Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boxing Thread 20/02 (Kelly v Avanesyan, Valdez v Berchelt, Wallin v Breazeale etc)

• 20-02-2021 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭

Some really good fights tonight.

Fancy Kelly to fight a very conservative fight and take it by decision on the Sky card but should be a tough step up for him and might get ropey late for him. Think both fighters are getting a bit overrated in the lead up tbh.

Valdez v Berchelt should be a good war. Think Berchelt should just have a bit too much and possibly stop Valdez late. Both guys are hittable though can see both getting hurt at points.

Like Wallin to beat Breazeale probably on points in a decently matched heavyweight fight.

Adrien Broner also returning, more motivated than ever apparently...

Also see Sean McComb got beat last night. Still think he's got a lot of talent but needs a half decent trainer. Any Danny Vaughan fighter seems to have a gas tank of about 4 rounds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Good fights yea. I think Kelly. I see it got tasty at the weigh in. I think Kelly will be far too big for him so I think KO 9.

Dunno much about either Valdez or Berchelt so I’ll ponder that one.

I agree I think Wallin wins this one on points but Breazeale will be very dangerous. We’ll know more about Wallin if his good showing against Fury was a flash in the pan or not. It’s an excellent match up and it sets up the Whyte Pov fight in a fortnight well.

Should a commentator referencing Rocky III to back up a point be a sackable offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,573 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Some really good fights tonight.

Fancy Kelly to fight a very conservative fight and take it by decision on the Sky card but should be a tough step up for him and might get ropey late for him. Think both fighters are getting a bit overrated in the lead up tbh.

Valdez v Berchelt should be a good war. Think Berchelt should just have a bit too much and possibly stop Valdez late. Both guys are hittable though can see both getting hurt at points.

Like Wallin to beat Breazeale probably on points in a decently matched heavyweight fight.

Adrien Broner also returning, more motivated than ever apparently...

Also see Sean McComb got beat last night. Still think he's got a lot of talent but needs a half decent trainer. Any Danny Vaughan fighter seems to have a gas tank of about 4 rounds.

McComb is an amateur in the pro game..

Nothing on his shots last night. He’s just not a pro!! Hasn’t got near the overall game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Morrison J

walshb wrote: »
    McComb is an amateur in the pro game..

Nothing on his shots last night. He’s just not a pro!! Hasn’t got near the overall game.

Yeah very true. Classic case of a guy who could've been a solid Olympian that's head was turned by MTK money who'll form him into nothing but a pro journeyman. Shame.

Big strong unit this Fisher fella. Looked pretty useful. One to watch down the line.

• Advertisement

Anyone watching Robbie Davis Jr? He’s in a contest here after being dropped and looking weird in the corner. If he can hold it together he’s got the beating of this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Anyone watching Robbie Davis Jr? He’s in a contest here after being dropped and looking weird in the corner. If he can hold it together he’s got the beating of this guy.

Another dodge decision coming in...Davis Jr running for the last 4 rounds and pot shotting..

Mexican lad is no ali but has been more effective for me

So 10 rounds..one a 10-8 and Mexican guy took 4 others in my book clearly...anything worse than a win is impossible imo

But its Eddie's backyard so who knows

So 10 rounds..one a 10-8 and Mexican guy took 4 others in my book clearly...anything worse than a win is impossible imo

But its Eddie's backyard so who knows

I thought this one was closer than last week’s. I thought DAvis ahead by 1 going into the last round.

Right result Imo

• Advertisement

No complaints about that especially for the performance in the final round. Good fight. The fact that the boxer was arguing with his corner shows he hasn’t much faith in the tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭megadodge

I agree with Johnny Nelson here, I thought Davies didn't look comfortable as a southpaw. Kept getting caught with the straight right hand and was asking his corner to change from early on.

Strange decision to keep him as a southpaw.

If Davies was a ticket seller or a younger prospect type on the up he'd have got that decision 100%

megadodge wrote: »
    I agree with Johnny Nelson here, I thought Davies didn't look comfortable as a southpaw. Kept getting caught with the straight right hand and was asking his corner to change from early on.

Strange decision to keep him as a southpaw.

I’m with you on that too. He was getting through with an incredibly soft jab but so open to a big right hand so there wasn’t much value in it. Had his best moments fighting up close when style choice didn’t matter much. Winnable fight yet lucky not to get iced too

Morrison J wrote: »
    If Davies was a ticket seller or a younger prospect type on the up he'd have got that decision 100%

Davies is very popular in the Liverpool area.

I wonder if the Kiko scorecards last week made the judges aware of the fact that they are under serious scrutiny now, with people not afraid to state their unhappiness with unfair scores, even Sky pundits.

megadodge wrote: »
    Davies is very popular in the Liverpool area.

I wonder if the Kiko scorecards last week made the judges aware of the fact that they are under serious scrutiny now, with people not afraid to state their unhappiness with unfair scores, even Sky pundits.

He's not headline an arena material though like Ritson is in Newcastle for example. I dont think there's enough to be gained from a Davies win for the bad press to be worth the dodgy cards.

Marku on top of Charlton so far in the Welterweight contest. He’s some character.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Marku on top of Charlton so far in the Welterweight contest. He’s some character.

He boxing much better tonight, still not sure about him though

This fight is over.

This fight is over.

Wups! He did very well in that 5th great heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

This is a great fight.

ASOT wrote: »
    This is a great fight.

Excellent! That knock down has really livened it up. Well done to Charlton.

Excellent! That knock down has really livened it up. Well done to Charlton.

Yep it's woken him up big time.

Regardless of how it finishes, Charlton is as gutsy and courageous a fighter as I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Fair play to the corner there. Good to see.

Great cornering there.

Really enjoyed that one.

Pity for Charlton there but great corner work he wasn’t firing back. Marku was more than relieved there as well. Good character surely but I’ve never been a fan of that level of teasing an opponent. Great fight

Go on then Benn Mr Prospect take this boy on.

Can't stand Benn.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see Marku fight Conor Benn.

It would be a cracker.

Advertisement