Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's in the Coffee?

Options
  • 06-03-2021 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

I've noticed in the last few months the a fair few people drinking take away coffee when out walking, the queues at the coffee shops seem to be growing by the day, i passed one in Grattan street at 8.15 this morning and there was already a queue, what is so special about the coffee that you have to stand in the cold to buy one? (I'm not a coffee lover so don't really get the trend).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Caffeine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I would suspect it isn't the coffee, it's being bloody bored out of ones mind with nothing to do and nowhere to go for nigh on 6 months now that the only escape from 4 walls might very well queueing in the cold for a coffee and going for a walk around the ghost town that is Sligo, or any town right now.

Hopefully not for much longer, and those businesses can make money selling more than cups of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

I get what you are saying OP, and I think it's been going on well before the C19 lock down.

The coffee culture has been en vogue for a good while now and I appreciate that's probably because of the availability of different types and the social aspect to it which is great. The 21st century equivelant of tea and jam scones eaten at a linen covered table for 4.

What does leave my head scratching is the folk you see walking along, in most cases rapidly, appearing to me to be taking quick slurps out of a paper cup. Maybe that is as suggested by Muffler, a caffeine fix.

rizzodun wrote: »
    the only escape from 4 walls might very well queueing in the cold for a coffee
    rizzodun wrote: »
    Hopefully not for much longer, and those businesses can make money selling more than cups of coffee.
    Bit of a contradiction there? :)

The coffee culture has been en vogue for a good while now
    There's a large element of that in my opinion. It has indeed become the trendy thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Coffee and coffee houses were very popular in the middle east in the 1500s and became very over here and the UK in the 1600s. It's strange how things seem to repeat themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭pummice

Yes, Coffee Cup Guy and Coffee Cup Girl have been a thing for a while now. They like to be seen proudly holding their cups, in their native environment, walking to work, at lunch break, or queuing at the bank ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Think the one on grattan street only opens as 8.30.

Always been a small queue for a few years now around that time for it.
    It's a trendy spot to be seen getting your coffee in....and it's an addiction (caffine)...I'm told it tastes good too (Not a coffee drinker)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

muffler wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction there? :)

Not sure, I'd happily sit indoors in a cafe having a face to face chat with a mate than sit at home and talk to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

pummice wrote: »
    Yes, Coffee Cup Guy and Coffee Cup Girl have been a thing for a while now. They like to be seen proudly holding their cups, in their native environment, walking to work, at lunch break, or queuing at the bank ATM.

And dumping their cup and sandwich wrapper in the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

....and over the sand dunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

It is not that long back that I got funny looks and sarcastic comments at work when I arrived at my desk with a steaming cardboard mug, Sligo got its first shot of coffee culture back in the mid-nineties with the opening of Bar Bizzare on Market St, though the Ritz had a cappuccino machine for a long time before that.

Advertisement