Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Silage 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

Reggie. wrote: »
    Thats the one. Streamstown direction
    If the ground he was mowing yesterday is being rented by the same man that has it rented the last number of years tell him to be very careful. There’s a reason that man is now getting contractors from near 30 miles away. Everyone closer to him has already been caught at some stage, including myself 7 years ago. I’d be advising him to look for his money now before there’s a blade of grass picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

DBK1 wrote: »
    If the ground he was mowing yesterday is being rented by the same man that has it rented the last number of years tell him to be very careful. There’s a reason that man is now getting contractors from near 30 miles away. Everyone closer to him has already been caught at some stage, including myself 7 years ago. I’d be advising him to look for his money now before there’s a blade of grass picked.
    Think he is only mowing thats all. Its being baled

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Thats the one. Streamstown direction

bigger Jag or Big M?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

bigger Jag or Big M?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

One thing i never had customers that did not pay i had one that went into the property market during the tigger years the bank nearly pulled everything from him so he came to me a good customer worked out a deal ,it took a couple of years to clear and he is back good again. You always know a chancer he could see you working in a field come into you saying you have a great set up ask them then where there from take there number say you get back to them.

• Advertisement

;)
    A fine harvestor Seemed to be giving him a little bit of trouble this eve but I’d say it’s his first day out with it?

Fred Daly wrote: »
    One thing i never had customers that did not pay i had one that went into the property market during the tigger years the bank nearly pulled everything from him so he came to me a good customer worked out a deal ,it took a couple of years to clear and he is back good again. You always know a chancer he could see you working in a field come into you saying you have a great set up ask them then where there from take there number say you get back to them.
    In all the years I’m at it there’s only 2 I got caught with. About €3,500 between them. That man I’m warning Reggie about got me for about €1,500. But from talking to other contractors around I seem to have got away light compared to a lot of them.

He done work on his yard last winter and the ready-mix came from over 25 miles away despite there being 4 ready-mix suppliers within an 8 or 10 mile radius of him. They’ve all been caught with him at some stage over the years. He really is the lowest of the low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭endainoz

In all the years I’m at it there’s only 2 I got caught with. About €3,500 between them. That man I’m warning Reggie about got me for about €1,500. But from talking to other contractors around I seem to have got away light compared to a lot of them.

He done work on his yard last winter and the ready-mix came from over 25 miles away despite there being 4 ready-mix suppliers within an 8 or 10 mile radius of him. They’ve all been caught with him at some stage over the years. He really is the lowest of the low.

I can never understand how people get by like this, eventually you run out of bridges to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

endainoz wrote: »
    I can never understand how people get by like this, eventually you run out of bridges to burn.

Agree 100%. However there's a lad like that locally here. He did all of that for 25 years before getting stumped. Now all suppliers demand payment in advance.
    I pay on the day 95% of the time. Turns out he is actually only in the same boat as me after 25 years and actually not any worse off. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

That is a lot of money touch wood never got caught like that some lads might be slow but you get it within the year. There is lads like him in every parish in Ireland if you can see them coming you are okay but if not they could get you in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

endainoz wrote: »

Apparently that’s what happened with the guy with the dead calves earlier in the week

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Grueller wrote: »
    Agree 100%. However there's a lad like that locally here. He did all of that for 25 years before getting stumped. Now all suppliers demand payment in advance.
    I pay on the day 95% of the time. Turns out he is actually only in the same boat as me after 25 years and actually not any worse off. Go figure.

The key difference is that you can deal with anyone, go anywhere and answer the phone without checking who the caller is. Granted the man in question might not care about meeting his creditor's but you obviously do. I've seen plenty of lad's who couldn't answer the phone to any number they didn't know, sent the wife or children to the door to tell the caller he wasn't home ect. It's one thing to owe it to the bank or similar but it's a desperate mean act to owe it to a private individual or business. None of the banks employees go without over bad debt but it's different in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Sami23

With growth so poor yields will be very poor in 1st cuts this year :(
    No sign of any temperature increases in forecast either unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Is the problem the soil temp.? We'd a good cover at the start of April and was looking forward to getting it cut 3rd week in May. Growth has been shocking the last month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Sami23 wrote: »
    With growth so poor yields will be very poor in 1st cuts this year :(
    No sign of any temperature increases in forecast either unfortunately

Don't think so. Went looking at mine recently and anything that hadn't been grazed is flying it and on target nearly, anything that was grazed.... different story but im out of bales so im planning on making high quality bales on those paddocks and feeding them through the summer to keep fat up.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭dmakc

If I put out 100 units of N at April 1st, will 2N/day be used up regardless of weather, or will it depend on temps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

dmakc wrote: »
    If I put out 100 units of N at April 1st, will 2N/day be used up regardless of weather, or will it depend on temps?

