Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling on Adverts - Accepting non-cash payments

Options
  • 08-01-2021 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

I've advertised something for €5 on Adverts, someones made an offer of €10, if I can post.

It costs An Post €3.20 to deliver (they're happy with unregistered post) so I'm asking €8.20.

I'm wondering has anyone here sold on Adverts before, and how do you setup non-cash payments? I have a Paypal account but have no idea how to send someone my account details, and if it's safe to do so? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I've advertised something for €5 on Adverts, someones made an offer of €10, if I can post.

It costs An Post €3.20 to deliver (they're happy with unregistered post) so I'm asking €8.20.

I'm wondering has anyone here sold on Adverts before, and how do you setup non-cash payments? I have a Paypal account but have no idea how to send someone my account details, and if it's safe to do so? :confused:

Yes have done it loads of times.. all you need to do is give them your paypal address

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

FionnK86 wrote: »

Use Revolut if you have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Use Revolut if you have it?

I don't unfortunately, all my mates do. Maybe it's time! :D

Yes have done it loads of times.. all you need to do is give them your paypal address

Thanks Chief! :cool:

If I send it, and get postage cert. (which I believe is allowed), could they easily cancel payment and I'd be screwed?

It's only €5 item so not too concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Get them to pay you using Paypal's 'friends and family' option.
    They cannot open a dispute or claim back their payment.

It also removes the Paypal fees, which you as the recipient would incur.
    Personally, I would never send stuff without a tracking number. I use An post, Parcel motel, etc but always Tracked.
    Unless you have 'proof of delivery' Paypal will usually side with the Buyer.

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Get them to pay you using Paypal's 'friends and family' option.
    They cannot open a dispute or claim back their payment.

It also removes the Paypal fees, which you as the recipient would incur.
    Personally, I would never send stuff without a tracking number. I use An post, Parcel motel, etc but always Tracked.
    Unless you have 'proof of delivery' Paypal will usually side with the Buyer.

I didn't think of that, but they're experienced buyer so I'd say they would've refused.

I've since received payment to my PayPal and have requested it into account, the full amount seems to have been sent so I wonder will PayPals take come out when it arrives in my bank A/C.

I didn't register as it would've cost more than the guy wanted to buy it for but they do offer postage. certs. so I've sent buyer screenshot as proof of postage.

Now that payment has arrived in my paypal account, am I safe, or could they potentially receive post and then cancel payment a few days later?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I use revolut or PayPal all the time on adverts. Even the last couple of times when collecting items the seller has been happy with recolut

I use revolut or PayPal all the time on adverts. Even the last couple of times when collecting items the seller has been happy with recolut

Hi LollipopJimmy, that's good to know, it seems to be most common practice.

If PayPal money arrives in my account, can they take it back? I'm worried that package could arrive Monday and then they request chargeback. I trust this particular customer, but for future?

Hi, if you received the exact amount that you asked for it's possible the buyer did send it through friends and family. Otherwise you should see a PayPal charge for fees.
    The only real way to avoid a chargeback or dispute in the future is to use registered post (or parcel motel if an item is too large to post cheaply).
    TBH I wouldn't worry too much about a chargeback in this instance as the amount is so small.

Edit : if I remember correctly the senders address won't show up on PayPal if they paid you through friends and family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Accept the tenner. For the sake of the extra 1.80, will pay your petrol. Be warned that if you send it ordinary post, buyer can claim non delivery and get a refund from paypal. Paypal are known for allowing claims like this.

A way around this is to insist on payment as family or friends. This stops that scenario, but may cause a fee to be applied to the buyer. If you accept normal payment of a tenner, after paypal hits you with a possible fee, you will get less than that.
    I insist on friends and family, revolut or bank transfer, it is the buyers choice then.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

• Advertisement

Hi folks.
    1. I accepted offer from seller.
    2. Received PayPal (full amount) on Friday night.
    3. Posted (standard) Saturday morning.
    4. Sent postage cert. onto buyer.
    5. Moved full amount from PayPal into bank A/C Monday.
    6. Buyer contacted this morning to say they'd received.

Thank you for all your help the last few days. :D

Glad to hear it went well for you.
    The main thing is to try and use a tracked service in future.
    It is much more reassuring If you have proof that a buyer received an item.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

If someone refuses to use postage with tracking, only accept friends and family payment with paypal or use revolut.

Advertisement