Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Dunbar

• 08-08-2016 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Doc07

Very impressive for Eddie, Top 20 on GC at Tour of Utah, just behind Vuelta winner Chris Horner and ahead of former Giro winner Cunego.

Just noticed his 18 year-old teammate came 2nd.

Comments

Good result for Dunbar and his team. Will be interesting to see how he develops over the next 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Good result for Dunbar and his team. Will be interesting to see how he develops over the next 2-3 years.

The fact he beat Ryan Mullen in the National TT and Mullen put out his best power numbers ever for a 40k TT was astounding for a whippet like him, great potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Doc07 wrote: »

Just noticed his 18 year-old teammate came 2nd.

Adrien Costa seems to place high in almost every race he does. Expect he will be a huge name in cycling some day

BTW there is already an eddie Dunbar thread. worth merging mod ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Didn't see this anywhere else...

Eddie finished 9th in the World Championship U-23 ITT yesterday.

That's a seriously impressive performance.

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/classy-dunbar-puts-in-ride-of-his-life-in-u23-world-champs/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

U23 Flanders winner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Serious talent but it his cojones that make him such a future potential

He just wants to race and he really wants to win

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Plastik wrote: »
    U23 Flanders winner![/quote

Anywhere on TV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yeah I'd love to watch it back of it was at all possible or available anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

That's a shame for Eddie but the right decision for sure, he has a long career ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

He has signed with SKY ...wonde rif they will develop him or if he will be a Dom to Bernal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭harringtonp

MPFGLB wrote: »
    He has signed with SKY ...wonde rif they will develop him or if he will be a Dom to Bernal

I for one would consider a Dom to Bernal in big WT stage races development.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I think it's a great move for him, delighted to see he got a decent move.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,025 ✭✭✭✭neris

Hope he won't be another Deignan for Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well shur I suppose the man has to earn a living but I'd be an ABS man myself.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• neris wrote: »

Be my concern too but he's young and the the start of his career so hopefully he can achieve all he's capable of at Sky and if not he's in the biggest shop window in the sport down the road.

Hopefully the other lads can get sorted now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

neris wrote: »

Dunbar has a far more impressive palamares than Deignan had at that age. I wouldn't be too worried about him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They are also at opposite ends of the career spectrum. Deignan's wife is expecting their first child quote soon so is probably more than happy to just get on with other things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Looks like he is racing this weekend with Sky.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

https://www.teamsky.com/article/eddie-dunbar-joins-team-sky

Dunbar, who is set to make his Team Sky debut on Saturday at Coppa Agostoni, has agreed a deal to the end of the 2019 season.

The Irishman, 22, was contracted to Aqua Blue Sport for the 2018 season, but – following the closure of the team – Aqua Blue and the UCI have granted Dunbar permission to leave his contract early and sign for Team Sky.

Dunbar has certainly caught the eye in 2018, racing to an impressive eighth at both the Tour de Yorkshire and Tour de l’Avenir, and he will hope to carry that form into the Italian Classics, in the colours of Team Sky.

"I’m really grateful for the opportunity I’m getting after the situation I’ve found myself in,” Dunbar told TeamSky.com.

“Sometimes a team folding is the way the sport goes. I just had to be professional about it and understand the situation. Luckily Sky came along and they offered me a block of Italian races which is good preparation for Innsbruck.

“It’s all fallen into place for me - and I can’t wait to get started now.”

Dunbar added: "This is a great opportunity for me to spend the last few weeks of the season with a team I’ll be riding for next year. It will make the transition a lot easier.

"It’s really helpful to have this opportunity to familiarise myself with everything, especially the riders and the staff, ahead of next season.”
    null
    Team Principal Sir Dave Brailsford welcomed Dunbar’s arrival, commenting: "Eddie is a talented young rider and we’re delighted he’s agreed to join us.

"Obviously the circumstances, with Aqua Blue folding, aren’t ideal for anyone at the team, or the sport in general. You never like to see teams go through something like that.

"But we’re pleased to be able to offer Eddie an immediate route back in with Team Sky.

“We have been watching him for a while and it’s clear that he has great potential. He particularly impressed at the Tour de Yorkshire and Tour de l’Avenir this year and we hope he can build on those performances with us.

"We’re looking forward to integrating him into the Team during the remainder of 2018, allowing him to hit the ground running in 2019, and hope he can form a part of our next generation as we continue to build for the future.”

• Registered Users Posts: 26 saganfan

Great news for him, hopefully he'll get some good experience and will have some nice offers come the end of the 2019 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Zoncolon

Delighted for Dunbar that his talent has been recognized, but would worry about the Sky involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

With the move, Ireland now has six riders at world tour level (Martin, Roche, Deignan, Bennett, Mullen and Dunbar). That's the most world tour riders we have ever had at once!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Do we really consider Philip to be a world tour rider? He never races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Has Bennett raced since the Giro?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

very strange question. Yes, obviously, he rides with a world tour (ProTour) team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭cunavalos

EC1000 wrote: »
    Has Bennett raced since the Giro?

He has started 4 races (including nationals) but has not finished any of them.
    Most recently he was in Canada for the two World Tour races there

• Registered Users Posts: 26 saganfan

With the move, Ireland now has six riders at world tour level (Martin, Roche, Deignan, Bennett, Mullen and Dunbar). That's the most world tour riders we have ever had at once!

It would be great if Dunne got snapped up by a World Tour team as well. I see Larry Warbasse signed for AG2R Mondiale, great bit of news for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He's entered more races than Roche this season and only 1 fewer than Bennett. They've just been down in the categories, more 1 days, or dnfs. Roche has rode considerably more days in fewer races.

Advertisement