Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford Airport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    So no staff is currently on pup etc?

That's a cop out if I've ever seen one.

You cannot possibly equate a pandemic payment, available to the furloughed employees of all employers in the state, as being direct state funding, at least in the sense we're talking about.

If that's the point you make, it completely decimates everything else you've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JCX BXC wrote:
    If that's the point you make, it completely decimates everything else you've said.

Say wha?

You'd be living on cloud cuckoo land if you think a major airport such as dublin is completely self sufficient, how did all its critical infrastructure such as water works, electricity, broadband etc etc, get there, and is continually serviced? Such critical transport infrastructure requires both state and private sector supports in order to exist and function, I'd imagine there's very few, if any, such facilities on the planet that are completely self sufficient, but of course, I could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In fairness, I had not properly read the post you were replying to.

However, the standard is realistically, do they receive more support than a standard, private institution. Not, did the DOT build roads connecting the airport or did the ESB connect power lines. It is no less self sufficient than your local supermarket.

Anyways, I'm not sure what this has to do with WAT. I appreciate you didn't bring it up, but it's like comparing apples and oranges.

There shouldn't be a necessity that the airport be fully self sufficient, I'm not sure anyone/many are advocating for that, however it can't be a colossal waste of money either, it's simply not a suitable time to plan an international airport. Building it to stimulate reaction in private sector construction doesn't quite meet the mark either.

JCX BXC wrote:
    There shouldn't be a necessity that the airport be fully self sufficient, I'm not sure anyone/many are advocating for that, however it can't be a colossal waste of money either, it's simply not a suitable time to plan an international airport. Building it to stimulate reaction in private sector construction doesn't quite meet the mark either.

An international airport, not a suitable time, what do you mean by these statements? With rates at record lows, there's never been a better time, we 're practically being given the stuff, money that is! Most public works is in fact done by the private sector, so I've no clue where you're going with that either? This is where the state can shine, the state actually has the ability to borrow and stimulate the economy, particularly the private sector, waiting around for the market to decide, may never occur. we need to save as many jobs as possible now, and this is where the state can actually be critical in doing so. We need major investments as such, to pull ourselves out of this deflationary spiral

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

hardybuck wrote: »
    It's a stroke of luck that the project didn't get started 12-24 months ago, as it would have been gathering cobwebs. I think that would have killed the airport in the long term - I don't think it can afford any further failures.

The best case scenario, in my opinion, is for the planning application to be approved in the next few weeks, works could start in the summer or autumn, and maybe completed in time for summer 2023.

It's going to take a long time for tourism and the airline sector to recover and I'd be surprised if the addition of extra capacity in Waterford would be attractive or viable before then (or possibly even by then).

Whether it's a stroke of luck or not probably depends on your perspective really. It's probably stroke of luck for the government, they are going to have their hands full after all this supporting all of the operational airports in Ireland that aren't Dublin. The last thing they would have needed is to have just funded yet another regional airport at a time when demand for air travel is going to be down significantly for a few years at least.

It's definitely not a stroke of luck if you are someone who wanted the runway to be extended - it's very difficult to see the justification for it in the near future now regardless of the planning decision, all available aviation funding is going to have to go towards maintaining the existence of the other, already operational airports. Waterford Airport has fallen on the wrong side of the cutoff line now I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭914

^^that's very unfortunate, maybe when new city developments come on stream, expansion will be viable, transport will be critical for their success

No doubt if planning permission is granted the next step will be to try to get the whole thing paid for with public funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

No doubt if planning permission is granted the next step will be to try to get the whole thing paid for with public funds.

I'm surprised pubic funds were ever put aside if investors like that one were involved at all, and if there wasn't an agreement nailed down setting out who was paying for what.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

An Bord Pleannala were to decide on the 26/02/21 ,still no move on it today, can I hear a can?

• Advertisement

An Bord Pleannala were to decide on the 26/02/21 ,still no move on it today, can I hear a can?

If you ring them they'll probably give you an update, but it can take a few days for documents to be uploaded to the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Been quite a few days, seems well buried now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The weekly list is released tonight or tomorrow.

edit - it's tomorrow.
    http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/2021/decided/dec20210226.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

If you ring them they'll probably give you an update, but it can take a few days for documents to be uploaded to the website.

I did, "it's because of the Covid, should be decided within 2 to 3 weeks,but don't hold me to that"

I did, "it's because of the Covid, should be decided within 2 to 3 weeks,but don't hold me to that"

Shameful, we've had over a year to adjust to the new way of working.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭invara

The Irish Times reporting DAA tenders for eight-year €425m upgrade of Dublin Airport.... no recession there.

invara wrote: »
    The Irish Times reporting DAA tenders for eight-year €425m upgrade of Dublin Airport.... no recession there.

Fingers crossed it gets going soon to allow it expand, and allow for more direct flights to long haul destinations.

Fingers crossed it gets going soon to allow it expand, and allow for more direct flights to long haul destinations.

Except to China.

Planning list not yet updated for week ending 5th. Maybe on Monday

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Planning list not yet updated for week ending 5th. Maybe on Monday

It updates on Wednesday afternoon. High profile cases are usually leaked in advance

• Advertisement

WAT has never had a lower profile! :)

Still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Teebor15

It states on the Bord Plenala website that an Oral hearing normally take place for Strategic Infrastructure projects & CPO projects. The runway extension ticks both those boxes, so I would say there is a good chance we'll hear about that before any decision is made.

Teebor15 wrote: »
    It states on the Bord Plenala website that an Oral hearing normally take place for Strategic Infrastructure projects & CPO projects. The runway extension ticks both those boxes, so I would say there is a good chance we'll hear about that before any decision is made.

A month later, they'd better hurry up!

What's the rush really? Would take a few years at least before airlines have rebuilt their operations to the extent that they'd consider a route network from any enlarged version of Waterford Airport. Will be very much about consolidation and survival in the aviation industry for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0419/1210762-regional-airport-funding/

Lots of funding for Regional Airports including a €20 million Pot for Dublin, Cork & Shannon but nothing for Waterford

"The scheme, which has an overall budget of €26m, includes compensation of €20m for the country's state airports (Dublin, Cork and Shannon) in light of Covid impacts in 2020."

I bet those airports don't have to jump through hoops to get access to the loot

Matt Shanahan on WLR talking about the airport on Deise Today at some point (first hour probably)

Matt Shanahan on WLR talking about the airport on Deise Today at some point (first hour probably)

hopefully current developments will get something going in the airport, we ll need functioning transport systems to make all of these developments work

• Advertisement

anything of substance in the conversation, didnt listen at all?

Advertisement