Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭This is it

Best to speak to your solicitor I would say, it'll depend what's in the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Anyone here that is on a carers payment or their spouse?

PTSB asking an awful lot of pointless questions imo.

We sent in my gov statements in the beginning , detailing my partners payments and frequency.

Now they have come back wanting to know the nature of my childs illness, the term of the payment, and that my partner is allowed work 18 hours ( anyone that claims carers is allowed work 18.5 hrs , this is common knowledge or can be easily found out without looking for a letter from the social welfare confirming same) . They also want to know what payments she is on and amounts ( already sent this).

Just seems like a lot of hassle considering they made it clear they DONT take her carers allowance into account when doing the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I find that incredibly annoying. All banks should have to take into account any social payment you receive when it comes to mortgages. Especially if you’re a carer.

I find it strange that with a 3 year old and 2 year old in our household they don’t take into account the €280 we receive monthly. I know this all stops when they’re 18 but you’re guaranteed this payment in some way for the next 15/16 years. Half your mortgage length in reality.

Exactly. They are literally getting us to jump through hoops for something that wont impact the mortgage.

The broker cannot shed any light as to why they are looking for so much info either.

Its extremely difficult to even get through to Social welfare on the phone, and then to ask them to write a bespoke letter detailing the different points they want addressed.

Just got off the phone with PTSB. Just a normal mortgage chat. She mentioned that we’d need a 20% because we’re second time buyers as our income is 90k and my credit card limit is a factor even though it’ll be cleared…… she went on to say that all banks have this rule that your disposable income means its 20% deposit. I’ve seen nothing on the central bank website that states this. The only thing they state is that the bank can ask for a 15% deposit if you want to borrow over your 4/3.5 your income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Dante

I'm open to correction here but that doesn't make sense to me. You can only be classed as a second time buyer if you have already taken out a mortgage for a property in the past.

we will be second time buyers, but nowhere have I seen the 20% deposit mentioned. Every calculator you use online now is 10% if your a FTB/STB and 30% for buy to let. Not one other bank has mentioned this

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭crinkley

LTV is always higher for second time borrower surely unless things have changed recently

They have. The rule went from 20% to 10% FTB can borrow 4 times salary with 10% deposit and STB is 3.5 times salary with 10% deposit

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Booking deposits are not binding, did you not get asked for more on exchange of contracts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭theboringfox

The central bank rule went to that. Each bank is free to set own policy. With market softening, they may not want to go to 90% ltv on all second time buyers. But Id be surprised if thats the case tbh. Definitely worth double checking with them and go with another bank that offers it if they dont.

Id chat with bank recently and our biggest issue now is the Sensitivity testing. We have to show evidence of savings equivalent to sensitised repayment and its absolutely massive. Dont know how people borrow up to 3.5x. When we had AIP 6 months ago it was non issue but now basically we have to show lot more in monthly savings. Mad times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Has anyone experience in a refusal due to overdraft? It is the only thing i'm worried about and although we have AIP with AIB (both our primary bank), I understand that their AIP is based on nothing really.

I regularly use my overdraft but it is cleared bi-weekly and the small loan I do have (3k as things stand) has never seen a payment missed. Jointly we have about 20k in savings and 30k htb, plus we pay rent monthly without fail that amounts to more than our mortgage monthly at the current highest rate.

We're all good I think other than my overdraft. Overdraft has been pre-arranged, i'm not overdrawing without the facility.

Beverly Hills, California

you have nothing to worry about by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

We are in a similar boat, we were hit with the last hike and really hoping not to be hit with this one. We are buying a second hand property so as far as I can see we have everything in order. Contracts signed, mortgage protection and home insurance are now in place, all mortgage documentation signed and our solicitor has requested the drawdown yesterday. They advised it can take up to 14 days for receipt of funds to their client account. With Good Friday and Easter Monday Im a bit worried, but hopefully will be in time. Was in touch with our BoI mortgage advisor and he has said he doesnt need anything additional from us at the moment, we were expected to be asked for recent payslips so will have them at the ready.

