Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is an Out of Service bus supposed to be in bus lane or not?

• 04-03-2010 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Or allowed to be in both? Spotted this bus in both. Just to add, the driver skipped alot of traffic after going into the bus lane so it was beneficial to his/her journey.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A bus, in or out of service, is allowed use the bus lane or not use it as the driver sees fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Was curious MYOB as taxi's do have a rule applied to them and was wondering if buses had that too, that clears it up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I don't see any harm in busses not using designated lanes it as long as the driver isn't "hogging" up the road, in this case he seems to be "lamping" it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

gurramok wrote: »
    Or allowed to be in both? Spotted this bus in both. Just to add, the driver skipped alot of traffic after going into the bus lane so it was beneficial to his/her journey.

Asks the man who uses a phone while in control of a car;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Asks the man who uses a phone while in control of a car;)

How do you know its a phone, it could be something else? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Michael O'Leary doesn't run planes Out of Service, so one has to question the logic of a bus running a route but refusing to earn money.

Buses using ordinary traffic lanes while cars can't use bus lanes reminds me of a sign that was in the jax of my work place in the 90s:
    Please don't throw fag butts in the urinals. We don't piss in your ashtrays.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AFAIK, only buses on scheduled services are entitled to use a bus lane. Strictly speaking, private hire coaches shouldn't use them, although a blind eye tends to be turned, especially if the coach is full.

By using the traffic lane, the bus driver is showing people he is not in service and they won't be quite as disappointed when the bus doesn't stop.

By the way, why were you using the bus lane? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Look at that gob****e trying to get into the filter lane and blocking everyone else!!

Muppet!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Michael O'Leary doesn't run planes Out of Service, so one has to question the logic of a bus running a route but refusing to earn money.

Oddly enuf,Ryanair,in common with all airlines DO run aircraft out-of-service.
    Not surprisingly you are not aware of it as destination displays are somewhat useless at 20,000 ft.
    They call them positioning flights and whilst not something the airlines desire it is a regular feature of airline operations.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

JHMEG wrote: »
    A bus will get from A to B much faster if it doesn't have to stop every couple of hundred yards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Victor wrote: »
    AFAIK, only buses on scheduled services are entitled to use a bus lane. Strictly speaking, private hire coaches shouldn't use them, although a blind eye tends to be turned, especially if the coach is full.

I do not have the SI to hand, but the ROTR seem to take a different view.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-signs-road-markings/buses.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if its after the particular time everyone should be using the bus lane as the leftmost lane but that doesn't happen either.

Was behind a bus displaying "L" on the display yesterday running in on the N11 (7.10-7020pm). He was all over the place from bus lane to middle to outside and back again and again, was in a real hurry. Also had passengers on board so clearly not learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Buses using ordinary traffic lanes while cars can't use bus lanes reminds me of a sign that was in the jax of my work place in the 90s:

All forms of public transport have some dead running. If you didn't, then in order to comply with the working time directive on driver hours you would end up losing journeys or having to hire additional drivers at extra cost to ensure a complete timetable at times when there are generally sufficient alternatives.

For example take what were known as the "EURO" driver duties introduced in 1999, which have a 12 hour day with a gap in the middle. Typically, a driver will sign on in the depot between 06.00 and 07.30. He will then take a bus to the outer terminus of a route and then operate an inbound journey followed by a complete return journey (it could be more depending on the length of the route) before going on his break.

He will then restart in the early afternoon and probably do a return working from the city along with an outbound journey to the outer terminus and then return to the depot out of service no later than 12 hours after he started his day.

Most routes that these duties operate on are long enough that this is the only pattern possible, as there is not sufficient time for the bus to return in service so that the driver is inside the maximum hours available.

This pattern means that journeys are maximised in the direction of peak traffic flow.

It's principally the finishing part of these duties between 18.00 and 19.30 that people see operating inbound along the QBCs working empty to the depots. The empty workings for early morning starts and late night finishes to the regular shift duties are not so obvious as most people are in bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

KC61 wrote: »
    Most routes that these duties operate on are long enough that this is the only pattern possible, as there is not sufficient time for the bus to return in service so that the driver is inside the maximum hours available.
    Wasn't there a thing on Primetime a while back about drivers "timing" routes, ie running too fast or too slow to manipulate this, deliberately ending up in overtime or an Out-of-Service?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

Was behind a bus displaying "L" on the display yesterday running in on the N11 (7.10-7020pm). He was all over the place from bus lane to middle to outside and back again and again, was in a real hurry. Also had passengers on board so clearly not learning.

The passengers may not have been members of the public. I've seen L buses with several DB staff on-board, presumably for training purposes.
    I do not have the SI to hand, but the ROTR seem to take a different view.

The SI says:
    "bus lane" means a part of a road marked with the roadway markings referred to in article 3 of these Regulations, in which no class of vehicles is permitted other than omnibuses and classes of vehicles set out in bye-laws relating to the bus lane.

I can't find the by-laws mentioned though.

markpb wrote: »
    The passengers may not have been members of the public. I've seen L buses with several DB staff on-board, presumably for training purposes.

They clearly were.
    Young guy reading a book, young woman listening to her mp3, gazing out the window. both sitting on one of the back two rows downstairs, didn't see if there was anyone upstairs. type of dress they were wearing didn't look like any DB stuff either

Wasn't there a thing on Primetime a while back about drivers "timing" routes, ie running too fast or too slow to manipulate this, deliberately ending up in overtime or an Out-of-Service?

