Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FAQ & resources for your driver's licence

• 05-03-2020 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭

FAQ & Resources

The following FAQ is designed primarily for Irish learner drivers in Category B (cars), although some information may be useful to learners in other categories.
    1. I want to learn to drive. Where do I start?
    2. How do I get my first learner permit?
    3. My provisional licence or learner permit has expired or is about to expire. How do I renew it?
    4. What should I do if my learner permit has been lost or stolen?
    5. Do I need insurance?
    6. How do I find a driving instructor?
    7. Do I have to be accompanied when driving on a learner permit?
    8. Can I use my Irish learner permit to drive internationally?
    9. What other rules or restrictions apply to learner drivers?
    10. What requirements do I have to fulfill before I can sit my driving test?
    11. Can I do my driving test in an automatic?
    12. My test date is coming up. How do I prepare my car and myself for the test?
    13. What happens if I have to cancel my driving test?
    14. On test day, what technical checks might I be asked to demonstrate?
    15. Will the tester ask me questions about the Rules of the Road and road signs?
    16. How is the driving test marked?
    17. What happens if I fail the test?
    18. What happens if I pass the test?
    19. I passed my Category B test. What other categories am I entitled to have on my full licence?

1. I want to learn to drive. Where do I start?

You must start by passing a theory test to ensure that you are aware of general road safety knowledge and motoring legislation. You must pass your theory test before you can apply for a learner permit. To book your theory test online, go to TheoryTest.ie.

The official theory test book and CD-ROM are available from the TheoryTest.ie website or from most good bookshops. These study materials contain all possible questions that could appear on your test. If you are using a secondhand book or CD-ROM, make sure you have the current edition; otherwise, questions may appear on your test that you have not studied!

On the day of your theory test, you must bring proof of identification (passport, Garda National Age Card, student ID card, etc.) to the theory test centre, along with two identical passport-sized photographs.

The theory test consists of 40 multiple-choice questions and is taken on a computer. You must complete the test within 45 minutes, although you may apply for extra time if you have a documented learning difficulty. You must get at least 35 questions correct to pass. If you are successful, you will receive a theory test certificate that is valid for two years. If you are unsuccessful, you must wait at least three full working days before sitting your theory test again.

There is no minimum age for sitting the theory test. You could take the theory test at age 15 and then use the theory test certificate to apply for a Category B learner permit when you reach the age of 17.

2. How do I get my first learner permit?

To apply for a Category B learner permit, you must be at least 17 years old, be ordinarily resident in the Republic of Ireland, hold a current theory test certificate, and have had an eyesight report form (Form D.502) completed by an optician or doctor not more than one month before submitting your application.

You can get a learner permit application form (Form D.201) from your local Motor Tax Office, Garda Station, Citizens Information Centre, or public library. Alternatively, visit this webpage to request a form by post. (You cannot download and print Form D.201 because it contains adhesive labels.)

Take (or post) the completed application form to your local Motor Tax Office, along with:
    • A birth certificate or passport (originals or certified copies; photocopies not accepted)
    • An eyesight report form completed by an optician or doctor within the past month
    • Your original theory test certificate
    • Two identical passport-sized photographs, both signed on the back
    • The application fee (cheque or postal order required if applying by post; cash accepted if applying in person)
    If you are over 70 years old, suffer from a disability or disease that may affect your ability to drive, and/or take drugs or medication that could impair your ability to drive safely, you will also have to submit a medical report form (Form D.501) completed by a registered medical practitioner.

In most cases, your learner permit will be posted out to you within a few days.

3. My provisional licence or learner permit has expired or is about to expire. How do I renew it?

You may renew your provisional licence or learner permit at any time before it expires, or up to five years after it expires. If applying for your second learner permit, you must provide the following to your Motor Tax Office:
    • A completed learner permit application form
    • Your most recent provisional licence or learner permit
    • Two identical passport-sized photographs, both signed on the back
    • The application fee
    If applying for your third or subsequent learner permit, you must, in addition to the above, provide either (a) a Certificate of Failure showing that you sat the driving test within the previous two years, in which case your learner permit will be renewed for two years; or (b) a confirmation or appointment letter from the RSA showing that you have applied to sit the driving test, in which case your learner permit will be renewed for one year.

If your provisional licence or learner permit has been expired for longer than five years, you cannot renew it. You will be treated as a first-time applicant, meaning that you have to begin the process anew with the theory test.

4. What should I do if my learner permit has been lost or stolen?

If your learner permit is still current, you must complete a lost or stolen licence declaration (Form D.800) at your local Garda Station. The form will be signed and stamped by a Garda, and must be submitted with your application for a replacement learner permit.

If your learner permit or provisional licence has expired, you must complete a lost or stolen expired licence declaration (Form D8.A) at your local Garda Station. The form will be signed and stamped by a Garda, and must be submitted with your renewal application.

5. Do I need insurance?

Yes. Irish law requires every driver to have at least third-party insurance coverage to drive on a public road. When driving an instructor's car, you are insured under the instructor's policy. If the vehicle is owned and driven primarily by someone else (such as a relative or friend) you may be listed as a named driver on that person's policy. If you have your own car, you will have to take out your own policy. Insurance can be one of the biggest expenses in learning to drive, and prices vary widely among companies, so it pays to shop around for quotations.

6. How do I find a driving instructor?

The Irish driving instruction industry is regulated by the Road Safety Authority. Since 1 May 2009, only instructors who have been approved and certified by the RSA (known as Approved Driving Instructors or ADIs) may legally advertise or give driving lessons for reward. Each ADI has completed a comprehensive course of training in driving instruction and has passed a Garda background check. Every ADI carries an official identification card, which you are entitled to inspect upon request.

The RSA maintains a national register of ADIs, which you can use to locate driving instructors in your area. You may also find driving instructors listed in the Yellow Pages or advertising in local newspapers. If friends or relatives have recently taken driving lessons, ask about their experiences with different instructors. Consider whether you might prefer a male or female instructor. If you consider yourself to be a timid or nervous driver, ask about the instructor's experience with such pupils. Always take a trial lesson before block-booking lessons; that way, if you don't like the instructor's personality or approach, you won't have to seek a refund.

If an unapproved instructor offers you driving lessons for reward, you should report him or her to the RSA (email adienforcement@rsa.ie) or to the Gardaí.

7. Do I have to be accompanied while driving on a learner permit?

Yes. Since 30 June 2008, all Category B learner drivers (including holders of second learner permits) must be accompanied at all times while driving on public roads. Your accompanying driver must have held a full driving licence from Ireland or another EU/EEA member state for at least two years. Someone who holds a full but restricted licence (e.g., for an automatic transmission) cannot act as an accompanying driver in an unrestricted (e.g., manual) vehicle.

Driving unaccompanied on a learner permit is an offence. If stopped by the Gardaí, you can be summonsed to court and fined a minimum of €1,000. If you fail to display L-plates, you can face an additional fine of at least €1,000.

8. Can I use my Irish learner permit to drive internationally?

No. A learner permit issued in the Republic of Ireland is valid only within the Republic of Ireland. You may not use it in any other jurisdiction (including Northern Ireland).

9. What specific rules or restrictions apply to learner drivers?

You must display L-plates on the front and rear of your vehicle at all times. You may not tow a trailer, drive on a motorway, or carry passengers for reward.

10. What requirements do I have to fulfill before I can sit my driving test?

You must wait six months from the issue date of your first learner permit before you can sit a driving test (although you may apply for your test in advance). This six-month wait will be waived for applicants who have held a full driving licence in another country for at least six months.

If your first Category B learner permit was issued on or after 4 April 2011, you must also complete the Essential Driver Training (EDT) programme, which includes taking 12 mandatory driving lessons with an ADI and keeping a log of your accompanied practice with a sponsor. Drivers who hold full licences from other countries are not exempt from EDT.

If your learner permit was issued before 4 April 2011, you are not required to complete the EDT programme.

11. Can I do my driving test in an automatic?
    Yes. However, if you pass your test in an automatic you will receive a restricted full licence that allows you to drive only automatics. To remove that restriction, you will have to obtain another learner permit and take your test again in a manual vehicle.

12. My test date is coming up. How do I prepare my car and myself for the test?

The vehicle in which you take your test must display current tax, insurance, and NCT discs (if applicable). It must bear front and rear L-plates and must be in a roadworthy condition. It should be reasonably clean inside and out, all loads and loose objects must be properly secured and stowed, your brake and indicator bulbs must be in working order, and no warning lights should be displayed on your dashboard. For more details on preparing your car for the driving test, see this RSA document: Final Checks for Your Driving Test.

During your test, you may not transport animals, children, or passengers other than the driving tester. You may not smoke during your driving test. If you have difficulty speaking English, or have hearing problems, you may bring an interpreter with you to the test centre provided that you give advance notice to the RSA. The interpreter may not be a driving instructor and may not accompany you during the driving component of the test.

During your test, you should wear comfortable clothing that does not unduly restrict your mobility. You may not drive barefoot or wear flip-flops, backless sandals, or other backless footwear. You are also recommended to avoid footwear such as heavy boots or high heels, which may impede your ability to use the pedals accurately.

If the tester believes that you are not properly prepared for the test, he or she may refuse to carry out the test and you may forfeit your fee. If you have doubts about the suitability of your car for test purposes, your ADI may allow you to use his or her vehicle for an extra fee.

13. What happens if I have to cancel my driving test?

You should contact the RSA by emailing cancelmytest@rsa.ie or calling 1890 40 60 40. If you give at least 10 days' notice, and have not previously cancelled more than two appointments, your fee will not be forfeited. If you give less than 10 days' notice, or if you have previously cancelled more than two appointments, you will lose your test fee.

14. On test day, what technical checks might I be asked to demonstrate?

Technical checks may include:
    • Tyres
    • Lights
    • Reflectors
    • Indicators
    • Horn
    • Engine Oil Level
    • Coolant Level
    • Windscreen Washer Fluid Level
    • Braking Fluid level
    • Power Steering Fluid Level
    Checking the oil: Ensure that the engine is off and cold, with the car on level ground. Remove the dipstick, clean, replace, and remove again. Check that the level of oil is between the minimum and maximum marks on the stick. Replace the dipstick again. If necessary top up engine with the correct oil.

Checking the engine coolant: Modern cars use a sealed system. Identify the coolant reservoir and check for the minimum and maximum markers on the side of the coolant tank. For older cars that still use water, it will be necessary to remove the radiator cap to check the water level. If so, point at the cap. Caps on either the radiator or coolant tank should not be removed while the engine is hot due to danger of burning or scalding.

Checking the windscreen washer fluid: Identify the windscreen washer container and check the level against the minimum and maximum markings.

Checking the brake fluid: Identify the brake fluid reservoir. Check the fluid level against the minimum and maximum indicators on the side of the brake fluid tank.

Checking the power steering fluid: Identify the reservoir. Check the fluid level against the minimum and maximum indicators on the side of the container. Some cars may have an electric power steering motor, in which case there will be no power steering fluid reservoir.

The tester will then ask you to close the car bonnet. To close, drop from a height of 0.5 meters or so. DO NOT push the bonnet closed to avoid causing dents. The tester may then ask you to describe orally how you would conduct other checks:

Checking the tyres: A minimum 1.6 mm deep tread is required across 75 percent of the tyre. You should regularly check the inner and outer tyre walls for cuts, tears, and bulges. Check for uneven wear, caused by misaligned wheels. Use an air-pressure gauge to check for the correct tyre pressure, as detailed in your car's owner's manual.

