Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Abyss Gazes Also

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Feb

Recovery from this virus is weird, plodding is fine

So you should be fine for racing then? 🙂

Glad to here you are on the mend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

tunney wrote: »
    So you should be fine for racing then? ��

Glad to here you are on the mend.

Cheers Dave :D

I actually joined one of the TI Strava races during the week... started off good but the HR soon rocketed and I bailed. A very familiar raceday scene for a good swimmer; getting passed by a succession of bikes after halfway :D

March 1st
    20min Fastlane; 5k easy trail

2nd
    2min Fastlane 5*200; 45min turbo (main 4min PE7/8, 2min EZ)

3rd
    20min EZ Fastlane; 5km EZ hill run

4th
    Nothing

5th
    45min turbo (main 4min PE7/8, 2min EZ)

6th
    20min Fastlane (rest of the day spent chopping wood)

7th
    20min Fastlane (10*100); 1:40 EZ bike

My HR is still all over the place, and so training is limited because of that. Its getting better though (and sense of smell is slowly coming back), so hopefully things will get back on course from here. I'll keep things easy for the next couple of weeks anyway, and maybe ramp up the volume. I've got to lose some weight though; todays bike was the first time outside in a while and I suffered on any hills. Might try a few OW dips this week while I have the blubber. The Fastlane swimming is great, its starting to become a routine.

Friday I got a text from a club mate, did I fancy joining a zoom chat with Ali Brownlee and his training partner Mark Buckingham he had set up? Did I what?!?; it was a very enjoyable if strange couple of hours being able to ask them questions and chat. Both very down to earth guys, lots of banter about training, racing, etc (here's the secret- the only real difference between what they do and what AG'ers do is volume). Keep it simple, keep it consistent, keep it enjoyable; and you'll get results. They are training 30 hours a week (7hrs swim, 6 hrs run, balance bike) on a hard day/easy day basis, they train by HR rather than pace or power, they have a laugh and enjoy training with each other. An AG'er might only be doing a third of those hours, but could probably learn from the rest. Anyway, good unexpected fun, and something to smile about during this lockdown nonsense!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Friday I got a text from a club mate, did I fancy joining a zoom chat with Ali Brownlee and his training partner Mark Buckingham he had set up? Did I what?!?; it was a very enjoyable if strange couple of hours being able to ask them questions and chat. Both very down to earth guys, lots of banter about training, racing, etc (here's the secret- the only real difference between what they do and what AG'ers do is volume). Keep it simple, keep it consistent, keep it enjoyable; and you'll get results. They are training 30 hours a week (7hrs swim, 6 hrs run, balance bike) on a hard day/easy day basis, they train by HR rather than pace or power, they have a laugh and enjoy training with each other. An AG'er might only be doing a third of those hours, but could probably learn from the rest. Anyway, good unexpected fun, and something to smile about during this lockdown nonsense!

Lines up nicely with zicos thread on athletics about us making things too complicated.

The last time I was actually fit back in 2017 :( when training for Ironman all my distances improved, purely because of volume I believed.
    Making things too fancy and complicated takes all the enjoyment out of training for me. Structure and progression can still be fairly simple - the stuff people used to tell me they were doing was mind boggling and then they couldn't tell you the rationale behind doing it...just coach had it on my plan so I did it kinda thing.

Very jealous of you and your fastlane now, over a year since I last swam!

Cheers RQ- on the enjoyment side of things Brownlee was quite adamant he'd have chucked it years ago if it wasn't still fun. Enjoyment is what its all about for everyone... granted sometimes it can seem a chore but that's usually the time spent thinking about a session, everything changes once you get the foot out the door!

I hear you on 2017, think it was the last time I was "fit" too... although its all a matter of perspective. Currently plodding along and huffing and puffing in doing so. It's a means to an end.

Yeah I'm very lucky with the Fastlane alright. So many people have asked about getting one that I now have a FAQ-type email ready to send off! But the good news is the sea beckons, and that's free and even more fun. Must catch up for a swim one of these days!

• Advertisement

March 8th-14th 11hrs total (3.6k swim, 145k bike, 30k run)

A ramp up in hours this week, although everything was low intensity. My HR is still too high for the perceived effort, but that's just going to be the way it goes for a while. In the meantime I'm enjoying the spins, the runs, and will hopefully get into the sea this week.