Depends more on temp/growth

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I had a similar thoughts - I did about the same as you. Looking at the silage today, unless it makes a major burst in the next 3 weeks I will push my date on a bit. Will also get it tested in the coop. It’s free down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

Are lads going to push there cutting date back a bit this year considering growth is so poor or just take a smaller cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

Sugarbowl wrote:
    I had a similar thoughts - I did about the same as you. Looking at the silage today, unless it makes a major burst in the next 3 weeks I will push my date on a bit. Will also get it tested in the coop. It’s free down here.

What involved in getting in tested & how long for results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

mengele wrote: »
    Are lads going to push there cutting date back a bit this year considering growth is so poor or just take a smaller cut?

I was late putting out the bag this year, 3 weeks later than last year, depending on how the growth is over the next month i'll probably aim to cut around the 1st week of June as planned, i have nearly 100 bales left from last year which will make up for a poorer yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭dmakc

How far behind 60 units would fertiliser spread 30 days ago be due to our cold spring? I'm just wary of having nitrogen in the silage when I plan to cut late May.

I had wrongly thought it uses 2N/day regardless of weather and it would be finished after 50 days. This delay complicates matters a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

How far behind 60 units would fertiliser spread 30 days ago be due to our cold spring? I'm just wary of having nitrogen in the silage when I plan to cut late May.

I had wrongly thought it uses 2N/day regardless of weather and it would be finished after 50 days. This delay complicates matters a bit

Get it tested, bring a small freezer bag full of grass into coop and they should be able to test for you, my coop tests mine every year for free and i usually have results within 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mengele wrote: »

I'll still cut milker high quality stuff in mid May once weather conditions allow. 1st cuts well back, but due to the dry weather I didn't get more than 70units N (I had planned on splitting the fert on silage ground), so that works out perfect for a mid may cut still. Rest the 1st cut only getting its extra nitrogen now and will be cut as a bulky drycow feed in mid June, whenever weather allows.

I'll probably buy in likes of 15ac 1st cut ground now also, as an insurance policy against a dry June/July. Around here 2nd cuts are a pure lottery and cannot be depended on, and the window for good 1st cuts is closing fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Is the problem the soil temp.? We'd a good cover at the start of April and was looking forward to getting it cut 3rd week in May. Growth has been shocking the last month

Ground temp is the complete problem at present. We are about 2 degrees C below normal ground temp. This is exasperated by the fact that for April ground temps are below 12C for April. When ground exceed 12C grass growth is not impacted as much by day time temp.

Its an average 2 units a day in normal conditions. I imagine at present grass is only using a bit with a unit of N every day. Growth is brutal. tips of grass is Black in places this is the N at the tip of the leaf burning it. That is not a problem but it just indicates that grass is still not using up N in ground. In very good growth conditions grass will use up on 3 units/day. What is worse at present we can see no growth period of weather coming

Slava Ukrainii

Any quotes for wrap. Got quoted 85/tool for silawrap. Bought it last year for 77 I think

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Any quotes for wrap. Got quoted 85/tool for silawrap. Bought it last year for 77 I think

With the way all prices seem to be rising week on week, it might be better to buy sooner than later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭green daries

The frost also Robs a percentage of the nitrogen from grass the more frost the less nitrogen available

• Registered Users Posts: 13,221 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Had aimed for a cut on May 20th but can't see that happening now.

Will likely give another week.

• Advertisement

With the way all prices seem to be rising week on week, it might be better to buy sooner than later

TBH that was why I was pricing early this year. Bought it at 84/ roll this morning that was paying for it as well. Not sure if I am doing right or wrong. We have a similar type of scare me very year. It often wrong to commit too early. Co-op's seem to have a lot bought so it may well be the wrong decision. There was no budging on pric e below a certain level. I bought the complete year's supply.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement