Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Housemate making home unliveable

• 15-12-2019 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Yo! So really need some advice here. We have recently gotten a new housemate. Been here 3 maybe 4 months. First month was fine. They seemed quiet and clean. Their partner was over occassionally but seemed ok. Then they broke up and the nightmare starts.

Basically its the noise. So much noise the last 2 months For 5 out of 7 nights music was playing. We managed to stop that. Great. Now its just talking. Their partner is over every night and the 2 of them just seem to talk and bang doors until 3 and 4am. Seems no amount of asking them to stop that they making the house miserable for others seems to work.

Friday night for example. The 2 of them smashed in the door at 4am. Turned on music and chatted away. I waited an hour or so in the hopes they would go to bed. No luck. At half 5 I had to get up and tell them to shut up and the entire room was filled with smoke from them smoking with some random dude. Annoyingly the random dude was the only one who seemed apologetic. The one who lives here just sat there smirking at me. Similar stuff has happened over the last few weeks but this was the most infuriating.

Ive been here 4 years and I thought id stay another 2 at least but im seriously considering calling it quits in January. The other housemate been here 2 years and he wants the new one out. So basically what are our options.

I have no direct landlord contact just a letting agency and I dont know what a landlord would really want to do in this instance. I can get rid of them in the summer when lease renewal rolls around by just telling them we dont want them to renew but honestly I am not sure I can make it that far. I mean I could just ask them to move out but why would they and what would stop them from getting worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

Looshkins wrote: »
    Yo! So really need some advice here. We have recently gotten a new housemate. Been here 3 maybe 4 months. First month was fine. They seemed quiet and clean. Their partner was over occassionally but seemed ok. Then they broke up and the nightmare starts.

Basically its the noise. So much noise the last 2 months For 5 out of 7 nights music was playing. We managed to stop that. Great. Now its just talking. Their partner is over every night and the 2 of them just seem to talk and bang doors until 3 and 4am. Seems no amount of asking them to stop that they making the house miserable for others seems to work.

Friday night for example. The 2 of them smashed in the door at 4am. Turned on music and chatted away. I waited an hour or so in the hopes they would go to bed. No luck. At half 5 I had to get up and tell them to shut up and the entire room was filled with smoke from them smoking with some random dude. Annoyingly the random dude was the only one who seemed apologetic. The one who lives here just sat there smirking at me. Similar stuff has happened over the last few weeks but this was the most infuriating.

Ive been here 4 years and I thought id stay another 2 at least but im seriously considering calling it quits in January. The other housemate been here 2 years and he wants the new one out. So basically what are our options.

I have no direct landlord contact just a letting agency and I dont know what a landlord would really want to do in this instance. I can get rid of them in the summer when lease renewal rolls around by just telling them we dont want them to renew but honestly I am not sure I can make it that far. I mean I could just ask them to move out but why would they and what would stop them from getting worse.

if you can, save yourself an unimaginable amount of bloody grief, and just go. Quietly, as it seems from your post that is what you would want to do.
    No drama, just dignified, relaxed, in the knowledge you're hopefully, going to a nicer place.
    Feck this nonsense of music, and random people in your house!
    I know people are entitled to do a certain amount of what they want, if they pay rent etc, but my god! This speaks of a lack of respect for boundaries
    Wish you the best of luck ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Have you tried asking him to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bluebells121

I have had tenants in the past, one very similar to the one you describe, no landlord wants their property trashed, and tension going on. I gave him two chances to change his ways, after that he was given immediate notice, despite his protests and promises to change.I suggest you and your other housemate sit down together with this other housemate and tell him, things as they are not working out, and it is highly likely the letting agency will get to find out what is going on, and then you will all be given notice to leave. Tell him firmly, that unless he starts to be a bit more considerate then you will have to ask him to leave. I wish you all the best with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I have had tenants in the past, one very similar to the one you describe, no landlord wants their property trashed, and tension going on. I gave him two chances to change his ways, after that he was given immediate notice, despite his protests and promises to change.I suggest you and your other housemate sit down together with this other housemate and tell him, things as they are not working out, and it is highly likely the letting agency will get to find out what is going on, and then you will all be given notice to leave. Tell him firmly, that unless he starts to be a bit more considerate then you will have to ask him to leave. I wish you all the best with this.

I know these types of guys. You can ask 'em all you want, they wont change for you or anyone. Its the letting agents fault for not doing their checks properly.
    Get out in January and let them sort it out.

I know these types of guys. You can ask 'em all you want, they wont change for you or anyone. Its the letting agents fault for not doing their checks properly.
    Get out in January and let them sort it out.

If the OP, rather than the landlord picked the new joint tenant or licensee then it's really the OP's problem. The OP is also responsible for paying the rent and breaking the lease.

• Advertisement

If the OP, rather than the landlord picked the new joint tenant or licensee then it's really the OP's problem. The OP is also responsible for paying the rent and breaking the lease.

If they have no problem kicking down the door at 4 am what do you think they are going to do when asked to leave? This is not about who is right or wrong its about how easy it is to get away from those characters, without any collateral damage

If they have no problem kicking down the door at 4 am what do you think they are going to do when asked to leave? This is not about who is right or wrong its about how easy it is to get away from those characters, without any collateral damage

How will the OP avoid collateral damage by leaving? They will get a quiet night but they will still be liable for damage and rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AbdAlAla

If you don't like it you can leave.

The OP is in the property 4 years and wants to stay for another 2 ? before the rent freeze? Maybe the LandLord let them in to clear the house and jack up the rent in January? New tennents new contracts?

How will the OP avoid collateral damage by leaving? They will get a quiet night but they will still be liable for damage and rent.

