Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people in bedsits avoid getting kitchen/food smell on their clothes?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

the_syco wrote: »

Looks like a good model for sure.

I got temporarily lost in the air-purifier research black hole.

Ended up going with a slightly cheaper model as it's my first time using one and wanted to see how effective it would be for my purposes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics-Purifier-Cleaner-Filter-Allergens/dp/B0882VT6G7/ref=psdc_3147771_t1_B074FZLGZY

I hear great things so, we'll see if it can deliver.

I also got a small dehumidifier as a cherry on top - not known specifically for odor removal but cooking with a deep fryer, they send a lot of water into the air.

Pcgamer wrote: »
    You basically sit der crying in a bedsit, so the smell of your clothes is the least of your worries.

I lived in kne for my first job in Dublin, horrible fecking yokes.

Shared accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Air purifier maybe - with a HEPA and carbon filter. The latter is better for smells.

Big fan and open the window wide even if it's cold.

Unless you boil and steam everything you produce lots of PM2.5 when you cook, which is very bad for your health. If you live and sleep in the same room that you cook in then you spend more time breathing the these damaging particles too.

I lived in a bedsit twice. In one of them I used the shared tumble dryer. In the other I permanently smelled of curry.

grassylawn wrote: »
    Air purifier maybe - with a HEPA and carbon filter. The latter is better for smells.

Big fan and open the window wide even if it's cold.

Unless you boil and steam everything you produce lots of PM2.5 when you cook, which is very bad for your health. If you live and sleep in the same room that you cook in then you spend more time breathing the these damaging particles too.

I lived in a bedsit twice. In one of them I used the shared tumble dryer. In the other I permanently smelled of curry.

I was looking into this, I figure I could create a room sized extractor fan.

It was recommended to simply open a window either side of the room for the draft effect, high external to internal air circulation.

The opinion on a fan by itself seems to be it just pushes the odor about without actually getting rid of it.

Maybe a big ass fan beside an open window, but that would be an experiment.

I was looking into this, I figure I could create a room sized extractor fan.

It was recommended to simply open a window either side of the room for the draft effect, high external to internal air circulation.

The opinion on a fan by itself seems to be it just pushes the odor about without actually getting rid of it.

Maybe a big ass fan beside an open window, but that would be an experiment.
    It does work. DC motors are quiet, AC noisy. You will notice if you have a large fan turned up high.

I have very good air purifiers and they don't work as quickly as opening a large window or door, even without a fan.

• Advertisement

It does work. DC motors are quiet, AC noisy. You will notice if you have a large fan turned up high.

I have very good air purifiers and they don't work as quickly as opening a large window or door, even without a fan.

Of course a good air current will cause air exchange so say, opening a window on opposite sides of a room will naturally reduce odor.

But I'm questioning the addition of a fan into that mix as conferring any additional benefit....?

So, where to you position the fan relative to that?
    Pointed toward the open window?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

Lemons diffuse odours (I place used halved lemons in fridge) as do onions... allegedly.
    I know which I’d prefer.

Of course a good air current will cause air exchange so say, opening a window on opposite sides of a room will naturally reduce odor.

But I'm questioning the addition of a fan into that mix as conferring any additional benefit....?

So, where to you position the fan relative to that?
    Pointed toward the open window?
    I've used a big fresstanding fan in front of a sliding door to good effect.

I've used a big fresstanding fan in front of a sliding door to good effect.

I'm being a nit picker here but, pointing in or out?

i.e. with the idea being to suck air from the outside and direct it inward?

Or taking odors from inside and fan them to the outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

ask the naked chief?

• Advertisement
Advertisement