Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tenant Refusing To Pay Rent * MOD WARNING IN POST #1 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

He /She guarantees they will pay the rent of the tenant doesn't. Simple. Fully enforceable.

Guarantees are complex legal agreements. Have a read....

https://www.mccannfitzgerald.com/knowledge/asset-management-and-investment-funds/guarantees-robust-or-bust

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

fliball123 wrote: »
    I would get a plumber in on the QT and play dumb, get a sparks in and do the same. A lot of this can be done from outside the property.

And then he calls a plumber, and a sparks, and gets them reconnected? It's their home in the eyes of the law (and the ESB, and Irish Water) whether they are paying rent or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

DubCount wrote: »
    I'm not sure the guarantee is even legally enforceable. A contract usually requires consideration on all sides - everyone gives something and takes something. In this case the guarantor is giving something, but receiving nothing.

Which is why most guarantees in the commercial world are structured as deeds or the guarantor is made party to the entire contract and the guarantee is stated to be in consideration of the grant of the facility (lease in this case) to a person for who the guarantor accepts responsibility. Anyone with any sense would also insist on a first demand guarantee, ie I don’t have to pursue the defaulter before claiming from the guarantor.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Hypothetical situation....

The house was a builder's finish. The tradesmen haven't been paid.

The tradesmen knock on the door demanding they take out the kitchen because they have not been paid by the landlord.

Landlord says there is nothing he can do as he hasn't got the money to pay them due to no rent coming in.

How would this end up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

ring esb tell them to cut the power off...

Nozebleed wrote: »
    ring esb tell them to cut the power off...

Legally cannot do that.

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hypothetical situation....

The house was a builder's finish. The tradesmen haven't been paid.

The tradesmen knock on the door demanding they take out the kitchen because they have not been paid by the landlord.

Landlord says there is nothing he can do as he hasn't got the money to pay them due to no rent coming in.

How would this end up?

Tenant tells them to fnck off & closes door in their face. Or he doesn't open the door to them.

If they break in or gain entry with keys tenant involves AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I remember in the States years ago the landlord would look at your TRW - now FICO, credit rating and low score meant no chance of renting. If you failed to pay rent the landlord could report you to them as being in default so that was a major disincentive for people not to pay.
    Could that work here?

• Advertisement

Some of the worst advice I've ever seen on this thread, hahaha.

Ok, how about you turn up at night and remove just one brick. Then return every night and repeat this process. Before they know it, the tenant will find themselves outside.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

DubCount wrote: »

Anyone wondering why Landlords are selling up while rents are at record high levels - read this thread.

Anyone considering being a landlord - read this thread.

Anyone seeking a ban on evictions..... you get the idea.

Not that I disagree with most of that, cant see why anyone seeking a ban evictions care to know this? they would already be in a place of inexperience and likely not connected with the reality of renting out a property.
    OP, definitely go the legit route and start on it ASAP, even try talk to the tenant, by no means (in my opinion) offer the tenant any money (not yet), if you can still keep them on talking terms great, tell them you cant sustain paying your costs with them not paying rent and have they looked at what options there might be ie rent allowance etc, tell them you'll still go ahead with the RTB route as you're in a bind yourself, but if they can get Rent allowance or whatever in place then you'll do as much to help them (assuming you think thats an option).

You dont actually know if he has applied for HAP or Rent allowance or if he lost his job (although its not your concern, it has become your problem)

It might be unlikely, but dont assume he knows about these options
    (and ,while his marriage isnt your concern, it is causing you a problem)
    if its a legit problem, and he is all over the place because of it, you might be better to try help him get something sorted for your own sake.

Even if you are taking the tenant on in the RTB, it is still good if you can keep them on side so to speak, it might even light a fire under any rent application (and you could say that to the tenant) as SW or whoever deals with HAP (council) might not make it a priority if there is nothing to make it urgent.
    Its quite possible the tenant are in a difficult financial situation (not that that should be your burden), I dont fully know what the steps are anymore (they appear to have changed, and I prefer to forget my experience, even though it wasnt the worst I heard of from others).
    Another poster has given a list of steps, I quoted them at the end of this my post.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    What happens if you need to evict someone because you need to move into the house yourself with your own family?

You have to wait until they leave or are removed.

dalyboy wrote: »
    Is your agent taking any responsibility for your situation? (Was it the agent that vetted the tenant in the 1st place ?)

It may very well depend on that contract, the agent may be responsible for getting the tenant in only, or in this case it sounds like collecting rent also. I would hardly think it includes pursuing the tenant or guaranteeing rent, but if there were delays in informing the landlord the OP might have some small recourse, but I wouldnt consider thats where the OP should focus their attention and in fact see if the Agent has any input/support/recommended solicitors etc. If I was the Op and they are asking what to do (ie dont know), Id get a solicitor familiar with the RTB and lettings and start taking action now.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    probably needs to considering paying a bribe of at least 5 k and possibly 10 k , eviction process will cost most landlords the guts of 20 k in lost income so 10 k would be relatively cheap

I wouldnt recommend any of this, Id at least try get them out legitimately first before making any kind of suggestion, If ever it comes up, and the tenant hints at it, Id see what they say, Id always have my phone on record when speaking to them, just to have a record so they cant accuse the OP of anything, phone mics arent always great so dont make it obvious.

kian163 wrote: »
    As someone above suggests you need to follow the new 10 step process while emergency periods (5km restrictions) are in place.

