Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going to bank before broker - hurting future chances?

Options
  • 15-11-2018 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I will be applying for a mortgage over the coming months and have already spoken with two banks that came into my workplace, fairly high-level stuff at the moment.

I was planning to visit a third bank this weekend - again just trying to suss it all out, ask questions and get a flavour for what they are like. When I will be more serious about buying (approx 3 months), I will be hitting up a few brokers as well.

Question is, should I be holding off on visiting banks directly for now? Will it hurt my chances for a broker applying on my behalf in the future?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

No, why would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Why the need of a broker?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

Why the need of a broker?

Two points

If your going with your own bank , they ask for less as they can see your history, your own bank may not ask for p60/etc

Point two , getting the mortgage has a heap of trip wires a broker gives you the heads up on them ,

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

I got my first mortgage directly from a bank and my second mortgage from a broker. I had good experiences with both, but the broker was able to get me an exception whereas the banks wouldn't consider it.

So based on that alone, if you are looking to borrow the max possible, I would recommend holding off until the time is ready to go with a broker.

Obviously everyone's situation is different, but my broker pretty much guaranteed me an exception from day 1 so that's why I chose to go with them. I really think it depends on your advisor in terms of the service that you get overall.

My friend had a terrible experience with 1 bank in particular, not sure if I can name them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

utmbuilder wrote: »
    Two points

Point two , getting the mortgage has a heap of trip wires a broker gives you the heads up on them ,

This! A broker knows how to iron out any likely bumps in the road to get you the house you want. A bank doesn't care, they'll just say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It won't hurt your chances at all.

Just on the own bank versus others - I actually had a terrible experience applying with my own bank for a mortgage. Their calculations as to what I'd saved on average each month was well off and wouldn't accept any explanation (there was €10k moved from savings to pay the booking deposit on house & they calculated on the savings amount *after* this had left the account). The other bank I applied with understood this and could see the transaction and receipt for the refundable deposit. Yes it was annoying providing all the documentation but much more straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I went with a broker (Park Financial in Dublin) and the whole process was great.

What are the benefits of going direct to the bank? I can't think of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

For those asking why use a broker - it obviously depends on personal circumstances but it worked for us. We needed an exemption on the 10% / 20% deposit rule in place at the time, so made an appointment to see a mortgage manager at our bank, PTSB. The mortgage manager told us there is no such thing as an exemption; with them or any other bank. I offered to show him a link to articles written about them, but he was adamant they didnt exist, and couldnt be given.

Fast forward 3 months, we drew down on a mortgage with an exemption from PTSB, with them paying the broker for the priviledge of giving them business they'd already turned away.

The broker also did a thorough review of our statements, and pre-empted any questions on certain transactions from the bank with written answers. Maybe they would never have asked, but I think it helped.

eoghan104 wrote: »

What are the benefits of going direct to the bank? I can't think of any.

They can see your account history so less paperwork required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Askthe EA wrote: »

Only if they're your own bank. I went with a bank that I've had no prior dealings with and had to provide everything.
    For those asking why use a broker - it obviously depends on personal circumstances but it worked for us. We needed an exemption on the 10% / 20% deposit rule in place at the time, so made an appointment to see a mortgage manager at our bank, PTSB. The mortgage manager told us there is no such thing as an exemption; with them or any other bank. I offered to show him a link to articles written about them, but he was adamant they didnt exist, and couldnt be given.

That's really odd - we got an exemption similar to yours going direct to Bank of Ireland. There was no problem at all once we'd provided all the information to them in terms of getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

That's really odd - we got an exemption similar to yours going direct to Bank of Ireland. There was no problem at all once we'd provided all the information to them in terms of getting it.

It sure is! We had initial conversations with BOI and they indicated they would consider it, but PTSB dug their heels in for some reason (ar at least that person did), only to pay someone to give them back the same business weeks later.

If it is your own bank. Why only go to one bank?

The whole process is quicker with a broker as they already have the relationships with the underwriters.

There is no real disadvantage tbh.

If it is your own bank. Why only go to one bank?

The whole process is quicker with a broker as they already have the relationships with the underwriters.

There is no real disadvantage tbh.

Maybe they have worked out that they prefer the mortgage offer/ interest rate with their own bank?

Does a broker not cost money?

This! A broker knows how to iron out any likely bumps in the road to get you the house you want. A bank doesn't care, they'll just say no.

That’s fair enough especially for some of those out there struggling to get the mortgage they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Maybe they have worked out that they prefer the mortgage offer/ interest rate with their own bank?

Yes but not to the person taking out the mortgage.

The Broker will get the same offer and probably quicker, he will also get all the other offers.

Doesn't cost a penny to you.

The Broker will get the same offer and probably quicker, he will also get all the other offers.

Doesn't cost a penny to you.

A lot do charge an upfront fee which you get back if you draw down a mortgage through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I went through a broker recently... he came back with an offer from KBC. I was after a mortgage from Ulster Bank, he told me that they were delaying & KBC's rates were far superior (they were not). I contacted Ulster Bnk Directly & was told that they had recieved no application on my behalf... Broker then sent me a bill in order to proceed with KBC... I went direct to the bank in the end. Broker process was no easier than going direct, each bank has it's ideocyncrasies & the broker can't bypass them. + going direct to banks means you can avoid dealing with cowboys.

I didn't realise there was cowboys out there.

Any broker that asks you for a fee at any stage is worth avoiding. I don't know how one would exist considering that most won't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I went with a broker because I wanted AIP from all lenders in case of rate changes during purchasing and going through the process 5 or 6 times would have been a nightmare.

In the end it worked out, as during the purchase Ulster dropped their 2.6% rate which we availed of. Before that KBC was the lender of choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you fill the criteria the banks require then going direct is best. I.e. good deposit, savings record and 3.5 x income.

If you fill the criteria the banks require then going direct is best. I.e. good deposit, savings record and 3.5 x income.
    Why?! That is just not true, show your work!

Why?! That is just not true, show your work!

I agree. Its when theres bumps in the road that brokers come into their own.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Broker is a waste of time and an unnecessary middle man unless you know you are going to have issues if you go directly to a bank. If your income is low, you have high debts, are on a temporary contract or whatever, that is when a broker is useful.

Otherwise, just go to the bank. A broker will not get you anything you cannot otherwise get yourself, and they are certainly not faster than going direct.

awec wrote: »
    Broker is a waste of time and an unnecessary middle man unless you know you are going to have issues

Disagree. Issues can arise AFTER u get mortgage approval. Thats when brokers can help.

Disagree. Issues can arise AFTER u get mortgage approval. Thats when brokers can help.
    What issues do you think a broker can fix that cannot be fixed yourself?

In fact, what issues are you even referring to?

What issues do you think a broker can fix that cannot be fixed yourself?

In fact, what issues are you even referring to?

For us, he was able to find us a provider of subsidence cover.

For us, he was able to find us a provider of subsidence cover.
    Who is the provider?

Who is the provider?

Id need to dig it out. Allianz i believe.

• Advertisement

Broker is a waste of time and an unnecessary middle man unless you know you are going to have issues if you go directly to a bank. If your income is low, you have high debts, are on a temporary contract or whatever, that is when a broker is useful.

Otherwise, just go to the bank. A broker will not get you anything you cannot otherwise get yourself, and they are certainly not faster than going direct.
    It is faster to go with a broker if you are going to multiple banks (you should be). What about the effort and cost of making 5 copies of all of your docs for different banks instead of just one? The broker can make sure all the info you need is complete and save you that back and forth with the bank?

There is NO negative to going with a broker. You can argue it's the same, you can't argue it's worse.

Advertisement