Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

Locking of the Purge Thread in AH

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ken. wrote: »
    I have to say Baggly was right to do what he done. I was the proverbial frog in the pot of water. The abuse got so gradually worse over the 4 threads that I was blind to it. Looking back there could have been dozens of cards handed out(Definitely should have got one myself). We'll give it a break for a week or 2 and come back better.

Ah Ken, the insults are the best part. It's not personal, I don't know the other posters in real life. The purges were a great idea and the timing was perfect.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

How many people reported posts on the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭This is it

Consistency, that's the main gripe from posters with regards to mods as far as I can see, and it's a huge issue here.

The other threads were fine, with mods even taking part. Ken and some others active in the threads. And then we have another going gung-ho in this one with cards and bans. Modding for the sake of it.

Why didn't you lock and discuss with your comods before the cards and bans. See what the craic was? Nope, a rule was broken, it must be actioned!

As was said, lots of great charities benefited from a bit of slagging and a few posters having the craic. You can thank yourself for ruining that because even if it is reopened, it won't be the same. But sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

This is it wrote:
    Why didn't you lock and discuss with your comods before the cards and bans. See what the craic was? Nope, a rule was broken, it must be actioned!

I did as it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I have to say Baggly was right to do what he done. I was the proverbial frog in the pot of water. The abuse got so gradually worse over the 4 threads that I was blind to it. Looking back there could have been dozens of cards handed out(Definitely should have got one myself). We'll give it a break for a week or 2 and come back better.

Na, don’t bother.

And this post is a total cop out tbh.

Well done on ruining a good thing lads. Good job.

You told people to tone down the language in the first thread and minutes laster said a poster was "acting the prîck". Do as I say and not as I do.

I dunno what ye are at.

Ah Ken, the insults are the best part. It's not personal, I don't know the other posters in real life. The purges were a great idea and the timing was perfect.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If it ain't broke, break it in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I have to say Baggly was right to do what he done.

I suppose you do, don't you?

Baggly wrote: »
    I did as it happened.

Even worse again that it went the direction it did so.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As this is a forum-specific (and indeed thread-specific) issue it does not fall within site-wide Feedback remit. I've therefore moved it to Help Desk where such issues are dealt with

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And having had a look through this thread I would make the following comments

The reason these issues are dealt with here rather than in Feedback is this forum specifically deals with "complaints". Feedback is for that - sitewide feedback

This forum requires replies to be approved by mods. It's very clear this thread got out of hand yesterday evening (when I and others were involved in a lot of stuff in the Coronavirus forum - I only saw this thread this morning)

The mod closed the thread at 20:31 with this comment:
    Mod

Thread closed. Lads there has been an escalation and its gone too far. You can object that it hasn't been called before now but I can't do anything about that but apply the rules since I'm here now.

I'll discuss with comods as to whether it can be revived.

So then someone goes over to start a thread in site-wide Feedback within 8 minutes!!!!

Seriously? Discuss with the mod yes, but start a thread in Feedback simply to express your own outrage and in a forum which encourages others to do likewise?

There's a process. Follow it. PM the mod. Give them the opportunity to respond. If not happy approach a CMod. If still not happy start a thread in Help desk, not Feedback

The mod said "reviving" would be discussed, but bringing it over here can only have an opposite effect. Oh there's a thread we can go and slag moderation on. Let's go over the Feedback lads/lasses...

Give the mods time. Posting here 8 minutes later is not going to help anything - it has clearly only escalated things

Now hopefully you can all let the mods discuss it, perhaps with the input of CMods. I'm not getting involved in that discussion, partly because I have some work to do, and partly because of other Forum and Site responsibilities I currently have

I will be checking in on this thread though. Some posts may not be approved, depending on content and intent. That's because these threads are supposed to be constructive and not turned into a witchhunt (I know not all of you had that intent, but one or two posts definitely come across that way)

Leave it locked, the thread as an idea is done. A few charities benefited, maybe in a few weeks or months something else will pop up to drive a few €€ to them.

I agree the first port of call should've been to PM the mod, or at least wait to see what came from the discussion behind the scenes before coming here, but I still think it was handled badly, and handled worse again in this thread.

