Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Support for people in making the switch to digital

• 13-08-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

The Dept of Communications has today issued a request for tenders for research into the current geographic and demographic television reception mechanisms in Ireland, with particular emphasis on analogue terrestrial.

They intend this research to inform their switchover policy, in particular concerning the provision of "supportive policy interventions/options".

I wonder what kind of interventions people here would expect to see? I'm thinking along the lines of information, setup assistance and even financial help in the form of subsidies for those people who find it difficult to make the switch or difficult to afford it due to issues like disability, poverty or special circumstances that require equipment or expenditure above the norm.

I'm particularly interested in this area from the perspective of social inclusion. Continued access to television at an affordable price is essential for full social inclusion and the enforced requirement for people to acquire, install and learn to use new digital equipment and services presents a significant barrier to many people who are older, disabled and/or on low incomes.

I lead a coalition of organisations from across the disability, aging and poverty sectors in Ireland - TV Access. We have been campaigning on this issue for some time. One of the things we're asking for is a well-funded, far reaching and inclusive programme of information and assistance for those who find it difficult to make the switch for financial or practical (e.g. due to disability) reasons.

Having met with various people within the Department (including the Minister and his predecessor), the Oireachtas Committee members, the BCI, RTÉ, Boxer, OneVision, etc. we aren't really any the wiser about what to expect along these lines. We know not to expect anything like the UK's Digital Switchover Help Scheme, but something in that direction is clearly necessary.

There seem to be quite a few people on this board with a degree of experience and insight about public broadcasting and the policy environment so I would be very interested in hearing opinions about what level of switchover support for vulnerable consumers is possible or likely, given the current restrictive economic climate.

Any thoughts on this important issue?

Mark

Advertisement