They dont sound like reasonable types and might decide to put a brick through the window of the OPs car. Nobody is going to come after them for that. Hence it is better for the landlord/estate agent to sort it out

• Advertisement

This crap of having the other half over non stop, mad breakup and and acting like Fr Jack Hackett on toiletduck sound like real head dramarama going on.
    I would give this looper a wide berth as soon as possible. once this lad is told to shift his gear there could be consequences and repercussions to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Their partner was over occassionally but seemed ok. Then they broke up and ......

Their partner is over every night and the 2 of them just seem to talk and bang doors until 3 and 4am.

Just to clarify as its not clear....is this a new partner ? He was fine with the previous one but now this one as all but moved themselves in?
    The partner staying over nightly is in itself enough to chuck them out surely no ?

Just to clarify as its not clear....is this a new partner ? He was fine with the previous one but now this one as all but moved themselves in?
    The partner staying over nightly is in itself enough to chuck them out surely no ?

This is true. I think the bigger issue is how does the OP get clear of this nutter. None of what is described above constitutes normal behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Who interviewed and accepted the tenants?

Anyway if the room was let for one and now the partner is over 5 nights a week inform the letting agency who inform the landlord. Only fair the rent is jacked up on that room and also a more equal split of bills is formalised. The OP would be a sucker to pay for the partners share of bills

Likely the landlord will say no anyway and hopefully the nutter will leave. No shortage of sound & cool easy going potential housemates out there, The summer is a long time away, dealing with tension is no way to live

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The OP is there 4 years. Why should they leave?!
    It's their home at this stage.
    I'm sure the LL won't want to lose them over some waster who's there four months?!

To thine own self be true

The OP is there 4 years. Why should they leave?!
    It's their home at this stage.
    I'm sure the LL won't want to lose them over some waster who's there four months?!

Great question. That would be fine if you were dealing with a normal logical person. In this case its not so. Its not about the landlord its about the nutter who kicked the door down at 4AM. IF he has no problem kicking the door down then he will have no problem kicking the OPs head in or vandalising his property. Might suit the landlords agenda to clear the house and up the rent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I hope you and your other "victim" housemate have filed complaints against the troublemaker with the rental agent already. (Which they could then communicate to the landlord)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Document everything that happened include dates times etc.

On the above basis send a letter signed by all the affected inc. yourself to the agent/landlord, stating that you want them to get rid of this person or you all will leave on a set date without penalty as your have been placed in an unsafe situation. Be prepared to move out on the date and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Great question. That would be fine if you were dealing with a normal logical person. In this case its not so. Its not about the landlord its about the nutter who kicked the door down at 4AM. IF he has no problem kicking the door down then he will have no problem kicking the OPs head in or vandalising his property. Might suit the landlords agenda to clear the house and up the rent
    Fwiw, I didn't read it as literally smashing in the door. I got that they fell in the door drunk?

To thine own self be true

Fwiw, I didn't read it as literally smashing in the door. I got that they fell in the door drunk?

I read it as " The 2 of them smashed in the door at 4am."
    OP, can you clarify?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most lease,s or tenancy agreements have a clause no subletting,
    you are paying rent to stay in a house with 3 people, not 3 people plus random partner, girl friend.
    5 nights is way over the limit even if there was no noise problem.
    rent should not be increased,
    the idiot should be told, no one stays overnight who is not an official tenant.
    There should be a rule in agreement ,no loud noise after midnight till 8am.
    the letting agent probably looks at form,this person work,s ,earns enough
    to pay the rent.
    You should be looking at getting this person evicted or moving out as soon as your lease is finished .
    write a letter ,giving all this info, ask the agent to pass it on to the landlord.
    polite letter, saying can you evict this person.
    if not i will have to seriously consider moving out on a certain date.
    it sounds like they came in drunk at 4 am,
    and made alot of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Parentalunit

The landlord won't want the hassle of getting rid of the tenant unless:
    -S/he is doing serious damage to the property, e.g. structural
    -S/he is annoying the neighbours or the RA. They can make life difficult if looking for planning permission and the guards will respond to their complaints.
    -S/he is causing other tenants to leave resulting in reduced rent but in this case the OP would have to leave before the landlord might take notice and anyway it's easy to get replacements in the current accommodation crisis.

My advice to the OP is get out as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

I suggest that you do not try to deal with this yourself, you are under pressure.

Arrange to meet the landlord, or the agent, and ask for them to sort the problem - insist that they sort this unacceptable situation.

If you can - if not- perhaps you have a friend or family member who can assist with this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Love how a brand new poster drops a bombshell thread starter, let's other posters quibble about the 'apparent' situation and then totally fails to engage any further. Smells of another 'social experiment' thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Baseball72

Don't see why you should leave. Sit down with the other housemate and this dude and agree house rules . Ideally you should have had house rules summary when he moved in but you are where you are. If he doesn't play ball, report him to agency - may not be of any use of course. For now, I would say stand your ground, play hard ball, and review early in the new year.mif no improvement, then move on......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How are you renting the property? Because when he's there over 6 months he can become a tenant regardless of his current status and you won't be able to kick him out. Either get him out now or leave yourself.

degsie wrote: »
    Love how a brand new poster drops a bombshell thread starter, let's other posters quibble about the 'apparent' situation and then totally fails to engage any further. Smells of another 'social experiment' thread.

Just only seen that now. there are a few "new members" on boards tonight.
    Thank you I am done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

If they have no problem kicking down the door at 4 am what do you think they are going to do when asked to leave?

I don't think this was an actual destruction of a door; I think it's just that they made a lot of noise coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Have a house meeting , tell the fella you want him out unless he changes his ways , be nice but firm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Go to the LL or agent with two choices, they kick them out and get somebody or you kick them out and get somebody it's that simple they won't change it probably won't be the first time they were kicked out either. If that doesn't work you will have to move.

Advertisement