March 15th-21st 7hrs total (3k swim, 66k bike, 28k run)

A poor week with a few sessions skipped... its easy to make excuses but also pointless stressing about missing them. Less work in the office needed, more outdoor training. On the plus side the HR seems to be coming under control, but I'll keep things ticking over for a while yet.

March 22nd-28th 9hrs (6.1k swim, 142k bike, 18.5k run)

This was a better week as the consistency starts to pay dividends. HR is moving in the right direction, sense of smell is coming back (lustily inhaled from my sweat towel during todays turbo), generally moving in the right direction. I'm happy to keep the effort low for another week at least, and just enjoy any benefits. There was a good long run on Wednesday alongside crashing waves on a deserted beach, which was a tonic for the soul but left me with a tight calf after running on sand. Swapped out the weekends long run for an extra turbo, but hopefully will be back jogging this week.

March 29th-April 4th (8hrs: 4.5k swim, 140k bike, 10k run)

Another decent, consistent week. Starting to bring in a little more effort- a hard turbo from Zwift which still had last years Wattages programmed in... boy, I can still feel the hurt from that. A muscle pull in my back limited the running but should be ok for next week. Highlight was a couple of sea swims, the best being just after dawn and watching the orange sun rise slowly over the horizon.

More of the same next week, just dialling up the focus a notch, but the name of the game is still very much Easy and low HR.

Mon 5th April 1,500m Fastlane
    10 mins easy warm up
    20 x 50 swim - 15' between
    (1st 10 with pull buoy, 2nd 10 without)
    These short sets are a useful way to get more out of the Fastlane, where form can dissipate due to turbulence. The generous rest allows you to reset each time.

Tue 1,000m Fastlane; 45min run
    Swim: 5min ez, 10*100 progressive
    Run: Easy enough pace- I had twinged my back somehow a few days past. Felt good during except the calf started to get tight after 30mins. Back felt much better after doing the run though.

Wed 1,000 Fastlane easy; 40min turbo
    Min turbo set was 5*(1min 8/9PE, 2min ez)- felt like the first real intensity in a while.

Thurs 30min easy run
    The "goal" of these runs is to keep HR low, and in that regard it was successful, if slow by default.

Fri 1,500m Fastlane
    10 mins easy warm up

Sat 15k easy run
    Kept it easy, calf was niggling throughout but not enough to hinder the run. Nice to do an LSR around new routes, New Ross is pretty hilly in places!

Sun 65min turbo
    Min set:
    3 times {
    10 mins at 6 out of 10 effort staying aerobic
    2 mins effort 8 or 9 out of 10
    2 mins recovery
    30 seconds effort 8 or 9 out of 10
    30 seconds recovery
    }
    Found this as tough as its meant to be.

Overall a decent week, hit all the sessions (or more a matter of ticking off each session really). I'm still suffering from overall lethargy and fatigue, but not so much that I can't train at current levels.

• Advertisement

Mon 12th April 1,500m Fastlane
    10 mins easy warm up

Tue 45min turbo
    Main: 4 * 4 mins at 7-8 PE with 2 mins between recovery

Wed 1,500m Fastlane
    10 mins easy warm up
    (BE5 every 5th)

Thurs 45min easy run
    This was the best my breathing has been in a while... there was an article on the IT about athletic people hit by covid- they generally don't appreciate just how long it takes to come back, and I understand what they mean.
    Nice route, hilly road going up, knotty forest bike trail through trees coming down. Wore a calf guard and had zero issues.

Fri 2,000m Fastlane
    10 mins easy warm up
    15 x 100 with 15' rest between

Sat 16k easy run
    Lovely morning for a trot, probably started it a little dehydrated but thankfully passed by a holy well.
    About 270m elevation gained... that's what counts for a flat loop around these parts. Absolutely no issues with the calf, wore a guard and didn't feel a thing.

Sun 25min OW swim; 65min turbo
    Swim: met a few mates early in Cahore- I was covered in Neoprene suit, hat, boots, gloves... they were in skins and have been since Jan. Hardy men.
    Turbo main set:
    3 times {
    10 mins at 6 out of 10 effort staying aerobic
    2 mins effort 8 or 9 out of 10
    2 mins recovery
    30 seconds effort 8 or 9 out of 10
    30 seconds recovery
    }
    Tough effort

Another decent week for ticking the boxes. I can almost feel potential fitness beginning to stir...
    With the uncertainty for the Triathlon season, its probably time to consider the back up plan of hitting a few long OW swim goals. I'll continue to train towards a Triathlon return, but alongside will increase the frequency and distance of OW swims. Having witnessed a few things the past fortnight that suggest some folk are comfortable living in a police state where ratting out your neighbours is normalised, I long for the freedom that the sea affords. Its still unclear if/when any OW races will operate, but there's nothing to stop planning for some landmark long sea swims (circumnavigate the 25K Valentia Island being a lifelong goal, but there a few pointers to hit before attempting that one).