1. First of all you need to send a 28 day warning letter to the tenant and also send a copy to the RTB. The 28 days will not begin till the tenant and the RTB both receive a copy.

2. After this is dependent on the actions of you and the tenant. There are options for you both to send in self declarations due to hardship. The tenant is also required to engage with the RTB, MABS and the landlord.

3. If the tenant does not engage a 28 day termination notice can be issued once the initial 28 days are up. If they do engage and provide a self declaration the termination notice must be 90 days. Again the RTB must be forwarded any notices or else they become invalid.

In theory with a non engaging tenant you are looking at 56 days notice. In reality it's very different.

OP, this guy, follow this advice and imo get a solicitor

Not sure if it is relevant how long the tenant is there so far if they aren't paying and opening an RTB case for non payment.

Reading this, didnt know there were extra conditions regarding starting the process, its stressful to deal with, realistically you are unlikely to come out of this not losing money, its never easy to deal with, but not impossible, always keep your cool or if you're quieter person, just state things matter of fact. I lost less then others mentioned in this thread, but I couldnt afford it at the time, ended up with Banks threatening me with legal action (and that was after the tenant left) just my situation was somewhat dire trying to stay afloat, took it on the chin, but definitely stressed, saw how things were changing and got out, but even then I hadnt predicted how they would change.

It ends eventually, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Well something along those lines but with a little less permanent damage!

You can't do that with a tenant.

Seems to be free pass for illegal advice on the accom forum.

Some of the worst advice I've ever seen on this thread, hahaha.

Ok, how about you turn up at night and remove just one brick. Then return every night and repeat this process. Before they know it, the tenant will find themselves outside.

Problem solved.

Court will make you rebuild then give it back to the tenant perhaps with 10-20k fine. To the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

As the laws began to tighten against landlords, I have sold off the majority of these properties mainly to owner occupiers.
    As Sinn Fein look likely to be in power next time round,I hope to sell off the remaining properties before then.
    Anybody contemplating buying a property to rent in this country would want their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭PommieBast

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I remember in the States years ago the landlord would look at your TRW - now FICO, credit rating and low score meant no chance of renting. If you failed to pay rent the landlord could report you to them as being in default so that was a major disincentive for people not to pay.
    Could that work here?
    It would work, but it is also basically illegal. In the past proxies for credit rating such as "Rent Allowance Not Accepted" or requiring an employment reference are not permitted any more.

What would actually work is the UK system: Three months unpaid rent means mandatory eviction.

At some point they'll stop LL from selling at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Why would he offer the tenant money to move out? That's such a stupid suggestion. Follow the rules + instigate the eviction. Worst case scenario, you lose a few months rent? Hardly that big of a deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

LawBoy2018 wrote:
    Why would he offer the tenant money to move out? That's such a stupid suggestion. Follow the rules + instigate the eviction. Worst case scenario, you lose a few months rent? Hardly that big of a deal...

Could be a choice between paying 5k to the tenant or losing 20k between lost rent and legal fees.

dubrov wrote: »
    Could be a choice between paying 5k to the tenant or losing 20k between lost rent and legal fees.

Where would the legal fees come from? He can serve the eviction notice himself. Surely his agent has advised him of this route?

• Advertisement

dubrov wrote: »

Also might be two years before you can sell the property.

Also might be two years before you can sell the property.

Did he mention how long the tenant has been renting his property?

The agreement you make between yourself and the tenant counts for nothing. There is no point in drawing up an agreement between landlord and tenant. It is a waste of paper.

The RTB decides the rules.

I personally think that in recent years people have become less honest, and are prepared to break agreements and refuse to pay rent, as there are no consequences.

I don't think this would have happened in years gone by.

The agreement you make between yourself and the tenant counts for nothing. There is no point in drawing up an agreement between landlord and tenant. It is a waste of paper.

The RTB decides the rules.

I personally think that in recent years people have become less honest, and are prepared to break agreements and refuse to pay rent, as there are no consequences.

I don't think this would have happened in years gone by.

Eh, or they could be sued? There's so much misinformation in this thread.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Eh, or they could be sued? There's so much misinformation in this thread.

Who could be sued?

Who could be sued?

Who do you think? Lol honestly..

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Who do you think? Lol honestly..

Do you mean the tenant?

beauf wrote: »

This is what's going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Well this thread is eye opening. I'm not sure I'd consider being a landlord after reading this, or maybe the screening process for tenants is hugely important, get tenants with secure government jobs where their income isn't likely to be affected by external factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

beauf wrote: »
    I think the day is coming where you won’t be allowed to evict a tenant just to sell your property. You’ll have to sell it with a sitting tenant. Which is why I’m trying to get out this year. But a six month notice period could easily become eight or ten months with lockdowns.

Advertisement