should figure a way to soften people up.
    If 'he fixed the road' (tangible) can get a TD elected on a local level, then perhaps "But they're fixing the roads" (tangible) could work on a national level?

Advertisement