Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Control-Alt-Delete.........RESTART!

Options
  • 02-07-2014 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

When I start a new log I normally post an epic first post. Not this time.

Since Feb - What happened? Are you still alive?

I did a duathlon in Feb and I was in great shape for that time of year, my best season in tri lay ahead of me for sure. The week after saw the sh1t hit the fan for me. Lots of stress between work, college and life in general saw me on the scrap heap. School is out for the summer and I somehow got through my college course and although I thought I'd be able to get straight back into things in June - that didn't happen either.

I don't mind admitting that the thoughts of having to start all over again, one stone heavier and seeing 20% BF on the scales for the first time in my life, scares the sh1t out of me.

The beauty is though that every second of every day is a new opportunity to start again;

"If you’re in a comfort zone, afraid to venture out, Remember that all winners were at one time filled with doubt." - unknown

What Now?

I got back training today and I am going to take one day at a time. The only goals that I have are:

1) Exercise regularly
    2) Eat clean
    3) Drop the extra weight
    4) Try and race in Sept
    5) Improve my spelling ;)

Longer term...

Win a race (plenty to handpick from these days!)

The ultimate goal...

To be still very active, swim, bike and run preferably well into my 60's. I know a few of these guys and they are who I look up to. Hero's.

The future begins today.

Oh what the heck...here's a smiley face :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Welcome back my good man!!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Woohoo delighted you're back. You know how much I have enjoyed your logs in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yay!!!!! Smiley faces!!!! :):):) So, so, so, so glad you're back!!!! Whoop whoop whoop!!! (please note, this is the first time I have ever given a 3 whoop!) ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

El D,
    Great to see you back here! Looking forward to following your adventure back. Best of luck with it!
    R

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was wondering where you'd got to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Bull**** el d all lies - once you got down on bended knee that was it for you. Bet you typed that up in the toilet when she wasn't watching :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

catweazle wrote: »
    Bull**** el d all lies - once you got down on bended knee that was it for you. Bet you typed that up in the toilet when she wasn't watching :D

There speaks the bitter voice of experience :pac:

Great to have you back ElD. I've always enjoyed reading your logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Good to have you back. We've missed you round these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Welcome back El D. The main thing is that you got through the stress and are ready to get back at it. It won't be the last roadblock so just get stuck in while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Great to see you back El D. Always enjoyed your logs and the honesty in them. I've done the work and late night studying and it does take it's toll but it's great to finish it and get through it all. You will appreciate the free time you have to train all the much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Good to see you back sir.

September race eh....

There's some kinda gathering in Mallorca around that time a few of us are attempting - gives you till the end of Sept as well... :pac::P:D

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks everybody. It feels like coming home :)

It nice to hear that people like to read my ramblings! :)

Today was a rest day so nothing to report. Already looking forward to an early morning run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Welcome back El D, good to have you around again :)

Okay, time for an update! There isn't much TBH A few spins here and there and a run or two, nothing worth mentioning. I thought I was ready to just jump back in but it does not work like that.

Lately though, the last week or so I have felt the motivation and the fire in the belly again. I was really looking forward to training this week, alas it has not happened. On Sunday night I left the bedroom window open and my mouth open, I can only do one - not both! Got a throat infection/cold. Feeling a lot better today though so perhaps tomorrow I'll get in a spin.

Next week I am holidaying but I hope to fit in some exercise of some sort. I have 2 stone put on since Feb so I needed to start "eating" into that ASAP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi El_D,

Good to see you back. Does it not concern you that your weight seems to spiral out of control when your not exercising 8+hours a week? Surely that's not right. You seem to be the Jan Ullrich of triathlon! I'd sort out the diet permanently (eating sustainably so that yo don't need to exercise to stay in shape) as a priority.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hi El_D,

Good to see you back. Does it not concern you that your weight seems to spiral out of control when your not exercising 8+hours a week? Surely that's not right. You seem to be the Jan Ullrich of triathlon! I'd sort out the diet permanently (eating sustainably so that yo don't need to exercise to stay in shape) as a priority.

Hey KB, great to hear from you dude!

As usual a good insight and you are right of course. It's something I've always struggled with. I am very much like, training going well, diet going well and when I'm on top of it it's great! I mean in Feb I was 74.5kg and 9% BF, I HAD 3 months to train at that weight and body comp to get used of it but I blew up mentally tbh. Now, 88kg and 19% BF. I have that all or nothing personality I think and throw my toys out of the pram when things are not going well. A self sabotaging trait I have. I preach one thing but often practice the opposite. I bet there are people reading this that can relate.

Anyway, I am taking steps in this regard and as you said I really need to get on top of this first. TBH the weight thing is really not the problem but more a symptom/effect of something else (cause). As corny as it sounds it's really all about loving thy self :) I'm glad to say I'm getting to grips with it and I've started yoga again and meditation/mindfulness. I believe this log will be as much about the mental side of things as the physical training.

