Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are people so quick to slate people with degrees?

• 17-01-2020 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Anyone noticed that some people are so quick to slate people who have degrees? For example, 'Person A has a degree but is useless at their job'
    Surely earning a degree proves in itself the person is a hard worker, determined, and obviouly has some kind of intelligence?
    Im sure anyone with a degree would agree that you just dont get handed out one for doing nothing?
    Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Being highly intelligent and hard worker does mean there arnt useless now.

I am me123 wrote: »
    Anyone noticed that some people are so quick to slate people who have degrees? For example, 'Person A has a degree but is useless at their job'
    Surely earning a degree proves in itself the person is a hard worker, determined, and obviouly has some kind of intelligence?
    Im sure anyone with a degree would agree that you just dont get handed out one for doing nothing?
    Thoughts?

True, but the workplace is a different level. For staters someone is paying you a wage where you can making a living i.e. not cheap so you have to perfom.

I've a professional qualification (masters level) and an Honours degree - in relation to work they're necessary to get your foot in the door, but on the job experience will always trump it.

A lot of people have degrees now, and not everyone is a good worker - therefore you're going to have people with degrees and not good at their job. Some even spend too much time on Boards.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A degree is what the leaving Cert used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭I am me123

Thank you.

Would you agree that getting an third level education is a waste of time & money in most cases?

Thank you.

Would you agree that getting an third level education is a waste of time & money in most cases?

No. How did you come to that conclusion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I've literally never heard a person being slagged off in relation to having a degree in any job I've been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Because in most cases, a third level education provides you with very little in terms of soft skills (and even technical skills!) to use in the working world - how to collaborate well with others, how to use IT tools in solving business problems, how to deal with difficult clients etc. However, students act as though their education means that they're more qualified for a job even though in most cases degrees have tenuous link to their career.

For example, I work in tax even though I have an arts degree. Most of my colleagues have a BComm or BESS degree. Does having a business/commerce background make them better at their job? I don't think so. Possibly it made a difference in the initial few weeks of the trainee-ship but now it makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Thank you.

It depends what you get out of it and what you use it to do. For the learning it's still a good thing to do. Showing up for four years is all it says to most employers. A fair number of people are barely employable when they finish and in some fields. notably IT, they have expectations wildly above the abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've literally never heard a person being slagged off in relation to having a degree in any job I've been in.
    There are issues around knowledge and actual skills, in areas like IT. This is not necessarily the fault of graduates but some can display very limited grasp of what they have learnt. Give them a couple of years and some can bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Thoughts?

Maybe because some think that's enough and they will never need to learn anything new in their life.
    Specifically in I.T. there's lots of people with supposed education that don't understand elementary stuff like TCP/IP or basics of cryptography (like what's a public or private key, what makes communication secure and what doesn't).
    So whether someone has a degree or not doesn't really tell you how they will perform.
    Also there's a lot of guys who say learn Basic, Pascal or whatever flavor of the year language and haven't bothered to update their skills in 10 years. So today they are completely useless for anything other than maintaining old systems and can't be even bothered to say learn how to make Android or iOS apps. With guys here you often find that they never stepped out of their comfort zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Nope. Some degrees are truly worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

antix80 wrote: »
    Nope. Some degrees are truly worthless.

Go on then, give us an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Thoughts?

That's because they are useless at their job. End of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I've a diploma in horticulture going back to the 90's, took me 3 year's of study to get my diploma, now you can get a degree in the 3 year's ffs

I remember my first job in horticulture was in a huge nursery outside Edinburgh, in a place called Loanhead.

Myself and a guy from London started together, he had a degree in horticulture from one of the best horticulture course's in the UK.

He was one of the most useless bstrds I ever came across, more brain than common sense.
    Ask him to keep his area clean and it was beneath him.

I'm in the horticultural game since 1989 and I assure you the degree's they're getting nowadays in Ireland might as well be a 12 week course.

In my line of work you've to get your hands dirty, it's not all about fancy garden designer's and getting others to do the work because your qualification gives you the justification to be an arrogant little cnut....

If you can't get your hands dirty in my line of work well you may as well wipe your arse with your degree, because it's useless.

nthclare wrote: »
    I've a diploma in horticulture going back to the 90's, took me 3 year's of study to get my diploma, now you can get a degree in the 3 year's ffs

A Level 7 degree today is the equivalent of the old 3-year diplomas.

A level 8 honours degree can be achieved in 3 years in some institutions, but it is important to appreciate that the number of years is not a good indicator of quality/equivalence. The number of credits for a programme ultimately determine the amount of weekly time (contact/non-contact hours) a student must undertake. So a 3-year, Level 8 honours degree might (should) have more weekly hours effort required than a 4 year honours degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I think this is because some, after just getting 3rd level degree think they know everything and look down on others that don't have one.
    These types need to be put back on the ground. They usually come down quickly themselves once they realize that having degree does not automatically open all the doors and there is no 6 figure salary waiting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

There used to be jobs where some people came into it via degree courses and some via apprenticeship; nurses and actuaries used to be like that.

In that case the apprentice would have much more practical experience than the recent graduate, who would take a while to catch up.

When they did catch up, perhaps their academic background would stand to them as they explored different parts of their field.

Or perhaps they just had a good time in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Tefral

Having completed a degree and have had "the school of hard knocks" experience before that, I would say a degree is more about perseverance than actual intelligence.

I'm an external examiner for a degree course to ensure it lines up with my industry also.

I wouldn't say people slate people with degrees, its certainly not been my experience. I have got the odd jibe off the site based staff saying they would love my soft job, but they can walk away at 5 an if the place burned down it wouldn't worry them, where as my job is more stressful because it does affect me.

