Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish purchaser buying from Amazon.co.uk for delivery as gift to address in Scotland

Options
  • 13-01-2021 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I'm in Ireland (with Irish credit card and Revolut addresses).

My brother in Scotland has a birthday next week. Given that An Post's capacity to do anything with parcels seems to be just overwhelmed at the moment, I was thinking I'd order something from amazon.co.uk (no idea what yet!), to be delivered by Amazon as a gift directly to his address in Scotland.

However, I vaguely remember some kind of story going round that gift recipients could be hit for VAT/duties at the point of delivery. Would this be a thing because the purchaser (me) is in Ireland even though the delivery address is in the UK?

If so, is there a way I can be sure everything necessary is paid at the point of purchase so there are no surprises, as obviously I don't want my brother having to pay anything for his gift?

All advice welcome! Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Scotland is the UK, so nothing to with Irish VAT. Just buy and get it delivered with Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

Thanks - that sounds good. I was just a bit concerned that they would base the calculation of charges on the fact the purchaser was in Ireland (identifiable from my card payment) even though the delivery address was in the UK.

Advertisement