Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not getting paid

• 03-12-2020 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭

I need advice about my wages. Im working part time and supposed to be paid fortnightly. Last pay day I was approached by the manager who told me he forget to put my hours in so I wouldnt be paid until the next pay day, almost a month away. I let it go as mistakes happen, its been a struggle this last month but was holding out for when I got my wages which was supposed to be today.
    Wages never went in, I contacted my manager he apologized that he must have forgotten to put my hours in again. Its coming up to Christmas and I have 11 euro in my bank account, next pay day isnt for another 2 weeks.
    What am I supposed to do?

Comments

What has your manager suggested?
    Keep asking them.

Once is poor, twice is not acceptable.

Don't accept that it will be sorted in two weeks, payroll can make a payment out of cycle.

What size organisation is this?
    Manager might want to fob you off so he doesn't look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Ring Vincent DePaul
    They should help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Not good enough to not pay you. Id talk to your manager then call the payroll directly and ask for your wages to be paid out. Explain you've no money left and need your wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Thanks, @pg633 payments cant be made out of out cycle so im told.
    @beggars bush Thanks but I really dont want to have to go begging for money, I just want this sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I need advice about my wages. Im working part time and supposed to be paid fortnightly. Last pay day I was approached by the manager who told me he forget to put my hours in so I wouldnt be paid until the next pay day, almost a month away. I let it go as mistakes happen, its been a struggle this last month but was holding out for when I got my wages which was supposed to be today.
    Wages never went in, I contacted my manager he apologized that he must have forgotten to put my hours in again. Its coming up to Christmas and I have 11 euro in my bank account, next pay day isnt for another 2 weeks.

Get them to write you a cheque for your wages due. I've seen it done even in large companies where payment is normally directly into your account on a fixed date. If your manager puts up a fight about that then go straight to HR. Your manager messed up and it's his job to fix it immediately. Don't let them fob you off either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I hope this is a decent sized business and not some fraud that just doesnt intend to pay at all.

Of course they can, they just don't want the hassle.
    Who told you that? Manager or payroll/HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

this kinda sh** make my blood boil
    i'd be snapping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Ring Vincent DePaul
    They should help

Before calling SVP, absolutely give the manager hell until he/she does the right thing here and makes a payment out of cycle. It's the run up to Christmas and this cannot be forgotten about.

Twice is shockingly unacceptable. Any imbecile would know that.

Remember the time my old man didn't get paid and he downed tools and sat in the middle of the courtyard on site and made a scene. I was working there on a summer labouring job at the time as a teen. He was paid quick enough then.

this kinda sh** make my blood boil
    i'd be snapping

Im fuming! I was depending on my wages this week, just paid off the car tax & insurance in one go thinking it's fine as im getting paid. He didnt even let me know this time that they didnt go in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

As others have said, you need to kick up an absolute stink about this. Any company - big or small - can work out the sums, and write you a cheque. Even messing up once with wages is not acceptable to me - as you said, people have bills! But twice is beyond ridiculous.

I’d firstly approach the manager and tell them that you literally can’t afford to live until you get paid. If nothing is happening (like with a half day) I’d approach HR in the guise of ‘there seems to be some mistake’. If neither of those yield any immediate results, approach your union. If you don’t have a union, I’d think it’s completely legit to go nuclear tbh. If it’s a small company / family owned place, I would push the emotional side, and then go nuclear.

Absolute bull that it can’t be resolved outside the payroll run. And even if it took them a load of hassle, so what. Anyone can make a mistake, but god you’d hope they’d hold their hands up and resolve it ASAP. But the same mistake twice, and claiming that there is nothing they can do? Bullsh*t.

Mrs O’Bumble on this forum is I think a HR practitioner. Be interested to read her views.

And your manager is either incompetent, or an absolute d*ck, or both. I don’t normally get THAT annoyed when replying to a post, but IMO you are being treated dreadfully. You’ve upheld your end of the deal (working your hours), and your employer has failed miserably at the most basic level (paying you for work completed. TWICE)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I’d be concerned that the company might be going under or about to fold and you will be left with nothing. Send your manager an email saying you need your salary to eat and survive and that s/he will have to make arrangements for it to be paid from petty cash or other sources immediately -
    you cannot wait or go without money you have worked for and earned for six weeks. If s/he replies by phone send a summary email and if it is not the reply you want (ie fob off) go up a level
    on them to HR/payroll. I wouldn’t be hanging around waiting for a reply for longer than a day or two either. Mistake or not S/he’s covering their ass at your expense - I am livid for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is appalling and horrifying - and seriously worrying. Kick up about your wages and keep kicking up until they sort this. Make it clear that waiting until next paydate is absolutely not acceptable to you and they should not waste their time or yours even suggesting it.

But, as soon as this is sorted, polish up your CV and start looking for jobs. The likelihood is that this business is severly cash-strapped, is scrabbling to find cash from day to day, and is going down the tubes. But even if that's not the case, if they are employing managers with this spectacular degree of incompetence, they're likely going down the tubes pretty soon anyway. You don't want to stick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Two very good points from JustAThought: do not be fobbed off, just in case they’re about to go under. But also very important to email everything back to your manager, even off the back of it allegedly being verbally resolved ‘I note that I raised my concerns on x, y, z dates, I still have not been paid for a, b, c dates - and detail the resolution they agreed to.

