Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Essential worker waiting 1 year for driving test

• 02-06-2021 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice. My husband applied for his driving test Summer 2020 through the paper route and paid by cheque. He did it this way as he works with a Councillor who told him it would be quicker that way. The cheque didn't clear until January 2021 and he still hasn't been offered a test. He's an essential worker so he has been in contact with the RSA and confirmed that they know this. He's also put himself forward a couple of times now for an Urgent test.

In December 2020 the Councillor he works with said that he would hear from the RSA in a matter of days. Safe to say, that didn't happen. When he has called the RSA they have nothing to tell him and now he's too busy in work to keep calling.

I'm just wondering if other people are having this issue? Is there anyone else we can contact for information? Such as the testing centre? Also, would it make sense to book again online? At this rate I'd doubt he'll ever get a date the way we're going!

Thanks in advance,
    Jen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smaxx

Something very wrong there. I took the test three times in the time since your husband booked his test. Got a date within two weeks of each application!

I don't think he can cancel for service credit (since he hasn't even gotten a date!) so I think the best bet would be to just book the thing again using the online portal and declaring himself essential. I'd be on to them non stop to try and get his money back first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fakent.ie

smaxx wrote: »
    Something very wrong there. I took the test three times in the time since your husband booked his test. Got a date within two weeks of each application!

What test center have you been applying to? just wondering to see what the waits are like in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My wife can't even get the theory test, every time she has a booking they have cancelled due to covid, the latest is an environmental issue at Wexford.....

Contacted minister Ryan for transport and never even got a acknowledged message.

The whole thing is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Friend of a friend did 6 or 7 tests since January, spread over Naas & Finglas.

Best name the location you've applied in, as I'd say some test centres may only have a few testers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Fakent.ie wrote: »
    What test center have you been applying to? just wondering to see what the waits are like in Dublin

Three of my colleagues had their tests about two months after giving the RSA a letter saying they were essential. The three of them used different testing places in Dublin. There is definitely something wrong with how the OPs husband applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fakent.ie

Three of my colleagues had their tests about two months after giving the RSA a letter saying they were essential. The three of them used different testing places in Dublin. There is definitely something wrong with how the OPs husband applied.

2 month wait list inside dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smaxx

Fakent.ie wrote: »

Tallaght each time

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

This is the problem. There’s no online waiting list indication the way there used to be pre COVID. (If I’m wrong though please do let me know)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Only half joking, but if your husband can't get a test while working for a Councillor then Ireland has really changed.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jenmcmarshall

Sorry, never got notified of these replies. He booked Finglas but still hasn't heard. His company has since bought him an automatic as he has a full licence for that. Thanks for the replies though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭1992ChainGang

I applied in early Jan '22 and got an email early Feb to book a test date (available dates then ranged from mid Feb to mid March).

Seems they've gotten through the waiting list somewhat.

Passed today, delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I applied for my D category test around October 2021 and did the test December 2021, I just applied as normal without mentioning that I'm also an essential worker.

My test was in Finglas.

Friend of mine got a test date within 2 weeks at Dun Laoghaire test centre last summer as an essential worker.

Advertisement