Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortgage in my name but b/fs deposit

• 10-08-2020 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi folks
    The b/f has. Bad credit rating over a revoked card in 2013. He’s still paying it though with €2k left
    My rating is squeaky clean and can borrow €150k with current guidelines - civil servant, permanent job etc
    The b/f can furnish the deposit of €60k
    Can we work it that both our names on deeds but my name on mortgage
    As with his bad credit rating it’s unlikely he’ll get the mortgage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

If he has a €60K deposit then why has he an outstanding credit card balance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I can’t see how this would work- if you stop paying the mortgage, how could the bank repossess a house that was only half yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Interesting question but don't think the banks will do this. Makes no sense for them. The loan is against the property but they can't allow someone who doesn't qualify for the loan to have half the property.

As an example I've seen, if someone has a mortgage on their property and they then have a partner and wish to share that property officially, and get their name on the deeds, you need to apply for a whole new mortgage with the bank in both your names.

Also, the credit rating lasts for 5 years AFAIK, i.e. it could have been gone by 2018 if the debt had been paid off. If he'd used the money he's been saving to get rid of the debt, there would be no record of it with the credit bureau now.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, I've just been reading up about all of this stuff for a LONG time. Best that you talk to the bank. Also, clear the debt asap, it's honestly the most liberating thing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Your boyfriend is being an absolute moron for not cleaning that credit card. It will be on his credit report for 5 years from the point its cleared, so why is he sitting on €60k yet not paid off a 7 year old debt for a relatively small amount.

He needs to clear it TODAY. The longer its outstanding, the longer it will haunt him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Rimmy

Have a look at previous posts from this user.

Story changes every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Rimmy wrote: »

A few elaborate posts at that!

Lives in a 550K house in one thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Clear the debt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

A few elaborate posts at that!

Lives in a 550K house in one thread.

It gained 50k in a few weeks if so. Outstanding mortgage went down from 75K to 68k very quickly as well.
    The job changes quite often too. Interesting life!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Retiring in 1 post, starting uni in the next...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tippingpoint

They have an ex husband in one post, and an ex wife in another :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Maybe being a bit harsh on OP here. I've sometimes fabricated bits and pieces to conceal possibly being connected with my real life identity. Frill details won't affect core answers given, so perhaps things have been changed about but the question remains genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Looking at the post history, the only plausible explanation is that Edenbridge is an extremely incompetent mortgage advisor who comes on here to ask the questions they are being asked.

Any other possibility is less polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

He'd have to sign away his rights to the house. Was in the same situation. Mortgage is in my name only

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Rimmy wrote: »

Seemed to change gender at one point too.
    Hi folks

Hope you can shed some advice

Back in 2014 myself and wife separated. At the time I earned 60k and she earned 20k.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Seemed to change gender at one point too.

not necessarily. Somebody could have a wife and a boyfriend in later life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

not necessarily. Somebody could have a wife and a boyfriend in later life.

True, but they also had a husband a few years before the wife.
    Hubby turning 40 soon and has never been to Anfield and wanted to get tickets for the Arsenal game on 3rd March.
    Can anyone advise how I go about getting these tickets.
    Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The entertainment factor of this thread is unexpectedly good.

To the substantive question in case someone ever googled the question and got this thread, the bank needs there to be no other people with a right to the property before issuing a loan against it that is secured against the same property. That's why your solicitor does PRA searches on a property, for example. There might be agreements where someone can not be a party to the loan but forfeit their right to the property if the loan defaults, but that sounds rather exotic and banks aren't much in the exotic mood.

And yes, if you have a bad debt but loads of savings you are really causing yourself trouble for nothing. Indeed, if you have a CC balance of any sort and a load of cash in the bank, you are a mug for not clearing the balance, arrears or no.

irish_goat wrote: »
    True, but they also had a husband a few years before the wife.

Well I believe the OP is 67, so plenty time for life experiences, as an aside, how old can you get before the bank says no to an application

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I do not believe this thread is genuine.

OP - do not create any further threads on this, or other potential scenarios as you have no consistent story

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement