Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General rip off examples

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

$hifty wrote: »
    494561.jpg

Found it.

In fairness, these are €2.59 in tesco, so not a big difference considering the extra costs of a convenience store

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

But I think the biggest rip-off ever invented is the "rounding up" lark, where something is priced at €4.97, you hand in a fiver but get no change.

I remember all the legions of clowns on forums like boards claiming how great an idea it was, and how handy it would be. No concept of the % inflation they conceded to. Turkeys voting for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭jmreire

All of the above explains why Tesco Executives call Ireland " Treasure Island ", never a truer word !!! And I guess they are not the only one's,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

$hifty wrote:
    McHughs Off-Licence Picture below. R.I.P. the old six-for-fiver days

It's a 9% Double IPA which is what they cost.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

high_king wrote: »
    I remember all the legions of clowns on forums like boards claiming how great an idea it was, and how handy it would be. No concept of the % inflation they conceded to. Turkeys voting for Christmas.

4.97 in the quoted example rounds down to 4.95

Unless you specifically only buy one or two items all the time you are very unlikely to end up over or under across an entire year on it.

2c on an average family shop would not even factor in to inflation; not that rounding is even counted in the CPI.

Would you prefer to pay more tax - more per capita than any potential loss of surreal shopping practices - for the state to keep making 1c and 2c coins?

Its more a case of those who don't understand it complaining about it, both before and after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Circle K biggest rip off ever imo. Hate going there in the morning before work. €2 minimum for a bottle of water.

Oh actually in relation to the rounding rule, I was in MR price and bought a couple of things, it came to €5.05, I gave her the fiver and went to look for some change in my purse and she laughed and said 'you're grand, I'm not gonna ask you for 5 cent!'

I was like wtf, didn't realise the rounding rule works the other way, maybe it doesn't and she shouldn't be doing it I thought, who knows! Or is it at retailers discretion?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Circle K biggest rip off ever imo. Hate going there in the morning before work. €2 minimum for a bottle of water.

Oh actually in relation to the rounding rule, I was in MR price and bought a couple of things, it came to €5.05, I gave her the fiver and went to look for some change in my purse and she laughed and said 'you're grand, I'm not gonna ask you for 5 cent!'

I was like wtf, didn't realise the rounding rule works the other way, maybe it doesn't and she shouldn't be doing it I thought, who knows! Or is it at retailers discretion?

€5.05 doesn't round to anything, its still €5.05. Retailer can decide to charge you fractionally less if they want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭pummice

Sadly in Ireland €50 is the new €20

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

jmreire wrote: »
    All of the above explains why Tesco Executives call Ireland " Treasure Island ", never a truer word !!! And I guess they are not the only one's,,,,

So true - my wife’s friends are English and they really are frugal dividing things down to the penny when out together etc . Complaining how expensive things are here etc

pummice wrote: »
    Sadly in Ireland €50 is the new €20

Definitely. Go into the local off licence to get some vodka and cigarettes for before a night out and end up spending €25

Went to the bagel factory today and had €5 change from €20 out of two bagels, one crisps and a soft drink

You really notice it when you go to other countries, anywhere really, Germany for example, transport is cheap as is food in supermarkets, alcohol, fags etc

Even UK, 8 pounds for a box of cigarettes. €13.50 here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Oberkon wrote: »
    So true - my wife’s friends are English and they really are frugal dividing things down to the penny when out together etc . Complaining how expensive things are here etc

That would have been true a few years ago. Its now turned (thanks to aldi & lidl) and a general grocery shop in britain is more expensive (I've just returned after a 12 month stint there)

Of course if you just hone in on offers, you can make a case of x y & z being cheaper while ignoring the offers here of a, b & c. But life can't be lived on special offers alone.

It's also one of the reasons you don't hear of big shopping expeditions to Newry/Enniskillen from all corners of Ireland anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Definitely. Go into the local off licence to get some vodka and cigarettes for before a night out and end up spending €25

Went to the bagel factory today and had €5 change from €20 out of two bagels, one crisps and a soft drink

You really notice it when you go to other countries, anywhere really, Germany for example, transport is cheap as is food in supermarkets, alcohol, fags etc

I still have the odd smoke when am out, I have lads in the office that regularly go to Vilnius so get them to pick me up 200 for €39

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Long time since cigarettes were
    £8 in UK, more like £11/12 currently and have been regarded as more expensive than Ireland for cigarettes for some time.

L1011 wrote: »
    4.97 in the quoted example rounds down to 4.95

Unless you specifically only buy one or two items all the time you are very unlikely to end up over or under across an entire year on it.

2c on an average family shop would not even factor in to inflation; not that rounding is even counted in the CPI.

Would you prefer to pay more tax - more per capita than any potential loss of surreal shopping practices - for the state to keep making 1c and 2c coins?

Its more a case of those who don't understand it complaining about it, both before and after.

and whoosh over you head again . . another Turkey looking forward to Christmas dinner. The actual point you've your head in the sand about, is that we were promised and told we must believe that rounding down would be as common as rounding up, but in the rip off real world . .surprise . . surprise . .this isn't happening as plenty of posters have testified, with shops claiming they are not obliged to round down, but round up whenever it suits them.

and whoosh over you head again . . another Turkey looking forward to Christmas dinner. The actual point you've your head in the sand about, is that we were promised and told we must believe that rounding down would be as common as rounding up, but in the rip off real world . .surprise . . surprise . .this isn't happening as plenty of posters have testified, with shops claiming they are not obliged to round down, but round up whenever it suits them.

