Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Mobile Phone Network in Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

srsly78 wrote: »
    They released a new offer last month, tenner a month for unlimited.

Where I live currently ONLY meteor have signal, so there is no choice really. I did try 3 in the past when living in Dublin and it was worse than useless. See the 3 forum for many many people making the same complaints I had years ago.

What I just quoted is from their website... it's a promo offer that expires in a few months... unlike the contract.

As for three complaints... you SHOULD recognise me from there....

They're an awful awful company, and their customer support and coverage is atrocious... BUT... if they cover you, and you want a lot of data for cheap... and don't mind they're ****e customer service... they're unbeatable...

but that's a lot of 'ifs".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I tried 3 - it doesn't work. So myself and many others moved to another network. If they actually fixed their network and provided signal in my current area they might be an option. Nevermind my current area, it wouldn't even work in Dublin city center when I tried...

Re Meteor:

http://www.meteor.ie/unlimited-data/

and the fine print at the bottom of the page says:
    Offer ends 31st May 2014. Fair usage allowance of 7.5GB monthly applies.
    Terms & conditions.

if you click through it says:
    The ” Meteor Prepay Unlimited Add On” will expire in its entirety on August 31st 2014, at which stage the allowance contained within the bundle will revert to 1GB.

http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/meteor-prepay-unlimited-add-on-feb-2014/

Always read the fine print.

I tried 3 - it doesn't work. So myself and many others moved to another network. If they actually fixed their network I and provided signal in my current area they might be an option.

That's why I have repeatedly said:
    if they cover you,

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

When it comes to sim only three's 20 odd quid a month cant be beaten if you want a decent pile of data. the other networks are all running around 30 euro pm with far less data. I live in the sticks and have tons better coverage than my husband who's on Vodafone.

• Advertisement

They don't cover anyone not standing outdoors next to a 3 mast. It did't work for me in Dublin city center.

It's not just about coverage, it's about their ****ty domestic roaming setup requiring custom firmware - thus not supporting phones unless directly sold by 3.

I live in the sticks, and 17mbit DSL is available. "Mobile broadband" is no substitute for a landline connection.

They don't cover anyone not standing outdoors next to a 3 mast. It did't work for me in Dublin city center.

It's not just about coverage, it's about their ****ty domestic roaming setup requiring custom firmware - thus not supporting phones unless directly sold by 3.

If you go look through the threads you'll see I have no love for three... and in fact relentlessly mock and deride them...

BUT

They do absolutely have coverage in Dublin... I use my phone every day and it works... if it didn't they'd have no customers...

as far as firmware... this is one of those android phone issues I've managed to avoid by having an iPhone... lucky me...

The issue affected the iphone in the past as you are well aware, with 3 blaming apple and vice versa. They did sort it at least. It's not an android issue, it's because of 3 not having a 2g network.

It's blatant false advertising - they sell sim only contracts. But don't support non-3 phones!? No other network has this issue, and 3 have never admitted it. I know many people that seem to think it's normal to toggle airplane mode everytime they want to use data.

The issue affected the iphone in the past as you are well aware, with 3 blaming apple and vice versa. They did sort it at least. It's not an android issue, it's because of 3 not having a 2g network.

It's blatant false advertising - they sell sim only contracts. But don't support non-3 phones!? No other network has this issue, and 3 have never admitted it. I know many people that seem to think it's normal to toggle airplane mode everytime they want to use data.

We have two iPhones in our house and have no such issues... saying that... at one point Three's stupid as dirt customer service told me I couldn't use 3G if my wifi was turned on... of course that's total BS...

At any rate... I have two iPhones, I use them to make calls all over Dublin... it's fine... not great, but fine... for the cost...

The data is fine as well... not 4G - even where the map claims it is - but fine... I drive around town listening to streaming radio with almost no issues...

NOW... I do have issues with texts not showing up for hours sometimes...

And their customer service is like a punch in the face most of the time...

And they're ruthlessly dishonest... and will walk a mile to screw their customers... BUT... I mostly use a lot of data and refuse to pay 30-40€ on top of my phone bill for data.....

As soon as ANY other company offers that, I will jump ship to them... on that day... with both of my accounts...

until then, I just suffer through...

If you are a taxi driver or something when I can see why you need so much data. With myself I just use wifi most of the time, so even paying e10/month for 7.5GB is silly.

I was with vodafone last year, expensive but works ok. Got it free for a year as well, because I kicked up a fuss when they lied to me about roaming charges etc. Once that ran out I switched :p

Don't take any **** from mobile companies, complain to Comreg etc - you will probably end up getting compensation.

• Advertisement

If you are a taxi driver or something when I can see why you need so much data. With myself I just use wifi most of the time, so even paying e10/month for 7.5GB is silly.

I was with vodafone last year, expensive but works ok. Got it free for a year as well, because I kicked up a fuss when they lied to me about roaming charges etc. Once that ran out I switched :p

Don't take any **** from mobile companies, complain to Comreg etc - you will probably end up getting compensation.

I have done in the past and you are most certainly correct... I have also reported that ridiculous three map to the regulator and have gotten official confirmation that they are looking into it... it's obviously bait and switch and false advertising... so despicable...

Saying that, three has been forced to offer me a permanent discounted rate - twice... so I pay about 25% less than the average punter for my plan... and always get free upgrades... so... it could be worse... for me personally...

the average punter, could EASILY get screwed by Three.... and probably does...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I am very interested in why you get it 25% cheaper!

If you kick up a fuss and get comreg involved, the mobile network will usually throw you a bone to shut you up. I got about e500 worth of free usage from vodafone because they lied to me about roaming charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I am not on Vodafone, but now I am jealous. I'm on Three, and loving the value, but not the network drop-out issues.

Hoping for good things following the merger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If you kick up a fuss and get comreg involved, the mobile network will usually throw you a bone to shut you up. I got about e500 worth of free usage from vodafone because they lied to me about roaming charges.

Didn't work for me. Meteor wrongly charged my data usage for several month and when I complained (on multiple occasions and in written) they always denied and said it was an issue with me not understanding my bills (whereas their were charging in a different way than what was written down on the website and on the contract I signed).

Once I got ComReg involved, they eventually admitted their mistake and refunded the overpaid amount. However they did not give me a single euro to apologise for my troubles. I did ask for it and they just stopped replying to me (and I also mentioned it to ComReg and they said they can only force the company to fix their mistake but not to provide additional compensation).

It's a rotten system really. It took me several emails and phone calls to Meteor and Comreag to get it fixed (over a few months, as even once ComReg got involved, Meteor first denied the issue), at which point most people would have given up because of the trouble. If companies don't have to provide compensation even after being proven wrong and having blatantly lied and refused to do anything until ComReg is involved, their will obviously keep pushing back whenever a customer complains (regardless of the customer being right or wrong).

My lesson learned: next time I'll go to ComReg directly and not bother discussion more than a few minutes with customer service if they don't want to listen to me.

Advertisement