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 19th April|1,500m Fastlane (20*50); 5k easy run|Easy run along Annagh hill
    Tue|70min turbo|4*(8 mins 7-8 PE, 2 mins EZ)
    Wed|1,000m Fastlane (10*100pb); 53min easy run|Hilly run around Askamore trails
    Thurs|1,700m Fastlane (12*100); 38min easy run|
    Fri|957m OW swim|early swim at Cahore
    Sat|16.7k hill run|Kyle loop at a comfortable pace
    Sun|1,010m OW swim; 65min turbo|3*(10min 260W, 2min 360W, 2min 160W, 30s 410W, 30s 160W)
    Swim total 6,167m|Bike total 68.5k|Run total 37.4k

Things are starting to click, helped no doubt by a return to the hills and to the sea. I'm starting to get fitter, although had a shock during the week from the first weigh-in in 6 months or more... a hefty 97kg, about 10kg overweight. That should start to shed if this training consistency continues. Otherwise breathing has improved, HR seems better, and sense of smell almost fully returned.

I've started to venture into the hills again, you can't beat the trail running for lifting spirits. Ditto splashing around in the cold sea; some lovely swells at this mornings fun. Effort is still easy for the runs and swims, any intensity kept for the turbo, and I'm going to keep things at that level for a while longer.

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 19th April|1,500m Fastlane (20*50); 70min turbo|4*(8 mins 7-8 PE, 2 mins EZ)
    Tue|77min easy run|
    Wed|1,500m Fastlane (20*50)|
    Thurs|30min very easy run| Killanerin trails
    Fri|72min hill run|Askamore trails
    Sat|1,500m OW swim|Valentia sea
    Sun|106min easy run; 6min OW splash|Valentia loop at a comfortable pace; first skins of 2021
    Swim total 4,604m|Bike total 48.1k|Run total 47.8k

Another consistent week. I made the long journey to Kerry which meant a missed bike session, but otherwise all good. A new wetsuit saw the longest OW swim so far at 1.5k, and to be fair I could have kept going all day in it (HUUB Archimedes IV, seems like an upgrade around the neck from previous incarnations). First "proper" skins swim of the year too, only 6mins but to be honest that only hurt for the first 2mins and then it felt fine. Some good longer runs in there this week too, happy enough with the way things are going.

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 3rd May| 110min easy turbo|this was after the long drive back from Kerry so kept things easy
    Tue|1,500m Fastlane (20*50); 75min easy run|Forest run
    Wed|1,500m Fastlane (5*200); 30min very easy run|
    Thurs|1,500m Fastlane (15*100); 70min Turbo| 4*(8min 270W, 2min EZ)
    Fri|1.7k OW swim|Camped overnight at Cahore, calm this evening with wetsuit
    Sat|500m OW swim; 80min easy turbo|20min skins in choppy waters
    Sun|1,500m Fastlane (15*100); 120min easy run|Tinahely loop at a comfortable pace
    Swim total 8,445m|Bike total 136k|Run total 38.6k

This was the best week for a while, things are progressing in the right direction. The highlight was a fantastic 20min early morning swim in very choppy seas at Cahore- no wetsuit and it felt brilliant, the sort of waves that have you swimming up them and then falling out the top. Magic.
    Biking volume has gone up, and effort is there if needed on the turbo sessions.
    Did my longest run in a while to round out the week, kept the pace down and the run unfurled, it felt fine and only started to pinch over the last few k. Happy with the overall week, need to just keep things going and keep stretching the distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kurt Godelfish

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 10th May| 1,500m Fastlane (20*50);70min Turbo| 4*(8min 270W, 2min EZ)
    Tue|50min easy run|Hill run
    Wed|53min turbo|4 * 10 mins at 8 PE, 2min EZ
    Thurs|1,500m Fastlane (5*200)|
    Fri|10k Hill run; 1.8k OW swim|
    Sat|75min turbo|3*(10min 260W, 2min 360W, 2min 160W, 30s 410W, 30s 160W)
    Sun||
    Swim total 4,625m|Bike total 118k|Run total 17.3k

Not a great week, lost my caravan key while swimming in Cahore on Friday and that put an end to the weekend- borrowed a phone and called home, shivering for an hour before I was picked up. At least I wore the wetsuit; it was late when I went in and had contemplated skins.