There were allegations of that, but if that were happening then you would have mass cancellations of scheduled bus journeys, which as someone who uses a very wide variety of bus routes every day (a minimum of four buses) I have to say does not happen in my experience to any great extent.

Every organisation has unfortunately some bad apples that will tarnish the reputation of those who do their job properly.

What I am referring to in my post above is the scheduled running time. For most of those EURO duties, it would be impossible to do two complete return journeys either side of the driver's break without going over the hours. Added to that the usefulness would be minimal as the extra journeys would not be in the direction of peak traffic flow, and there would generally be sufficient buses in service on the routes as it is.

There were allegations of that, but if that were happening then you would have mass cancellations of scheduled bus journeys, which as someone who uses a very wide variety of bus routes every day (a minimum of four buses) I have to say does not happen in my experience to any great extent.

buses never ever get cancelled in Dublin, they just fail to turn up. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

They clearly were.
    Young guy reading a book, young woman listening to her mp3, gazing out the window. both sitting on one of the back two rows downstairs, didn't see if there was anyone upstairs. type of dress they were wearing didn't look like any DB stuff either

Delays on the 84 again.
    I passed him on the main st.

SickCert wrote: »
    Delays on the 84 again.
    I passed him on the main st.

so its alright to run without stopping all the way to town, what about people who want to get from between Cabinteely and Donnybrook to anywhere from the side of the RDS/Herbert hotel onwards?

So delayed he caught up with another 84 at belfield :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think what was suggested was slightly different, and had to do with shorter breaks, not the long breaks. Drivers are supposed to get their breaks, the same as people in any other job where there are periods of intense concentration. Obviously this has to be timed into the timetable. If a driver is late going on his break (say, because of traffic congestion), he is obviously either going to have a shorter break, or else the whole timetable is going to be disturbed to facilitate him. So the agreement was that in exchange for accepting a shorter break, the driver would get an extra payment. This helped keep the timetable on-track.

Now, if a driver were to deliberately run late on the run before his break, or even if he were to report that he was late, it would mean that he would get an extra payment. The suggestion was that some drivers did this. I do not know if this was true.

If a driver were to do this, it would not have any direct impact on the customer, i.e., no services are cancelled.

By the way, it is considered acceptable for DB to cancel one bus in 50, i.e., if you take four buses a day, you should expect a service to be cancelled every 12 days or so.

By the way, it is considered acceptable for DB to cancel one bus in 50, i.e., if you take four buses a day, you should expect a service to be cancelled every 12 days or so.

:eek::eek::eek:
    1 in 50! Thats shockingly bad

so its alright to run without stopping all the way to town, what about people who want to get from between Cabinteely and Donnybrook to anywhere from the side of the RDS/Herbert hotel onwards?

So delayed he caught up with another 84 at belfield :rolleyes:

Didnt say it was alright, i said i spotted it on the main st.

There are cases where a controller will instruct the driver that is running late to operate out of service and set down passengers only in order to get the bus and the driver back on schedule.

These situations are generally though where there would be sufficient alternatives to take.

Didnt say it was alright, i said i spotted it on the main st.

not having a go at you at all. should have said "so DB think its alright..."

Now, if a driver were to deliberately run late on the run before his break, or even if he were to report that he was late, it would mean that he would get an extra payment. The suggestion was that some drivers did this. I do not know if this was true.

We lost the 1hr OT payment on the last round of cuts.

I think what was suggested was slightly different, and had to do with shorter breaks, not the long breaks. Drivers are supposed to get their breaks, the same as people in any other job where there are periods of intense concentration. Obviously this has to be timed into the timetable. If a driver is late going on his break (say, because of traffic congestion), he is obviously either going to have a shorter break, or else the whole timetable is going to be disturbed to facilitate him. So the agreement was that in exchange for accepting a shorter break, the driver would get an extra payment. This helped keep the timetable on-track.

If a driver were to do this, it would not have any direct impact on the customer, i.e., no services are cancelled.

Genuinely as someone who uses a very large number of buses every day of the week (probably more than most on this board), I don't suffer from this problem that much. It's usually only when traffic grinds to a standstill on very wet days.

I don't always take the same particular buses every day - I do switch around, and coming home I am taking buses mid-route. Having examined the timetable I came up with my own assessment of when the buses would arrive at my stop based on my knowledge of the route (there is a variety of routes from different termini), and by and large they have shown up when I would expect them to do so.

I could probably count the number of no-shows that I've experienced in the last year on one hand to be honest.

Certain routes suffered significantly from cancellations or late running due to the schedules - the 75 was one, but since the schedule was altered two years ago it has become very reliable. The city centre bus gate is having an effect on peak hour schedules with the 39 benefitting significantly apparently.

The problem is that a perception can build up due to bad experiences, and while in many cases the effects have been tackled, changing that perception is then a fundamentally difficult job.

not having a go at you at all. should have said "so DB think its alright..."

The running time on this route goes back to 2001, it can be a mess at peak times. Should have been sorted years ago.

The running time on this route goes back to 2001, it can be a mess at peak times. Should have been sorted years ago.

This *should* be tackled as part of the ongoing network review. If it isn't then, Houston, we have problems!

• Advertisement

This *should* be tackled as part of the ongoing network review. If it isn't then, Houston, we have problems!

Amen to both of those

Advertisement