Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Contract - Saying we're a couple or single sign

• 07-08-2020 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Myself & girlfriend are 3 years living in Dublin. We've both good great references and are in contracted positions in work. We've got to move out the end of the month and have been searching on Daft.ie for properties in Dublin.

I've messaged about 10 landlords/agents on Daft that we've been interested in, but so far just 1 has responded. In some cases, the advertisements are up less than 24 hours before being removed.

I always mention that we are two people looking to share a double room. Do landlords prefer single tenants who'd rent a double over a couple? My logic was 2 people are less likely to lose both their jobs and default on payments, but I can see how they could think it might result in house being over-utilized.

I'm not averse to signing just myself but the missus likes to have some security of tenure too.

Any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think there has always been a general preference for singles in house shares.

Logic being, a couple is twice as many people for the same rent, twice as many people sharing the facilities, twice the number of people to fall out with. More potential for other housemates to feel uncomfortable sharing with a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Graham wrote: »
    I think there has always been a general preference for singles in house shares.

Thanks Graham - nice to get some feedback on this issue.

I'd agree that there's an increased usage of property resulting in wear and tear and potential the girlfriend will leave me for a strapping bodybuilder and I'l struggle to make rent which won't bode well with the landlord. We're only looking for 1 bed so no housemates.

If anyone else has similar sentiments please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

FionnK86 wrote:
    I'm not averse to signing just myself but the missus likes to have some security of tenure too.

Definitely don't sign by yourself. Your girlfriend is absolutely right to want her own security plus your landlord could be very against you having a regular 'guest', and would probably not allow a second key to be cut. They would rightly see it as a breach of the terms of your lease to have someone living there that is not named on the lease.

We rented a lot of 1bed places throughout the 00s, which was a very different market of course, but things that always got us the apartment we wanted were:

- ask when its available to view, then say you're available even sooner than that if they could facilitate you, mention that you've got the deposit ready to go

- bring cash to the viewing, whether you secure an advance viewing or not, when you meet the landlord express your interest, offer X hundred to hold the apartment until you can pay the balance of the deposit later that day - get a receipt for this of course

Good luck, but really, don't sign anywhere on your own unless your girlfriend isn't actually going to live there and pay rent.

Sorry FionnK86, when you said you were 2 people looking to share a double room I assumed you were talking about a house-share arrangement.

As that's not right, most of my previous comments don't apply.

Sorry FionnK86, when you said you were 2 people looking to share a double room I assumed you were talking about a house-share arrangement.
    [HTML][/HTML]
    As that's not right, most of my previous comments don't apply.

No bother Graham, I should've been more explicit.

• Advertisement

One bedroom apartments, particularly around major cities are always going to be ultra-competitive for the simple reasons there aren't many of them.

You need to be first in, best-presented and do everything you can to make is easy for a landlord to pick you.

One bedroom apartments, particularly around major cities are always going to be ultra-competitive for the simple reasons there aren't many of them.

You need to be first in, best-presented and do everything you can to make is easy for a landlord to pick you.

Cheers, yes I remember about 3 years ago I went for a 1 bed and a 2 bed house. Each viewing for 1 bed had about 30 couples all viewing at same time, and agents were doing a 3-stage process.

Plenty of 2 beds I viewed where we were the only people viewing.

I was hoping with Covid there would be less people looking, but I've already seen about 9 houses go onto Daft and were down within 3 hours - I'm presuming the competition got onto them with an impressive message and good salary.

Getting scared now, 1/3 of August gone and only 1 viewing done and searching since mid-July. Working from home so it's not just a home, it's my job. Going to get a haircut, nice shirt and have all the documents and holding deposit and try and cut off the competition quickly.

Maybe try to pre-empt as many of the typical landlord questions in your initial contact.

working couple, good salaries, great references, deposit ready, clean, reliable, viewing at the earliest opportunity etc etc etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Interesting to hear this! Ive been keeping an idle eye on dublin central rentals and there seems to be lots of them and the prices are dropping. It doesnt look like there is high demand based on the daft.ie ads, although i appreciate that that isnt exactly a scientific analaysis!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Plenty of 2 beds I viewed where we were the only people viewing.
    If WFH, I would've thought a two bed would be ideal? Or did you just fail to get it? I assume you brought the deposit with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Going back to the OPs post, do you say you are two people looking to share a double room or do you say you are a couple looking to rent a place together?

The first sounds dodgy. And I wouldn’t show you an apartment if it sounded like 2 individuals looks to share a bed. All depends how you phrase it. Just say who you are, that you’ve perm contracts, are on x and would be very interested in viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

Hi OP

I know the struggles and it's frustrating at the best of times. Which is why myself and partner moved in with a parent and decided to save instead. It wasn't worth the hassel anymore.

All I can say is.... Sell yourself. I've read a previous thread before that mentioning you work from home isnt ideal as apparently it's a health and safety issue? I'm not sure which sort of work that was in regards too but I would presume laptop work wouldn't count. But again, maybe refrain from that and still mention you're in office that might ease the landlord onto thinking your job is secure and you still attend (correct me if I'm wrong).

