Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Morning Commute Buddies

Options
  • 10-08-2020 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

I've become really close to this middle-aged man who drives a 171 Merc. It all started about a year ago, we'd cross paths on pretty much the same stretch of rural road every morning. At first we just ignored each other but as time went on I think we felt we must acknowledge each other as otherwise it would be the same 5 seconds of awkwardness every morning.

I caved first, I don't know what possessed me but I flicked up the index finger of the top of the steering wheel one morning, about 2 months in I reckon. He didn't reciprocate. I was devastated to say the least. Did he see it in time, did he just not want to get into anything or maybe he just didn't like the cut of my jib, or was it my car? Who knows.

The following morning would reveal all, low and behold I got not one finger but 4 off the top of the steering wheel, very nice of him, he clearly felt bad about the previous morning so I forgave him and duly 4 fingered him back. This went on for ages until the dreaded dark winter mornings came in. I still noticed him every morning as his Merc has very distinctive headlights. I felt a full-beam flash would be be too much and quite franky dangerous so we didn't make contact for quite a while. I won't lie, I missed him. He is a white collar worker while I'm blue so it was nice to break down barriers.

We continued around March but this didn't last long as he must have been working from home due to Covid19 and we would only meet on the road sporadically. In the last week he has returned and we've met every morning since, he looks happy to be back and I've got to say, it's great to have grey haired, suited up man in his 171 Merc back.

So, who or was your most memorable commuting buddy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

This is clearly a public alibi for when he suddenly disappears.

Sounds pretty gay..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't think I've ever met the same person twice, I definitely don't recognise them anyway.

I want a commuting buddy now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

I know a fella who would drive behind or in front of a fella every morning, theyd stop for coffee in the same garage and drive to work in offices beside each other just outside of dublin.

Eventually they got talking then to save money they would take turns driving.

On the first morning a car jolted into their lane infront of them and slammed on the brakes coming off a roundabout. There was a slight tap nothing exceptional but didnt yer man in the passenger have whiplash and nerve damage to his knee and wrist. 4 lads in the other car all injured.

Took 80 or so grand. The other 4 lads got paid as well.

After the court case was over and it got a bit settled yer man felt bad for falling out with his injured friend and decided to head over to his office one day to make friends again. It turned out he never worked there.

On further investigation he found that the guy learned the game from his uncle james and put the air to his name, jaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyymes bond, bond, james bond junior.

Advertisement