Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Fees

• 19-04-2020 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Looking for some advice.

I’m 23, I’ve finished a level 8 degree and want to further my education to improve my career path and future job opportunities. I currently work as a full time physiotherapy assistant and want to progress to become a physio myself. I’ve been invited to enroll in my dream course after a successful interview. The course is a 3 year level 8 course. The total cost over 3 years is €25k. Now most Irish banks only offer 5 year student loans, and can defer the first year of payments. Does anyone know if there’s any banks that do 7-10 year student loans or flexible loan options that allow for flexible repayments. I’ve done a lot of research into this and it seems like Ireland is way behind the UK with regards to how students pay their college loans. There’s an acceptance that we Irish people just have to look to our parents for assistance during our college years (something I cannot do as I only have 1 parent who is a widow looking after 7 kids). The UK allows for people to pay back their college fees after they’ve graduated by deducting amounts from their pay when they’re more able to actually pay these large monthly sums of money. In my case, the only option I see is deferring the first year of repayments and paying €550 a month in loan fees for 4 years (2 years I’ll be in college) while only working weekends part time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

unicorn97 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice.

I’m 23, I’ve finished a level 8 degree and want to further my education to improve my career path and future job opportunities. I currently work as a full time physiotherapy assistant and want to progress to become a physio myself. I’ve been invited to enroll in my dream course after a successful interview. The course is a 3 year level 8 course. The total cost over 3 years is €25k. Now most Irish banks only offer 5 year student loans, and can defer the first year of payments. Does anyone know if there’s any banks that do 7-10 year student loans or flexible loan options that allow for flexible repayments. I’ve done a lot of research into this and it seems like Ireland is way behind the UK with regards to how students pay their college loans. There’s an acceptance that we Irish people just have to look to our parents for assistance during our college years (something I cannot do as I only have 1 parent who is a widow looking after 7 kids). The UK allows for people to pay back their college fees after they’ve graduated by deducting amounts from their pay when they’re more able to actually pay these large monthly sums of money. In my case, the only option I see is deferring the first year of repayments and paying €550 a month in loan fees for 4 years (2 years I’ll be in college) while only working weekends part time.
    You could try the credit union? Sorry, can't be more helpful.

Can I ask what your degree is and can you give me info on your job, it's something I'm interested in, but there's not many roles advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

In the UK you can only get a student loan for your first degree anyway, so what you are saying doesn't make any sense anyway. There are, however, certain exceptions; physiotherapy may fall into them - why not use Google to see if it does and apply to somewhere in the UK. I believe this may be the last year EU citizens can do so.

The Irish system is much better than the UK loans system regardless.

Advertisement