Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon.co.uk item purchased pre-Brexit. Irish VAT/Duty due?

• 12-01-2021 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just wondering if any boardsies might know where I stand with a purchase from Amazon.co.uk of a Sony Soundbar for a sale price of £46 on 25 December (UK VAT included). I am a Prime customer so no delivery charge.

I got it delivered to my Addresspal as Amazon would not deliver it to Ireland. Given the time of year, I expected delivery to be slow, but was in no rush and understood that because the transaction was completed before end of December (Brexit) that I would not be liable for Irish VAT.

Got a notification from Addresspal that the parcel is with them as of yesterday Monday 11th January and my card was charged the Addresspal fee of €6.50. All grand...

Then late last night I received a Customs Charge notification from An Post of VAT of €22 due and An Post's handling fee of €3.50. Ouch!

Am I right to think that I should not be liable for these charges as the sale was completed before Brexit? And furthermore, how could they have arrived at an item valuation of €105 when I only paid £46?

I paid the fee last night as I do still want the soundbar and my bit of research seems to indicate that I must pay the customs charge before appealing with Customs/Revenue.

I guess I am just putting the question out there to see where I might stand before I go appealing to Customs/Revenue.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod - Read the attached thread that was put up because of all these questions.

Post Brexit

Amazon probably didn't put an invoice in the box. You pay the VAT and then start a claim with Customs. They don't normally care when it was bought, it is the date of import.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement