Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boxing Thread 20/02 (Kelly v Avanesyan, Valdez v Berchelt, Wallin v Breazeale etc)

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

My goodness KO by Valdez, Berchelt could have really suffered from that knockout - scary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Brilliant fight that. Great ebb and flow to it. Valdez just too quick and accurate with the left hook. Great win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭squinn2912

My goodness KO by Valdez, Berchelt could have really suffered from that knockout - scary

Wow didn’t expect that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I see wallin won on points at least I got one prediction right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Career best performance from Valdez on his biggest night. He really picked his punches superbly and his jab was a serious weapon.

Berchelt just couldn't live with him on the night but pressed and pressed. Brave man.

Brilliant fight to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,547 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What did folks make of Berchelt?

The lad is ranked very highly at 130..

I have seen some of his fights before this one..

I thought he was dreadful last night.

Slow, ponderous, predictable. No zip, and absolutely no defense..

He was walking Valdez down all night, but doing eff all other than slow laboured push-punches whilst eating shots all night..

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

walshb wrote: »
    What did folks make of Berchelt?

The lad is ranked very highly at 130..

I have seen some of his fights before this one..

I thought he was dreadful last night.

Slow, ponderous, predictable. No zip, and absolutely no defense..

He was walking Valdez down all night, but doing eff all other than slow laboured push-punches whilst eating shots all night..

It's hard to know. Some people have suggested he's outgrown the weight, others saying that him catching Covid could have effected him etc. Can't take anything away from Valdez though.

Berchelt was poor on the night. He's always looked a little one dimensional to me anyway but he was better than he looked maybe? Big and strong at weight. Could bully or outfight other guys and had good power. Hard to beat certainly.

Valdez had good movement and good punch selection. His power was very impressive also against a bigger guy. The team Canelo conditioning was impressive once again also.

rebelomar wrote: »
    It's hard to know. Some people have suggested he's outgrown the weight, others saying that him catching Covid could have effected him etc. Can't take anything away from Valdez though.

Berchelt was poor on the night. He's always looked a little one dimensional to me anyway but he was better than he looked maybe? Big and strong at weight. Could bully or outfight other guys and had good power. Hard to beat certainly.

Valdez had good movement and good punch selection. His power was very impressive also against a bigger guy. The team Canelo conditioning was impressive once again also.

Lomachenko should look to 130 now. He’d eat Valdez alive..

I think Oscar’s performance was good, but Berchelt was very poor.

For parts of the fight, Valdez looked unsure and uncomfortable...

Tank Davis, if he fights at 130 destroys Valdez. Other than Loma and Tank, there is very little at 130..

I reckon Frampton gives a far better show than Berchelt.

The actual shot wasn’t particularly heavy. Valdez is not a big hitter. The fact that Berchelt was falling forward into meant it had more an effect. The head kind of just snapped back from the forward momentum hitting a fist..

Similar to Manny’s falling forward onto Marquez’s perfectly timed overhand right..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

It was a good card on sky Saturday night. 3 very evenly matched fights. Happy the Mexican didn’t get robbed on the cards too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Enjoyed the Valdez fight and while not the promised war it was engaging. Berchelt did look one dimensional and getting down to weight and going up a stone made him look stodgy. Even though the reigning Champ was favourite Valdez is obviously soaking up the knowledge of Reynoso and Canelo as he was quicker and sharper than ever in his biggest career win. The similarity with the Warrington fight was there as in the same round Berchelt was clearly badly hurt with a savage left and follow up uppercut in what was technically a knockdown. Berchelt wobbled back to his corner but was allowed to continue and had his best round in the next but he was probably working from memory. The ending was inevitable really and it was good to hear Berchelt was released from hospital. However a statement loss like that will be very hard to recover from mentally.

Couldnt help but think of JoHn Joe Nevin when Valdez was being interviewed after!

For ****s and giggles I got the last 3 rounds of the Broner fight and unsurprisingly it was awful as he just goign through the motions to get paid. There was some controvery with the scoring but I didnt see, and dont want to see, the first 9 rounds! Predictably the post fight interview was the most entertaining as Showtime let him spiel off the usual delusions of grandeur.

Dan Rafael wrote a very good piece that is the wreckage of AB:

https://danrafael.substack.com/p/valdez-berchelt-broner-santiago-and

Broner really is ghetto trash!

Never beat a single world class fighter, (includes DeMarco) and lost every time he faced anyone good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

walshb wrote: »
    Broner really is ghetto trash!

Never beat a single world class fighter, (includes DeMarco) and lost every time he faced anyone good!

Watching Maidana beat him was great. I think that might have been his first loss.

Advertisement