Honestly the competition out there is ridiculous to the point where it feels like it's a job interview and you're nearly paying the landlord to let you have the accommodation before you even live there. It's scary.

Would you be willing to go outside Dublin or the the cost of travelling not worth it or pretty much the same? Either ways you shouldn't have to feel you have to go further than you want too so you're right to stick to what and where you know.

I wrote a couple of emails before to landlords and I remember nearly giving my life details away just to try and secure somewhere. Some places weren't even worth the lenghtly email but anyways. You could write where both yourself and girlfriend work and how long you're there, no children I would presume. The hours you work to show you earn a decent wage in the feild you work in. How much of a deposit you have and say you're willing to pay upfront. Pretty much, begging.

That's all you can do. Landlords aren't interested in hearing about someone else's landlord selling their rental accommodation. They don't care if you've 5 minutes or 5 weeks to find somewhere. They just want to find someone who is willing to pay a ridiculous amount and could potentially move within a year so they can find someone else.

Good luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

All of above is right as above poster said - maybe expand your search options especially if you are WFH. Also maybe be clearer in your description about being a couple looking for a one bed or two bed home.

Be ready to go with your documentation - have it ready to send.

I moved about a month ago and I found mentioning working from home a little bug bear with agents and LLs - kind of turned them off. Dont mention it unless they ask.

Be clear though in your contact to them - sell yourself and your partner. Best of luck. Took me about 3 weeks to find somewhere. You will too.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Definitely don't sign by yourself. Your girlfriend is absolutely right to want her own security plus your landlord could be very against you having a regular 'guest', and would probably not allow a second key to be cut. They would rightly see it as a breach of the terms of your lease to have someone living there that is not named on the lease.

We rented a lot of 1bed places throughout the 00s, which was a very different market of course, but things that always got us the apartment we wanted were:

- ask when its available to view, then say you're available even sooner than that if they could facilitate you, mention that you've got the deposit ready to go

- bring cash to the viewing, whether you secure an advance viewing or not, when you meet the landlord express your interest, offer X hundred to hold the apartment until you can pay the balance of the deposit later that day - get a receipt for this of course

Good luck, but really, don't sign anywhere on your own unless your girlfriend isn't actually going to live there and pay rent.

woah do not bring cash to a viewing and offer x hundred to hold the apartment. Speaking only of my experience of moving recently noone takes cash anymore especially with Cov19 restrictions. Have your deposit ready for sure but bank transfer is fine.

Maybe pre Cov19 this was ok but nope not now. Viewing were very strict when I was doing them - for the Health & Safety of everyone. If they are not safe walk away.

oh and make sure to set up email alerts for new properties when they come online. You need to be the first to contact them...not the 20th.

Get your profile ready - have your references ready (if they are) and say that. Make sure you have everything ready to be emailed if required. If you have the rent and deposit ready mention that

There are lot of Facebook groups out there aswell. I joined some but personally I found them full of scams.

Just look at it like a work project - be first to apply and have everything ready electronically (I had a little pack in case anyone needed it- an electronic one)

Hi folks,

Just update & reply to your feedback if you're interested!
    1. I've arranged 2 viewings, 1 tomorrow & 1 Sunday.
    2. Both are private landlords, no agencies.
    3. I've left 5 email requests with agencies for viewings, 3/5 this past weekend.
    4. No agency replies yet, I presume they're looking for a 'critical mass'.
    5. Our own house had viewing Saturday with 5 people in with 1336 views.
    6. Some houses I've looked at have had 400 views over a week, were some that've gone up today already have 1000. Seems to be correlation by how close they are to the city centre

Graham

I've stated were couple, 3 years tenancy with very good ref. from LL received Friday. Good salary stated with letters from work. Only issue is sending them over Daft.ie, you can't attach references. It's pretty hard to sell yourself using just the message box, trying just to get a viewing. Got the haircut and will have the shiny shoes polished. ;)

the_syco

The 2 beds I was referring to in post #8 was when I looked 3-years ago. Just looking for 1 double-bedroom now. If we can find a 2 bed for same price as a 1 double-bedroom we'd take it.

Baby01032012
    Yes, in OP I say we're a couple looking to rent a place together.

Febreeze

I'd love to move in with mam & dad in Kildare if the internet was quick enough to support my network and the missus could sit in traffic for an hour each way everyday. I purposely chose Dublin as I don't like the traffic and to be perfectly honest, the extra two hours I spend each day in work, I've earned three pretty good promotions from it over the last 3 years, just by being able to finish up the work I'm assigned and being very organised.

Work carries out a safety audit of each house, but it's just laptop work. I'd say we'll be working from home for foreseeable future. Work have given us May 2021, if there's a vaccine by then!

