Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spacex first human launch 27th May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

de odds gods guarantee clouds saturday sad panda

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

scudzilla wrote: »
    I don't get it, why cancel because of low cloud, it's not like they're driving the thing and have to see where they're going

Lightning in the area so NASA don't want to have another Apollo 12 incident.

Edit: dissapointing but better to be safe.

"Apollo 12, Houston, try SCE to Auxiliary, over."

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kegg

Well is the iss out and about tonight then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

What time is launch on Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

ISS passing over at 22.53 and starlink4 train passing 23.07.clears skies so the starlink train may be visible

8:22pm Irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

8.22pm our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

namloc1980 wrote: »
    That's it. Scrubbed. No chance of seeing of it on Saturday as it'll be much earlier at around 20.22.

Odds are we weren't going to see much if anything tonight anyway. Wasn't it only going to be mag +2.2 and in a post sunset but still bright sky at Dublins latitude.

8.22pm our time.

So we won’t get to see it then :(

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Odds are we weren't going to see much if anything tonight anyway. Wasn't it only going to be mag +2.2 and in a post sunset but still bright sky at Dublins latitude.

Much better chance to glimpse it, but no chance of Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,003 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

upupup wrote: »
    ISS passing over at 22.53 and starlink4 train passing 23.07.clears skies so the starlink train may be visible

Where in the sky would the starlink be visible ?

No chance of seeing it Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I know people are disappointed but there are still loads of people still looking at it on YouTube.

I only heard of this today and can learn more about it before Saturday.

See it in the sky ? Probably not but you can still watch it launch.

What time is starlink6 tonight?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

More on that lightning strike. https://history.nasa.gov/afj/ap12fj/a12-lightningstrike.html

Adjusted for inflation the Apollo 12 mission would cost $3.2 billion today.

That steely-eyed missile man John Aaron earned his pay that day.

Saturday weather isn't great either. Spring/early Summer in Florida is lightning storm central.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Where in the sky would the starlink be visible ?

straight overhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I was in Florida a few years ago at this time of the year. Every day like clockwork from around 3-6 you had sudden thunder lightning and rain . Small sudden pockets of it.

I wouldn't think the odds for Saturday are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I was in Florida a few years ago at this time of the year. Every day like clockwork from around 3-6 you had sudden thunder lightning and rain . Small sudden pockets of it.

I wouldn't think the odds for Saturday are great.

Sunday is backup to Saturday. The instantaneous launch window is about 30mins earlier every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Saturday weather isn't great either. Spring/early Summer in Florida is lightning storm central.

which begs the question ..why choose this time of the year??

anyway why can't they not come back a few hours later??

fryup wrote: »

It requires a very specific time and launch angle to catch up with the International Space Station. Hence the instantaneous launch window. They wouldn't intercept the ISS unless launched at a precise time.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Think it's something to do with aligning with the International Space Station. Only certain discrete launch points in time allow them to link up with it.

Sure time of year doesn't make much difference given the most famous weather event happened in November, 1969 and was in awful weather and was hit by lightning twice.

They have a launch window planed so as to intercept the ISS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

It requires a very specific time and launch angle to catch up with the International Space Station. Hence the instantaneous launch window. They wouldn't intercept the ISS unless launched at a precise time.

of course Trigonometry ....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭josip

At least it was an impressive pass by the ISS tonight, pity the kids were asleep in bed for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

of course Trigonometry ....
    don't be mentioning implements of maths instruction :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

josip wrote: »
    At least it was an impressive pass by the ISS tonight, pity the kids were asleep in bed for it.

Missed it. Any links for the next few days? 8 year old scoffed at me when the launch was aborted earlier, I was reliving the 80s in my own head.
    Spent an age until 11 outside gardening, never thought to look up after the Spacex.

Advertisement