Friends of ours are in the same position, and their request went in last week so they are a few days ahead of us, so once their funds come through will be hopefully ours wont be too far after all going well.

At the 11th hour on the last increase other friends of ours were drawing down and bank said they were missing a document, which their solicitor has said was sent in, so they had to have it re-signed and resubmitted, thankfully they got it in just in time, so really hoping the same doesnt happen in our case.

Will keep you posted! Would love to hear from others in same position and how long it took

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

It kind of is taken into account. Your NDI (Net Disposable Income) calculations are impacted by the number of kids you have. If childrens allowance wasn't a thing, it would be more impacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

It's stressful. The house isn't finished yet, but we're told it should be ready in 2 weeks. We have everything submitted also and our solicitor has requested funds on May 2.

Hopefully we make the deadline now. It's the uncertainty that's a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aislingm999

Just waiting to get our final valuation done on our house(new build) in order to drawdown. Once the final valuation is done should drawdown happen within a few days after ? Or does the final valuation need to go to the underwriters to review first ? And does this take long...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cjay0512

Hi Guys,

Looking into moving home and selling our current home. Anyone any insight on the whole buying/selling at the same time thing - do the banks require the deposit again or do they agree to let you use the money from the sale of current house? I know all the stars need to align but we won’t have any trouble selling current home as it’s a new build and it’s worth more than the mortgage that’s on it

The uncertainly is absolutely killing us too, it feels like the entire process is just waiting for one thing and another, and its totally out of our control.

Our request went in last Wed and it wasn't even up on the system yesterday afternoon as advisor called. With Good Friday and Easter Monday there seems to be a backlog of funding requests, along with probably a lot going in at this time anyhow trying to get in ahead of the rate increase.

Advisor said that once approved, funds are released in about 48 hours, but I assume that is with the request up on the system and checked, and any final docs requested and reviewed.

I know there is still time, but there is another week gone with no progress made....it is excruciating!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 acia

Currently saving for deposit (post divorce), just checked my credit report and twice during past 5 years I exceeded €700 agreed overdraft (closed in October 2022), I have otherwise clean report of mortgage payments (no longer on mortgage) l. Will this overdraft issues prevent me getting loan approval?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭This is it

It won't help but that's not to say it'll definitely cause issues. The bank will likely question it, have a good reason for them and hopefully they accept and move past it.

After our docs seemingly going missing, they are finally on the BoI system, 1.5 weeks after posting. Hopefully process will be swift from here now

Post edited by Mimojo on

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Hi all we've just gone sale agreed so need to apply for full loan offer. Broker has presented us with the various options over different terms. What are people's opinions on going with either a 3 or 5 years fixed? I know no one can predict how interest rates will go but just curious how other people are approaching it who are in a similar position

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

On this...what are peoples view on the variable rates - consistently lower rates for several years now...?

We are going 5 year fixed also. I guess its very hard to know, but for us the certainly of the repayment amount over a 5 year period gives some kind of comfort, with the hope that after the 5 years the interest rates will hopefully be on the way down, but who can tell really

They haven't really been consistently lower. They've been lower in AIB, they've been higher everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

Really? - Higher than their fixed rates?? Care to name one of the banks you're taking about?

Off the top of my head (and this is up to maybe a year ago, no longer working in that area so not paying as much attention)

PTSB was c. 4%, their fixed were 2-3.5 ish,

KBC was 3.3%, fixed was 2.2-3,

BOI was 3.something, can't remember but their fixed was 2.9 (lower with a good BER cert),

UB, can't remember their variable but they had fixed as low as 2.2 (or was it 2.4?), so I doubt it was less,

Haven and EBS I can't remember, but I do remember them being less than their variable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 dubliner10

AIB have the worst fixed rates currently for 4 years fixed. Green rate is 3.95 and general rate is 4.3%. BOI in comparison is 3.4 and 3.7 respectively. Haven, PTSB, Avant and EBS also lower than AIB rates.

Advertisement