It's funny, since I started WFH, the house has been the cleanest it's ever been. I even powerwashed and sanded the driveway. The landlord is raging I'm leaving. But even so I'll avoid to mention.

gauchesnell

As above, I won't mention it unless asked specifically. I just changed my email for viewing tuesday so to state clearly it's 2 partners looking for a house. The missus is a nurse and said same thing about cash. What I'm confused about is setting up a payee to receive a same-day transfer. You can't go into banks anymore and I'm KBC so no local bank anyway. All you can really do is show them you sending money and they've to hope you don't ring the bank after they hand you the keys.

I've got the emails going since 2 weeks ago and they've been great. I wish Daft had option to add facilities to notifications. I'm only looking for gaff with parking and have a mini-pack for landlord but the main issue is getting the foot in the door for the viewing.

dont get caught up with the number of views you see on properties online. People view properties multiple times. Some say thousands of views. Doesnt matter. LLs and Agents keep ads up even though the place can already be rented. Just be first to reply if possible.

Do not mention any safety audit from work ok - just my advice.

Best of luck with the viewings. The more you view the more you will get to know what people are looking for and what you want. Dont worry about attaching anything to daft. Mention it in your response that they are available. The thing is to respond quickly to any ad that you are interested in.

Not sure what you mean by same day transfer and banks are still open. I paid my deposit and first months rent to the agent - by bank transfer. Very quick and easy. You can do it in a bank if you need to. My keys werent handed over until deposit and rent paid and lease signed. All done electronically aswell.

5 people viewing a house is normal...on the low side really. Views mean nothing. If you see a property you need to respond fast that is the main thing.

Dont worry about responses from agents either - mostly I didnt find them good. It is disheartening but normal.

As people wear masks now some of the first impression stuff is gone - no hand shakes or seeking your face etc....depending on the property the LL or agent may not accompany you into the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

FionnK86 wrote: »
    the_syco

The 2 beds I was referring to in post #8 was when I looked 3-years ago. Just looking for 1 double-bedroom now. If we can find a 2 bed for same price as a 1 double-bedroom we'd take it.
    When you say
    "1 double-bedroom"
    do you mean a 1-bed apartment
    or do you mean
    "a double-bed in a house share"

Most places either state no couples, or just don't pick couples. And in the ever shrinking market, the person renting the place can be picky. Have lived with couples, and although it can be grand, if it goes south you have two annoyances to deal with rather than one.

dont get caught up with the number of views you see on properties online. People view properties multiple times. Some say thousands of views. Doesnt matter. LLs and Agents keep ads up even though the place can already be rented. Just be first to reply if possible.

Do not mention any safety audit from work ok - just my advice.

Best of luck with the viewings. The more you view the more you will get to know what people are looking for and what you want. Dont worry about attaching anything to daft. Mention it in your response that they are available. The thing is to respond quickly to any ad that you are interested in.

Not sure what you mean by same day transfer and banks are still open. I paid my deposit and first months rent to the agent - by bank transfer. Very quick and easy. You can do it in a bank if you need to. My keys werent handed over until deposit and rent paid and lease signed. All done electronically aswell.

5 people viewing a house is normal...on the low side really. Views mean nothing. If you see a property you need to respond fast that is the main thing.

Dont worry about responses from agents either - mostly I didnt find them good. It is disheartening but normal.

As people wear masks now some of the first impression stuff is gone - no hand shakes or seeking your face etc....depending on the property the LL or agent may not accompany you into the property.

I'm very disappointed by responses from agents. There have been 3 lovely places for great value that I've contacted agents over with references from work & landlord, latest bill for POA, photo ID and latest payslip, but not a single email reply.

The viewing Tuesday wasn't for us. Although apartment itself was nice, the area was rough and LL seemed a bit concerned about security. Plus, my boss had a mate who'd bought apartment in same complex. Apparently, he's paying mortgage for apartment there but has moved out because of the noise and hasn't found a tenant to stay more than a month. Tried doing some digging in forum for local area but nobody living in that specific block.

I've another place Sunday which looks promising. If we're stuck we might have the one from Tuesday, though LL said he'd 20 people viewing and he'd pick someone by today.

When you paid by transfer, did it arrive in their account the same day? I've sent payments using IBAN often and it can be next day, so next day for keys which isn't ideal.

3 viewings in 3 weeks isn't what I was hoping for.

agents are like that. Dont take it to heart. There is one agent and one agency who is very well known for being absolutely useless. Dont take the one from Tuesday - doesnt sound like you are at all interested.

Yes the money was paid into their account the same day but I didnt collect the keys for a few days. I signed my lease on the 1st and didnt move in into the 9th or 10th I think. Not sure why this is an issue. Any agent or LL will need to vet you i.e. call your references etc before you can get keys. My previous LL took about a week before he returned their call even though i had a written reference already.

Maybe I missed something do you have to be out by a certain date.

Hopefully have come online this morning.

• Advertisement

Found house today after c. 3 weeks of searching. Meeting LL possibly Friday.

congrats...took me 3 weeks too. Well done

Advertisement