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 17th May||
    Tue||
    Wed||
    Thurs||
    Fri|6k easy run in Kerry; 10min OW dip|
    Sat|75min turbo|3*(10min 260W, 2min 360W, 2min 160W, 30s 410W, 30s 160W)
    Sun|120min Hill run|Lovely run around Gibbet Hill
    Swim total 141m|Bike total 37.3k|Run total 24.4k

I was all over the place this week- crazy in work; had to drive to Kerry and could only stay a night; feeling generally stressed. One day off becomes two becomes three... anyway, done now and hopefully the mini break will have helped with stress. Back on the horse now.

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 24th May| 1,500m Fastlane (20*50)|
    Tue|35min easy run|sloppy muddy run
    Wed|50min OW|Great swim about 2.5k pushed by better swimmers
    Thurs||
    Fri|11k Hill run|Very wet over Annagh Hill
    Sat|2.5hr club spin|60k including some choice hills- great to be out with a gang again and enjoying the banter
    Sun|17k backroads LSR; 1.51k OW swim|testing the new Swimrun wetsuit
    Swim total 5,510m|Bike total 60.4k|Run total 33.7k

A better week if still missing a couple of sessions. Consistency is key, something you only really appreciate when you start missing sessions. On the plus side, weight is starting to drop, running feeling easier, and fun levels back to where they should be.

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 31st May| 1,500m Fastlane (20*50); 55min trail run| Nice revisiting Ticknock after years
    Tue|1,000m Fastlane; 30min progressive run|5k progressive, balance easy
    Wed|37min OW; Swimrun practice|Decent OW swim followed by various Swimrun
    Thurs|7k run| steady enough around Marlay park
    Fri|65min turbo|
    Sat|70min turbo|60k including some choice hills- great to be out with a gang again and enjoying the banter
    Sun|1:30 run; 32min OW swim|2k trot, 9k canter, balance trot- skins swim
    Swim total 6,200m|Bike total 79k|Run total 38.5k

Happy with the weeks training, swim is going fine, some hard power on the turbo sessions, and I hooked along with a club run on Sunday which took me out of the comfort zone.

News a couple of days back my goal ITU Aquathon in Holland has been cancelled. So its looking like Waterville half, Hardman full, and Valentia Sprint will be the "goals" as such. Getting fit and losing weight are the real goals, but then I have to temper that with enjoyment, which is the Real real goal.

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 7th June| 1.2k OW swim; 42k Hilly bike| Early swim Kilmurrin Cove; lap of Croghan
    Tue|1,500m Fastlane|50's
    Wed|9k run; 30min OW|Run and swim by Lough Derg
    Thurs|127K bike; 10min OW| Lap of Lough Derg
    Fri|25min OW Lough Derg|
    Sat|35min OW Lough Ree|
    Sun||
    Swim total 6,377m|Bike total 169k|Run total 21.4k

Good training week, traveled around in the camper van and just had fun. I guess the highlight was a 127K lap of Lough Derg on the bike- roads weren't great and hillier than you'd expect. I started early unfueled, just had water with me and meant to stop half way, kept going till Portumna at 90K and for whatever reason I decided to keep going... bonked soon after and had to stop with 10k to go for a 99, Snickers, Double Decker, and Lucozade. A brief rest and was soon ok to finish. Not a route I'd hurry back to, but a nice box to tick.

There are some great spots in this country, we are very lucky to live on such a varied temperate island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I have been planning a lap of Lough Derg for the last 20years and still haven't managed it which is worse as Im living in Limerick :(
    will have to this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

go for a 99, Snickers, Double Decker, and Lucozade.

Ah, the breakfast of champions!

Well done on the spin by the way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭griffin100

You can’t beat a good bonk :) (no double entendres intended). It’s always good to know the feeling that you get when one is coming.

Last summer I decided to see how long I could go without eating. I had no breakfast and set off on the bike. I managed just over 4hrs before I had to eat. I was starting to hallucinate I was so weak :)

I know now I can do a 3 hr spin without any food, but if I plan on staying out longer I will start eating early in the ride.

Advertisement