Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

August 2020 Boards weather forecast contest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

Surely today will set a few targets

Had 9mm in Sligo overnight but officially Malin Head has 13mm so far today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm probably too late to enter but here's my guess anyway!

Gonzo___________ 15.9 _ 27.4 _ 3.4 _ 65 _ 123 ___ 37mm Dunsany 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

You can certainly enter, there would be a fairly hefty late penalty for a regular participant entering this late, but I will score yours and we'll see what happens next, it can't affect the outcome of the annual contest in any way as you've only entered a couple (IIRC).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Bonus Question highest daily rainfall total. 37mm at Malin Head on the 4th.
    MAX at 24.1°C at Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

Super Bonus. Shannon 5.6. Valentia 7.6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭appledrop

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Bonus Question highest daily rainfall total. 37mm at Malin Head on the 4th.
    MAX at 24.1°C at Phoenix Park.

Wow that's a lot of rainfall for one day + its only the 4th August!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Gotta be a good contender in there somewhere for today. Biblical stuff fell around athlone this morning. My poor gazebo weathered the wind no bother, but the rain last night and this morning wrecked it

22mm in Shannon and 21mm Roches Point.

Maybe

1.Malin Head 37mm 4th Aug
    2. Valentia 19.4mm 5th Aug
    3. Roches Point 17.8mm 5th Aug

Super Bonus Mace Head 5.3

Okay super bonus is usually given out when there are two elements and somebody has full points in one and either full points or one less than full in the other element. I haven't applied superbonus to three elements before, so here is how it will work:

2 points superbonus for anyone who manages full points in 2/3 regardless of outcome in third element, or anyone who manages full points in one and then one short in the other two categories.

1 point superbonus will go to anyone who does no worse than one short of full points in all three.

And for scoring this, I will give 10 points for amount, 5 for date and 5 for location, add them up, divide by two, rounding up where needed. So in practical terms, to be on track for superbonus you will need to finish in the top six for your rainfall amount and in the top 12 for your date and location (top 3, 6 and 6 to get full points, 4-6, 7-12, 7-12 earning one fewer than full).

There will be one superbonus point awarded to high score if nobody meets any of those criteria otherwise, and one superbonus will go to anyone who runs up a higher score than anyone who does qualify for one superbonus.

Therefore, not sure what was being tracked in some of the earlier posts, but all we need to track now would be any rainfalls higher than the three highest so far, which are

37.0 Malin Head (4th)

19.4 Valentia (5th)

17.8 Roches Point (5th)

• Advertisement

I have been recording the actual rainfall for the date/location for each player. Just for interest. Not meant for scoring. Sorry for confusion.

MAX now 25.0°C at Phoenix Park on the 7th
    MIN now 4.4°C at Athenry also on the 7th.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    MAX now 25.0°C at Phoenix Park on the 7th
    MIN now 4.4°C at Athenry also on the 7th.

Both will be beaten probably.

After the first week ...

IMT on 15.5 which is normal for the interval of 1-7 Aug.

MAX 25.0, MIN 4.4

PRC 128% of normal.

SUN 88% of normal (528/600).

Max 24h rain data in previous posts, 37 mm the highest so far. (Malin Head, 4th)

New MAX 25.1°c recorded at Oak Park on the 12th

Will the Max be beaten in the next few days. Our Bonus could be called into question again over the next week with Cork Airport already on 27mm of rain today, 13th.

Keep a close eye on developments as I am almost on holiday (visiting family, yada yada). I may not see everything I try to monitor daily this weekend. Easy enough to check back but with your help it's a lot easier. Cork will probably move into second place in the rainfall table, not sure if any other location would take third. Maybe after Saturday all will change?

Yesterday

Sherkin 35.6mm
    Cork 28.1mm

Oak Park again got up to max of 25.1 on 13th Aug.

Somewhere will surely top that today.

Max at 25.2°C Markee Castle 14th.

• Advertisement

New Max, Markree Castle 25.2 14th Aug.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that temperature max of 25.2 is going to be tough to beat now as we are cooling down and a very autumnal second half of August is possible.

Just have enough time to do this before heading out for the day ...

Second week update.

The IMT has reached a toasty 16.3 with the second week average 17.0 which was 1.6 above normal. High point likely to come soon, may calculate that daily for a while to check it out.

MAX and MIN as per previous reports in the thread, 25.2 I believe is the MAX and our MIN so far is almost certain to be outdone later.

PRC has fallen to 82% of normal, the second week was essentially dry in the northern and central counties, and near normal in the south, blending to 40% of normal overall.

SUN has reached 101% as the second week average was 114% (688/600).

I will update the bonus 24h rainfall standings later in the week as I expect a few contenders to show up but it looks like Malin Head, Cork and Sherkin are currently top three.

Was 25c in Mount Dillon and 26.1c in back yard in Sligo but think Markree might have got 25c again. It was roasting here again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭John mac

25.2° again at Markee for 15th

edit 24.2....

John mac wrote: »
    25.2° again at Markee for 15th

Looks like it was 25.2 at Mount Dillion yesterday rather than Markee.

Change to rainfall max:

1. Malin Head 37mm 4th Aug
    2. Sherkin 35.6mm 13th Aug
    3. Valentina 32.6mm 15th Aug

Looks like the rainfall table could be busy in the coming days

Some notable rainfall totals for the 17th but does not make the top 3 for this month.
    Moorepark 30.4mm
    Shannon 26.7mm

• Advertisement

You have to admit, I chose a good bonus question this month.

Advertisement