Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling to Galway CoCo

• 09-05-2019 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with selling to Galway CoCo.

They are working thru an estate agent and he is due to call me to strike a deal. Just looking for any experience in terms of do they ask us for a price or do we ask them to make an offer.

The council told us that we will deal directly with agent.

We do not have estate agent but only sold another property last December in the same area so well aware of the market as I have been tracking sales etc

Thanks for any pointers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Anyone with any experience even with dealing with negotiations with the estate agent and what to expect i.e. do you ask them to make an offer or we should state the expected price?

Just in case anyone is interested.

I completed the sale of my property to the council. All in all went fairly smoothly (I sold a similar property to private sellers in 2018 for comparison)

The sale end to end process took 4 months, really could have taken 3 except for issues with my solicitor 🀨

I'm now officially out of the private rental business and it feels GREAT ðŸ‘

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

LFC Murphy wrote: »

I completed the sale of my property to the council. All in all went fairly smoothly (I sold a similar property to private sellers in 2018 for comparison)

The sale end to end process took 4 months, really could have taken 3 except for issues with my solicitor 🀨

Congratulations a mugs game !
    Any chance of a loan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Iodine1

Just curious. Did you sell to the council, vacant possession or with tenants in situ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

And on here the landlord bashers /keyboard warriors of justice would have us all believe the renting game is a one way ticket to riches. What is wrong with this tall tale ?

• Advertisement

And on here the landlord bashers /keyboard warriors of justice would have us all believe the renting game is a one way ticket to riches. What is wrong with this tall tale ?

A miserable road to stress , taxes , bad tenants ( is there actually a good one )
    House tax , insurance, lawns maintenance , washing machines showers , dryers nothing seems to last in a rental house for some reason !
    The list is endless !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The issue is that at current rent levels - the amount of money going into the rental sector "should" be enough.

But it's not enough - which means there are cost issues - for example the tax situation.

Other issues include the costs incurred from Celtic tiger era mortgages and the issues from the crash that followed.

Rental sector at present is a bit of a money pit - it's like the way the HSE struggles even though record money is going into the health service.

To put it in prospective........

At 2 k a month - that's 24 k a year.....

It's 240 k over 10 years

480 k over 20 years......

720 k over 30 years.....

960 k over 40 years.....

1100 k over 50 years....

Not everyone is getting 2 k.

So if we assume 1600 per month.......

19200 a year......

192 k over 10 years......

384 k over 20 years

576 k over 30 years

768 k over 40 years

960 k over 50 years

1152 k over 60 years.

The above all assumes no increase at all.

We are talking sums of money that should buy the house outright at least twice.

The costs need looking at.

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Just curious. Did you sell to the council, vacant possession or with tenants in situ?

Vacant possession... 6 months notice for tenant (plus another 2 for overholding)

So Vacancy (6+2) + Sale (4 months)

= Freedom from mental anguish and headaches

A miserable road to stress , taxes , bad tenants ( is there actually a good one )
    House tax , insurance, lawns maintenance , washing machines showers , dryers nothing seems to last in a rental house for some reason !
    The list is endless !

Fully agree. I also spent 3 years as a tenant myself during last 10 years so know both sides before anyone passes judgement

Fully agree. I also spent 3 years as a tenant myself during last 10 years so know both sides before anyone passes judgement

The banks took them off me left me with residual, still did me a favour!

• Advertisement

The banks took them off me left me with residual, still did me a favour!

There were times during 2009-2010 that I thought the banks would take them.

The amount of times my properties were trashed by tenants was crazy and there was nothing I could do. My last tenant overheld by 2 months (which was lucky) and I had an arrogant Threshold agent threatening me with Legal Action was madness. In the end I refused to deal with them as I stated my contact was with Tenant and not them

Anyway it's done now and I'm in a great place financially and mentally so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Iodine1

Vacant possession... 6 months notice for tenant (plus another 2 for overholding)

So Vacancy (6+2) + Sale (4 months)

= Freedom from mental anguish and headaches

Thanks for sharing the info. Whole tenant landlord situ is farcical, in this country. If landlords were treated fairly, they would invest, making more properties available to tenants. But they are selling out instead, reducing the availability. This fact is lost on Threashold and the PRTB.

Advertisement