Checking the lights and indicators: Switch on the lights and walk around the car if necessary; otherwise ask someone to help. Check that all bulbs are working and all lenses are clean and free of cracks and holes. To check the brake lights, press the brake pedal and ask someone to check. If you are on your own, reverse the car up to a window or another reflective surface.

Checking the reflectors: Check that they are clean and unbroken.

Checking the brakes: The footbrake should not feel spongy. To test the footbrake, brake gently after you move off. The handbrake should stay up when engaged, and there should be good tension on the handle.

Checking the power steering: The steering wheel will be difficult to turn if the power steering is not working. Turn the steering wheel slightly, first with the engine on, then with the engine switched off. If the power steering is working, there should be a noticable difference between two conditions.

15. Will the tester ask me questions about the Rules of the Road and road signs?

Yes. The tester will ask you around six questions about the Rules of the Road and will ask you to identify around 12 road signs (six warning signs and six regulatory signs). The questions should be on the following topics: Traffic lights, overtaking, headlights, roundabouts, pedestrian crossings, and road markings.

The Rules of the Road (including an audio version as well as Irish, Polish, Russian, and Chinese Mandarin translations) are online at RulesoftheRoad.ie. A printed version of the Rules of the Road is available from most booksellers.

16. How is the driving test marked?

As you drive, the tester will note any errors you make on the official driving test report form [PDF file]. Each mistake will be categorized as a Grade 1 (minor), Grade 2 (more serious), or Grade 3 (dangerous/potentially dangerous) fault. Grade 1 faults are marked for informational purposes only; they do not affect the outcome of your test. In addition to errors you make on the road, you can incur Grade 2 faults for the following:
    • Giving 3 or more wrong answers during the technical checks/Rules of the Road part of the test
    • Demonstrating 3 or more secondary controls incorrectly
    • Demonstrating 3 or more hand signals incorrectly
    Any of the following will result in a failed test:
    • One or more Grade 3 faults
    • Four Grade 2 faults for a single aspect (e.g., Steering)
    • Six or more Grade 2 faults under the same heading (e.g., Vehicle Controls)
    • Nine or more Grade 2 faults overall

17. What happens if I fail the test?

When you return to the test centre, the tester will inform you that you have failed. The tester is not obliged to explain the reasons for the result. You will receive a copy of the tester's marked report form, which you should show to your ADI since it can indicate areas where your driving skills need to improve. You will also receive a Certificate of Failure, which you should retain in case you need to apply for a third or subsequent learner permit. You may reapply at any time to take your driving test again.

The RSA regards the tester's decision as final and binding. You may appeal the outcome only by bringing a case in the District Court. If the judge rules in your favour, he or she can only decide that your test was improperly conducted and award a retest free of charge. The judge cannot change the result of a driving test from a fail to a pass.

18. What happens if I pass the test?

When you return to the test centre, the tester will inform you that you have passed. He or she will issue you with a Certificate of Competency, valid for two years. At any time after receiving your Certificate of Competency, you may apply for your full licence at your local Motor Tax Office.

A Certificate of Competency is not a driving licence and cannot be used as a substitute for a driving licence. You are not considered to be a fully licenced driver until you have your full licence in your physical possession. Until that point, you should continue to display L-plates, drive with an accompanying driver, and observe the other rules and restrictions that apply to learner drivers.

19. I passed my Category B test. What other categories am I entitled to have on my full licence?

You are entitled to Category W (work vehicles) in addition to Category B.

At one time, candidates who passed the Category B test were entitled to other categories such as M (mopeds) or EB (B + heavy trailer), but these entitlements have now been discontinued. To add additional categories to your full licence, you must pass all applicable theory and practical tests for those categories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

i'm surprised to not see any questions here - please redirect me if I shouldn't post here. for Q18 - would you be able to share how long does it take to get the driving license after applying for it? I have applied for it but am waiting for my original documents to be returned that I had to submit for it. since i need the original documents to travel internationally.

Advertisement