Thanks KB and again, great to hear from you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Glad to hear it - I'm an all or nothing person too and was very much of the same mould. Then kids came along - couldn't train and realised 'hey i shouldn't need to train 8 hours a week just to stay the same shape - there is something wrong here'. Turns out I was eating too much crap - more so without realising it - the amount of sugar in simple things like half can of beans (13g fyi) is unreal.

I prob eat more now, just less sugar or carbs that turn into sugar. I've mentioned it on a few diet threads on the main forum in recent weeks if you're interested. Don't want to be banging on though as not trying to convert others or anything like that. Just convinced people don't have a clue what they are actually eating.

Also on the all or nothing side of it - it needs to be sustainable and a lifestyle. No point otherwise or it will be back to teh beginning.

TBH I knew what I was eating was crap and that's why I was doing it. I'm well versed in the low sugar/carb and high fat way of eating but in spite of that, being mindful of what I was doing, I still went ahead and did it, knowing it was not right. Not sure if you have heard of Prof. Steve Peters "Chimp Paradox" but I recommend checking it out. It makes complete sense to me and I really relate to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Not sure if you have heard of Prof. Steve Peters "Chimp Paradox" but I recommend checking it out. It makes complete sense to me and I really relate to it.

Looks good I must get a copy. Have you read "The Happiness Trap" ? Has helped me a lot.

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Looks good I must get a copy. Have you read "The Happiness Trap" ? Has helped me a lot.

I actually got the audio book as Steve Peters himself actually narrates it. I have heard of that book alright but I have not read it but I will! I've always enjoyed reading for info and not pleasure (something I want to change actually!) and these days instead of swim, bike, run books I find myself wanting to know more about meditation, mindfulness, happiness, sports phycology etc... all very, very interesting!

• Advertisement

Hi :)

Okay, take 2. There were a few glitches/bugs in the new OS, not as bad Apple obvs but still!

So get back into exercise has not been easy but slowly improving. I have only 2 targets right now:

1. Drop 10kg in 10 weeks. So far so good, down from 93kg to 91kg
    2. Exercise everyday. Once I rattle off 14 days I may start to call it training again.

Right now I am just trying to re establish my good habits.

I must say reading the new structure of racing in Ireland yesterday has really excited me. I don't care if there is no NC for age groupers. NC are for the very best and so only those good enough and proven should be competing for it. This leaves the NS open for the next tier of athletes to fight for. Also, there is a huge aim now...try to become a Cat 1 athlete. Very good for my motivation.

But one step at a time. I'm so far away from even racing yet.

This week I have ran, biked, swam and yoga'd! Today I plan to run, Saturday swim and Sunday bike. These are very, very short in duration, I'm just trying to establish a habit of getting out there right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Good to have you back.

Need more smilies around here :)

okay, I'll try again to kick start my active life style.

I'll go into more detail when I can. I'm at a disgraceful weight now and completely detrained. Also I have a broken hand and a bad knock to the head. The cast comes off on Friday so training will start Monday, turboing only for a week or two I suspect, then running and finally swimming.

3 Goals for 2015, goal 2 and 3 depend on 1:

1. Lose 15kg
    2. Do an middle distance event
    3. Do my first marathon

It's kinda scary starting from rock bottom all over again but I have done it before, acquired and retained a lot of knowledge along the way and I still believe in myself despite the year that was 2014.

Here is to a better, healthier 2015!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Nice to see you back El D. I hope you keep the momentum through the coming year
    3. Do my first marathon

This is on my list too. Have you picked one yet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bet you still look skinny with your extra 15kg :)

ray o wrote: »
    Nice to see you back El D. I hope you keep the momentum through the coming year

This is on my list too. Have you picked one yet?

Not yet Ray. Going to pick one in the next two weeks. Not too keen on Dublin I must say. I'd like a flat one with decent weather and a chance to see somewhere new!

Bet you still look skinny with your extra 15kg :)

I think you mean an extra 20.6kg!! I look grand I suppose, sick of everyone telling me how much better I look and that I used to look sick! Also sick of sweet f all of my clothes fitting me!

Today the cast came off. Hand still swollen, stiff and very sore. The clean diet and exercise starts tomorrow with a vist to the gym and an hour there doing what I can and the Physio exerdises on my hand.

I'm a man of numbers of course so here's one, grip of both hands measured:

Right 44/sq inch
    Left 4/sq inch :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

20.6kg :eek:

The grip will return. Broke my hand years ago and all good soon after

• Advertisement

20.6kg :eek:

The grip will return. Broke my hand years ago and all good soon after

Thanks Mike, good to hear! Sure the 20kg will fall off me! :D

Advertisement