What you claim isn't happening and even if it was you might end up down a few cent over a year. Till systems do the rounding automatically and one or two confused posters or posters reporting an occasional mistake doesn't mean it isn't being done properly the bulk of the time. Also - if you think there's any advantage to a retailer in holding on to at most five cent, in coin, on a fraction of transactions you have no idea of the cost and effort of coin handling.

Just pay by card if it annoys you that much. Or ask for your change and probably get 5c back as they don't have the small coins. Which most people will promptly fire in to a jar to never spend again

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Long time since cigarettes were
    £8 in UK, more like £11/12 currently and have been regarded as more expensive than Ireland for cigarettes for some time.

Well NI, then...

Was in Belfast in August and got charged around 8 pounds for a box. To my disbelief.. Guess they've been forgotten about, as per!

I paid over £12 last time I bought 20 Benson in Banbridge. I know they vary a lot more by brand than we do here, what were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

48 euro per kilo Roquefort in Sheridans.

https://sheridanscheesemongers.com/product/roquefort-aoc/

I paid over £12 last time I bought 20 Benson in Banbridge. I know they vary a lot more by brand than we do here, what were they?

Ah, must be because I bought a cheaper brand, Pall Mall or Mayfair or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Eir - ****ing robbing bastards.

Last year I signed up for Eirsports so I could get BT Sports for Sky. It was 240 for 12 months.

During the summer they lost the rights to BT Sport, so my sub was basically useless (although they got the rights back a month later, but refused to put it back in the package). I bought it through Sky again as it was an option.

So anyway, last week the year was up, and they attempted to charge my card for another year (Lucky that card was expired) - 260 they wanted.

The only way to get rid of them was sign up to a 9.99/month deal and cancel after two months (for a service I will never use)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Eir - ****ing robbing bastards.

Last year I signed up for Eirsports so I could get BT Sports for Sky. It was 240 for 12 months.

During the summer they lost the rights to BT Sport, so my sub was basically useless (although they got the rights back a month later, but refused to put it back in the package). I bought it through Sky again as it was an option.

So anyway, last week the year was up, and they attempted to charge my card for another year (Lucky that card was expired) - 260 they wanted.

The only way to get rid of them was sign up to a 9.99/month deal and cancel after two months (for a service I will never use)

Eircon. The scummiest company in Ireland.

What you claim isn't happeningand even if it was you might end up down a few cent over a year. Till systems do the rounding automatically and one or two confused posters or posters reporting an occasional mistake doesn't mean it isn't being done properly the bulk of the time. Also - if you think there's any advantage to a retailer in holding on to at most five cent, in coin, on a fraction of transactions you have no idea of the cost and effort of coin handling.

Just pay by card if it annoys you that much. Or ask for your change and probably get 5c back as they don't have the small coins. Which most people will promptly fire in to a jar to never spend again

Any yet plenty of posts on this thread have testified it has. No one being ripped off is "confused" as you would like to pretend, as the posters here have testified examples where they knew exactly what is going on. Cash is legal tender for now, until those who would like to control and monitor ordinary people going about their private business and confiscate and freeze their money at will have full control . . but they don't yet, so tough.

You have been given two potential methods to avoid losing a whole two cents.

If you think that's a rip off by any standards you live in a bubble.

Our insurance costs (due to huge payouts) are a rip off. Our mortgage rates (due to no repossessions) are a rip off.

People getting worked up and abusive over extremely rare examples of not getting 2c back is not a rip off.

It’s not about the two cents, it’s about them just being allowed to do it. The very way they were allowed to round £1 to 1.50 euro back in the currency change. It represents a wider gouging problem. Going on about the 2 cents is just being flippant to people. It shouldn’t be happening.

It’s not about the two cents, it’s about them just being allowed to do it. The very way they were allowed to round £1 to 1.50 euro back in the currency change. It represents a wider gouging problem. Going on about the 2 cents is just being flippant to people. It shouldn’t be happening.

Except it's *extremely rare*. There are a tiny few complaints about it here - and people don't post when things go right.

Our insurance costs (due to huge payouts) are a rip off. Our mortgage rates (due to no repossessions) are a rip off.

People getting worked up and abusive over extremely rare examples of not getting 2c back is not a rip off.

You mean people won't live in the control bubble you'd like create. Tough.

If you're ripped off by 2% net in every Euro transaction, that's very significant.

Just because you're either a chump or a rip off merchant yourself . . don't expect others to play along.

You mean people won't live in the control bubble you'd like create. Tough.

If you're ripped off by 2% net in every Euro transaction, that's very significant, you're either a chump or a rip off merchant yourself . . but don't expect others to play along.

You spend all your money on 98c products one at a time? Just ask for the change. You'll probably get a 5c coin

Please go grind your axe somewhere else. This is not a widespread issue worthy of this forum. And it is completely avoidable

You can take the conspiracy theories elsewhere too

Except it's *extremely rare*. There are a tiny few complaints about it here - and people don't post when things go right.

It isn't extremely rare. This is one thing you can't Google, it's happening all over the country. Unless it's just happening to me which is unlikely bordering on impossible.

You spend all your money on 98c products one at a time? Just ask for the change. You'll probably get a 5c coin

Please go grind your axe somewhere else. This is not a widespread issue worthy of this forum. And it is completely avoidable

You can take the conspiracy theories elsewhere too

You can pretend what people have posted, pretend there is no issue, and then threaten people when they speak the truth . . but it won't change the truth, so ban whoever you're going to ban with your little censor button.

• Advertisement

It isn't extremely rare. This is one thing you can't Google, it's happening all over the country. Unless it's just happening to me which is unlikely bordering on impossible.

Ask for your change then. Problem solved.

Advertisement