To have multiple mods, at least 3 AH mods as far as I remember, taking part in threads and seeing no issue, to another carding and banning in what was similar posting styles smacks of the inconsistency that is brought up so often by posters in various feedback threads throughout the site.

Mods aren't infallible, we all make mistakes. Whether the mistake here was to let this run at all or to card/ban, I don't know. I thought it was great craic and only those taking part got a slagging. For the most part anyway, I did see a few dragged in but they were reported and I can only presume, dealt with.

Approve that or don't, I'm not too bothered.

I made the thread and put it in the wrong forum. I did pm Baggly but wanted to make the thread anyway for the reasons I stated in the opening post which I still stand by.

The mods are discussing it, so please bear with us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

I'm going to post.. hadn't seen this thread until now.
    Ok.... firstly..I am one of the people who was carded/banned....I had asked on thread what was allowed... that wasn't included in the quoted posts here, I must point that out just to show I wasn't being a complete twat.
    I did have a back and forth with the mod in question...and the only way I could explain it was it was Tom & Jerry cartoon violence...tbf he rescinded my ban..and I appreciate that...i try not to get carded here if possible....
    But everything that has been said here is true...it was a complete insult-fest since day one...it was attack the poster...and that was the whole Idea...
    At no point did I feel personally attacked...and I am a little bemused that it has come to this.
    It was something different, it was needed..in these dark times it was where people could dip in call someone a name...get one in turn..and get back on with your day.
    95% of the posters are active in AH..and on the same thread...and as you can see...there is no hangover...or ill feeling...quite the opposite as you can see from the replies here.

It did go on for too long this week.. the 24 hour free for all is what it should have been...and it's why it should be going forward.
    Now...the hard part.... since there is a turn against it amongst mods.... is there a way we can resurrect it in a few weeks... with perhaps 1 or 2 preordained rules..words that are verboten...and see if it can let run again....as Beasty said they were preoccupied with the covid threads...this is a welcome respite from all that actual reality... perhaps even in a private forum...you join..you know the score...it's give and take. I would hate to see this while thing go down the drain.

But anyway...that's my personal view :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You have previously thanked me for my handling of the tournament threads so I don't know if this is you being a hypocrite or you trolling me. Either way you do you pal.

Did you not have an issue with a poster allegedly, in your view, getting "personal" earlier in this thread?

The thread was harmless. Everyone knew what they signed up for. And there was no malice involved. OTT reaction IMO.

Any update on this since last week?

Given that restrictions are extended it would be nice to have a lighthearted distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Why are ye bothering to argue here? AH is gone to the dogs and will not be returning. Its not the place to have fun anymore. It was decent for a while there thanks to threads by Omackeral and Ken, along with some decent modding. Baggly put the final nail in its coffin by ruining the spirit of the whole purge idea and throwing out unwarranted bans, which have now been rescinded, by a cmod in my case. I'm shocked I had to take it that far but there you go.

How could you have "fun" in a forum that inconsistently modded? Treated like adults by some mods and treated like children by others. Great place to chat about tea and biscuits though, if that's your idea of fun.

Any update on this since last week?

Given that restrictions are extended it would be nice to have a lighthearted distraction.

*tumbleweed*

No response to this and a post deleted.

Can anyone confirm if there will be another purge thread? If yes, will it be a polite, afternoon tea with grandma type affair?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

The Purge thread that was closed and some of the content in the others was not compatible with the rules of AH. I don't see another free for all like that happening again in AH.

We are looking at solutions for how tournaments like that will take place, but it won't be in the format of an insult free for all. I've outlined the reasons why previously in this thread so I won't go over them again.

I'd have to disagree with the statement that AH has gone to the dogs. The majority of posters know the rules, follow them and enjoy the forum. There are plenty of healthy fun threads ongoing in the forum.

Plenty of fun was had in the flags tournament recently without the need for insults as another example a little closer to home for this feedback thread.

Apologies for the delay in update on my side of things...thats the update on my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Well I never saw that coming. Its funny how it was fine until that evening you decided to intervene though, Baggly. Making the world safe again with your "healthy fun". After Hours is now Office Hours.