My advice to my family members looking at going for a degree has been this:

"If it doesnt have your job in the name of the degree, then its not really worth it" I dont mean that as a slight on Arts degrees etc, i just mean if you wanted to by a Physio, then do a Physio degree. Want to be a Aeronautical engineer, do an Aeronautical engineers degree. Want to be a Quantity Surveyor, do a BSc in Quantity Surveying

Tefral wrote: »
    I would say a degree is more about perseverance than actual intelligence.

If my recent performance at an online family quiz night is anything to go by, I would be in full agreement with you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Go on then, give us an example.

Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery is a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I wasted 5 years in college studying for a degree which I have rarely used in my professional life. It could be argued that I learnt how to write longer reports, that is all. I could have been off touring the world at the age when you are young and free and it is worth seeing. Instead I sat on a bus for 2 hours a day and hung around the SU smoking fags, joints and drinking coffee. I sometimes also ate crisps or went to the bookies, but you get my gist.

The reality of Irish 3rd level is that it was a great way of soothing our unemployment figures in the mid 80's and early 90's. Before the Celtic Tiger, either your family got you a job through connections, you emigrated or your unemployment was suspended for 3-4 years while you studied.

Things like Business and Arts degrees are basically pointless. I know, I have both. You could learn the entire syllabus of both my degrees without attending lectures if you applied yourself. I think you can apply the same argument for a Law degree, you would learn more studying in the Kings Inn or the Law Library than you will in either NUI or TCU, or anywhere else.

I cannot comment on medicine degrees or engineering ones, I am not that clever, but I am sure either alumni would be capable of offering educational economies to either form of learning.

One last thing, some, if not all of the best business leaders, CEO's and entrepreneurs I have been lucky enough to work with all got to where they are through cold hard work ( and a lot of luck it must be said ). They would all attest to that, many of them did not even have a Leaving Cert.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I wasted 5 years in college studying for a degree which I have rarely used in my professional life. It could be argued that I learnt how to right longer reports, that is all. I could have been off touring the world at the age when you are young and free and it is worth seeing. Instead I sat on a bus for 2 hours a day and hung around the SU smoking fags, joints and drinking coffee. I sometimes also ate crisps or went to the bookies, but you get my gist.

The reality of Irish 3rd level is that it was a great way of soothing our unemployment figures in the mid 80's and early 90's. Before the Celtic Tiger, either your family got you a job through connections, you emigrated or your unemployment was suspended for 3-4 years while you studied.

Things like Business and Arts degrees are basically pointless. I know, I have both. You could learn the entire syllabus of both my degrees without attending lectures if you applied yourself. I think you can apply the same argument for a Law degree, you would learn more studying in the Kings Inn or the Law Library than you will in either NUI or TCU, or anywhere else.

I cannot comment on medicine degrees or engineering ones, I am not that clever, but I am sure either alumni would be capable of offering educational economies to either form of learning.

One last thing, some, if not all of the best business leaders, CEO's and entrepreneurs I have been lucky enough to work with all got to where they are through cold hard work ( and a lot of luck it must be said ). They would all attest to that, many of them did not even have a Leaving Cert.

Apart from family firms very few MDs or CEO's won't have a degree. Vanishingly few I imagine.

You've probably underestimated the benefit of your degrees. But, take your logic further. What's the point of education, what did geography or history do to make you now employable? Possibly lots by making you a more rounded individual that's better at thinking and critical analysis. By your logic we should only study Maths and maybe English (or is that stretching it?).

Now. Where I'll partially agree with you is that one can get a low level degree without putting in much effort, but those fully engaging will benefit from the education.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I think the public's view on 3rd level education is wrong.
    There many who have 3rd level degree but work in a job completely unrelated to it. The only reason why they got one was because it was trendy and mammy/daddy pushed to get one. When I say to get one means any 3rd level degree. This concept is really flawed as kids that have just out of school are doing degrees that they not interested in. So many either fall within 1st year and get demotivated, while others get a degree that they don't know what to do with. Because some degrees are more trendy than others the job market is also gets messed up as you can see them coming in waves. Then you get this situation were degree loses value.

I think leaving cert students should work/travel for a couple of years before commencing any 3rd level. Not in every case , but the reality is that at that age most kids haven't a notion what they want to do. A couple of years paying rent and fending for yourself would soon put you in the right direction.

kowloon wrote: »
    Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery is a thing.

Where? Seriously, I have been involved in a number of approval boards for degree programmes and I would be very, very surprised if that was approved.

Genuine query, I'm not trying to be facetious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Beause in many cases they have no common sense and will look down on people without a degree
    Its like the middle class masters at the moment that are getting so popular

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Where? Seriously, I have been involved in a number of approval boards for degree programmes and I would be very, very surprised if that was approved.

Genuine query, I'm not trying to be facetious.

Google's your friend, but isn't your background IT (if memory serves).

Not knocking the ground up, work hard to get on in your career path, but what jobs do people get (apart from apprenticeship roles - which also include further education) without degrees?

Not knocking the ground up, work hard to get on in your career path, but what jobs do people get (apart from apprenticeship roles - which also include further education) without degrees?

You could start in a supermarket at 15 years of age and technically be running it in ten years if you played your cards right and worked hard. It might be difficult going through your late teens and early twenties garnering such responsibility, but it is certainly not impossible.

• Advertisement

Google's your friend, but isn't your background IT (if memory serves).

Google Garage is no ubstitute for a FETAC / QQI Level 2 course either

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement