Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit bill

• 15-01-2021 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭

I ordered a light from a UK company on 28th December. Delivery just arrived along with a bill for tax and a hefty charge from UPS.

Needless to say, I wasn't willing to pay it... And they took my package away with them...

Considering I bought my item in the EU and paid all relevant duties at the time, am I liable for these new charges? The new charges are more than the cost of the item.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

unfortunately yes. they are calculated on arrival of the package not at point of sale on that date.

Now that raises an interesting point. today if you bought it then uk vat should not be levied. But when you bought it it was UK vat as part of the EU.

So is the vat paid to the uk at a time where they were in europe now owed back to the buyer and new vat owed to the country of import (Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭corkie

Sorry to hear you been caught of guard by the 'Brexit Effect'.

Hopefully the site you ordered will refund your purchase once it gets returned to them.

How Brexit affects online buying

Have a read of that thread and others from this sub-forum and https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=583

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I ordered a light from a UK company on 28th December. Delivery just arrived along with a bill for tax and a hefty charge from UPS.

Needless to say, I wasn't willing to pay it... And they took my package away with them...

Considering I bought my item in the EU and paid all relevant duties at the time, am I liable for these new charges? The new charges are more than the cost of the item.

So where did you buy it from. What company and what site?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks all, sounds like it won't be resolved easily. I'll ask for a refund.

The company is just a lighting supplier in the UK. Not a big entity like Amazon

Advertisement