Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Becoming a driving instructor

• 05-03-2006 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Anyone know whats involved in becoming a driving instructor in Ireland, am in early 50's hold full liscence for over 25 years and consider myself an excellent driver.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Your best bet is to contact existing driving instructors/instructor organisations (eg ism) to find out about this. I asked the IRTA about this at the bike show at the RDS last weekend too. For bikes you need a minimum Silver Advanced driving certificate (RoSPA) and then you pay circa €1000 to sit an instructors cource. This is approx 6 days and has several exams.

Things to note. You might consider yourself an excellent driver, but you aren't. Nobody is. You like everyone on the planet have a lot more to learn, especially as the roads, regulations, attitudes are constantly changing and being updated. Failing to recognise this fact should discount anyone from being an instructor because it instills in the learners an attitude that once they have passed their DoE test that they are sorted for life.

In being an instructor you not only have to be able to drive "correctly" you also have to be able to teach, demonstrate, communicate and coach other people who may have very varying abilities in all these aspects.

Of course you could just get a sign made up for the window of your car, stick an add in the local newsletter and take it from there......

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

nereid wrote:
    Of course you could just get a sign made up for the window of your car, stick an add in the local newsletter and take it from there......

L.

... and therein lies the whole crazy problem.

images-1.jpgimages.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

sim19 wrote:
    Anyone know whats involved in becoming a driving instructor in Ireland, am in early 50's hold full liscence for over 25 years and consider myself an excellent driver.

Bold italics above mine.

If you did the test tomorrow you would probably fail. Bad habits creep in. Do you always follow the rules of the road?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

esel wrote:
    Bold italics above mine.

If you did the test tomorrow you would probably fail. Bad habits creep in. Do you always follow the rules of the road?
    Yeah I would consider my father a good driver, but I have absolutely no doubt he would fail a test if he drove like he does now in it. There are lots of little tips you need to know and pass onto students.

And you should know all the rules of the road, not just the ones in the book. I was asked questions in my test that were not included in the rules of the road, I got them right but would have kicked up **** if I didn't and was asked them.

I also did manoueveurs (sp??!!) in my test that are not covered in the rules of the road and I am still not sure if they were legal, I still passed either way.

Advertisement