I wouldn’t wait longer than a half day for action tbh. And if you get a response saying ‘oh it’s with HR / the accountant / the payroll company’ - I’d email them and cc you manager. As in ‘I understand that you are tasked with resolving the urgent issue of failure to pay me for 2 payroll cycles. I cannot sustain failure to pay me. This must be urgently resolved’.

My instinct would be to literally say in any conversations and emails that you cannot afford to pay bills or eat. But perhaps cooler heads than mine would advise otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I am willing to bet that the manager hasn't gone without his wages!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Kick up absolute stink. Go to HR. And get a new job in the new year. There is ALWAYS better jobs out there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

He is clearly incompetent. Go over his head.

Is this really for real? Dozens of people have just had their blood pressure shoot up contemplating this.

OP, If this is true what have you done this morning to get this sorted? Until sorted you need to escalate this until resolved TODAY. By resolved I mean payment made. Smh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This is outrageous and unacceptable, not withstanding legally suspect. I'm afraid your manager is either ducking and diving or just incompetent. I'm wondering is their a payroll department you can reach out too? my fear is there's an underlying financial problem at your place of work, are other colleagues having difficulty with wage payments?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

@beggars bush Thanks but I really dont want to have to go begging for money, I just want this sorted.

Payments can be made anytime, they just don't want to because it's hassle. Tell him you want your money today or you'll be getting on to his boss to get it sorted.

That is completely unacceptable. It's a job, not a bloody hobby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Payments can be made anytime, they just don't want to because it's hassle. Tell him you want your money today or you'll be getting on to his boss to get it sorted.

That is completely unacceptable. It's a job, not a bloody hobby!

To be honest I'd be getting onto their boss anyway. Forgetting to pay someone once is a glaring oversight, forgetting to pay someone twice is gross incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

There's something odd here. Unless it's a very small company, there should be a wages department across this,who flag the problem to the manager before it gets to the point where you are not paid.

Certainly a manager who allowed this to happen in our place would be having a chat with HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

thats absolute BS. Tell them they are in breach of contract (i'm assuming you have a contract).

And start looking for a new employer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

You have not been added to the payment list for whoever does payroll.

Call him back and tell him you will accept a cheque and your on the way to pick it up. Alternatively who is the owner/boss? Make it your business to get contact details and report to them you have no gone unpaid twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

daheff wrote: »
    thats absolute BS. Tell them they are in breach of contract (i'm assuming you have a contract).

They do not need a physical contract, they have worked hours for this company and have been informed of when wages are paid, it has not happened, this is a breach of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

There is an act called the Payment of Wages Act https://www.employerresources.ie/payment-of-wages-act.html#:~:text=The%20payment%20of%20wages%20act,negotiable%20mode%20of%20wage%20payment.

They can't just stop paying you.

If they aren't paying you, they also aren't paying your Social Insurance. That is equally as important as your wages because this will cover you if you become unemployed. You need to go on to MyAccount on www.revenue.ie and see if they are actually paying your Social Insurance and have been all along.

If I were you, I'd give Workplace Relations in Carlow a buzz. They are generally very responsive and exceptionally helpful. They will give you lots of really good advice. https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/contact_us/

You need to be very proactive about this. And quickly. You've let it slide once and its happened again. You are heading to the end of the tax year as well. So you need to ensure that you are being paid against this year's allowances. Which means being paid before the end of this month.

Thanks everyone, I was disheartened and upset as its so close to Christmas and yes, twice is not on at all.
    The manager is really nice and ive no doubt this was a mistake on his part and I will get what im owed. I went to him today and told him that I was really relying on my pay and have no other money. He agreed to write a check for two weeks pay so thats it sorted for now.
    Thank for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Thanks everyone, I was disheartened and upset as its so close to Christmas and yes, twice is not on at all.
    The manager is really nice and ive no doubt this was a mistake on his part and I will get what im owed. I went to him today and told him that I was really relying on my pay and have no other money. He agreed to write a check for two weeks pay so thats it sorted for now.
    Thank for the advice.

That's great, but has he given you the cheque, or just agreed? If the latter keep on top of it in case he 'forgets' again.

I'm guessing you're in a retail or similar environment but have you anything in writing from him at all? Do you hand in your time sheet by paper or by email? Just to have some sort of paper trail of who said what and when, what was promised and actioned would be useful from now on.

He could be the nicest guy in the world, but it is still really worrying that this manager is so lackadaisical about paying his staff :confused::confused::confused:

Glad you got sorted, if that cheque is safely lodged!

But his not arriving with the cheque in hand the first time this happened, full of apologies, was absolutely unacceptable

His letting it happen again was absolutely unacceptable and a serious question mark over fitness to manage people who have to eat

His letting it happen twice and then you to have to go begging for a cheque?

He should be disciplined, no question. Nicest in the world or not

• Advertisement

Why only two weeks, were you not owed more?

Advertisement