Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving out

• 16-11-2018 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I have a question, this is something that's kind of bothering me, but it wont end up affecting me. I am just curious about it.

My landlord has asked all tenants, about 12 apartments, to move out, due to structural work/renovation. Everyone was served with notice, with notice periods based on the amount of time they have been at the property.

I am still there, however 4 people have moved out of their properties. Within a few days (and no work done on these properties) of old tenants moving out - new tenants have moved in and the property is being showed to others. This has shocked me a little, but I suppose I'm not surprised. Is this common?

In hindsight I would have offered more money if that is what she wanted! But I assume the rates are vastly different that what I have been paying which is well under what it is for the current market.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Disgusting behaviour, have you contact details for the tenants who have moved out?

They have been illegally evicted, and the rest of the tenants are about to be, you can appeal the notice now if the tenants who moved out did get a substantial renovation notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Report it to the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

dublin999 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a question, this is something that's kind of bothering me, but it wont end up affecting me. I am just curious about it.

My landlord has asked all tenants, about 12 apartments, to move out, due to structural work/renovation. Everyone was served with notice, with notice periods based on the amount of time they have been at the property.

I am still there, however 4 people have moved out of their properties. Within a few days (and no work done on these properties) of old tenants moving out - new tenants have moved in and the property is being showed to others. This has shocked me a little, but I suppose I'm not surprised. Is this common?

In hindsight I would have offered more money if that is what she wanted! But I assume the rates are vastly different that what I have been paying which is well under what it is for the current market.

You could build up some evidence first - get someone to view the other properties and get clarification on rent amount, whether the property will be refurbed etc before any potential move in.

You could then potentially dispute your own termination notice on the grounds they don't intend on refurbish based on what they are doing with the presently vacant units. Who owns the block?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dublin999

I don't want to give too many details as, in actual fact, she has been very good to me over the years, in terms of low rent etc.

I will ask the new tents if I get a chance. I don't have contact details of the previous details, only one approached me and he was devastated at having to move before Christmas. Literally two days later there was a new tenant for his apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

This is mad. Why would the LL risk such obvious illegality and the likely heavy fines that will go with it. Is she actually stupid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Actually, are you sure the new tenants are long term? Could the old tenants have moved out prior to notice expiration and LL is getting short term lets up to the time that all the legacy tenants move out and works can begin?

Advertisement