Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about a barometer..

• 15-01-2015 7:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I have a barometer in the house. It was originally my grandads, though has now become my possession. Now obviously it's not the most scientific, but it looks nice and reminds me of him. Just wondering, can anyone tell me what units it's measuring the pressure in? As it's old, was made in England, I was thinking it could be some old disused imperial measurement, though can't seem to find anything that comes close. The range on it is from 28 to 31, and the needle does seem to track changes in pressure good enough.

Pic of the device attached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭highdef

It is measuring in a very old imperial measurement no longer officially in use in this country but still in widespread use :p

But seriously, it is measuring in inches. You can convert the measurement in various ways but the easiest way is to either use an online inches to millibars calculator such as this - http://www.csgnetwork.com/pressinmbcvt.html

Or else you could print out a conversion table and keep it near the barometer for reference. Here is a site with such a conversion table - http://www.pcwp.com/mb_conversion.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hi lads, I have a barometer in the house. It was originally my grandads, though has now become my possession. Now obviously it's not the most scientific, but it looks nice and reminds me of him. Just wondering, can anyone tell me what units it's measuring the pressure in? As it's old, was made in England, I was thinking it could be some old disused imperial measurement, though can't seem to find anything that comes close. The range on it is from 28 to 31, and the needle does seem to track changes in pressure good enough.

Pic of the device attached.

that is a beaut, i have not seen that kind, i have one also, but it has a round face and the temp is underneat the clock face, i got mine at a flea market about 30 yrs ago, and it is going great,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

goat2 wrote: »
    that is a beaut, i have not seen that kind, i have one also, but it has a round face and the temp is underneat the clock face, i got mine at a flea market about 30 yrs ago, and it is going great,

Thanks! Can't give much info on mine, all I can say is it was my grandad's, was in the house as long as I can remember. You can see it too clearly on the picture, but there is a needle you can set at the current pressure, to see how the reading needle changes throughout the day.

Advertisement