Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is a ‘return’ in architecture?

Options
  • 03-06-2020 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi there. Not sure if this is in the right place but if not hopefully you can re-direct. Can anyone explain to be what a ‘return’ is, as in a ‘rear return’ or ‘side return’. The context is Georgian houses in Dublin. I’ve searched online and I can’t find a clear definition. I’m involved in a little model building project and need to understand exactly what is mean by the term, and I’m not an architect or involved in the building trade. Any help or insight offered is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

Its the "bit around the corner" .... basically think of a wall ....L shaped .... the main part of the wall is the vertical line and the return is the bit that goes around the corner ... the bottom of the L.
    same principle applies anytime a wall or unit/press has come to the end of its "line" and is turned (usually 90 degrees) to meet the next "line".
    hard to explain via a text description ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

have a look at the March first entry here
    http://www.a2.ie/category/news/
    the return is the pice at the back of the main building, projecting back into the garden, typical were servants quarters.
    its still visible in the one on the left of the ugliness.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheNah

hero25 wrote: »
    Its the "bit around the corner" .... basically think of a wall ....L shaped .... the main part of the wall is the vertical line and the return is the bit that goes around the corner ... the bottom of the L.
    same principle applies anytime a wall or unit/press has come to the end of its "line" and is turned (usually 90 degrees) to meet the next "line".
    hard to explain via a text description ;-)

That’s really helpful, think I’m starting to get it. Funny term for it.

the return is the pice at the back of the main building, projecting back into the garden, typical were servants quarters.

So it’s the bit jutting out into the garden, doesn’t matter if it’s not at an angle to the main building?

So it’s the bit jutting out into the garden, doesn’t matter if it’s not at an angle to the main building?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

TheNah wrote: »
    That’s really helpful, think I’m starting to get it. Funny term for it.
    For a staircase, a return is where half the flight goes forward, then a landing, then the second half returns the opposite direction.
    These rear/side returns were usually joined on at the landing where the stairs returned.

wench wrote: »
    For a staircase, a return is where half the flight goes forward, then a landing, then the second half returns the opposite direction.
    These rear/side returns were usually joined on at the landing where the stairs returned.

Ah. That makes sense. Starting to see how the term is used now. Thank you.

TheNah wrote: »
    Ah. That makes sense. Starting to see how the term is used now. Thank you.

Good, feel free to return with any questions, to improve the return on the time you invested here, before you return that tool to whoever you borrowed it from and so on!.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good, feel free to return with any questions, to improve the return on the time you invested here, before you return that tool to whoever you borrowed it from and so on!.
    Stick to the daytime job :P

muffler wrote: »
    Stick to the daytime job :P

Of course, but all this cocooning is Shakespearing me:D
    Keep well and safe

• Advertisement
Advertisement