25-11-2020, 13:36   #46
schmoo2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklazarcovic View Post
incorrect .. an post will look it up in the office and figure out who its for,the postie has no means to do this via his scanner ,unless he uses his own private phone to do so, or has a newer van with built in sat nav, he's not obliged to use his personal phone for any company business. most will.
Incorrect - I recently had a badly labelled parcel with just my name, eircode and Cork on it, here was my conversation with support when I saw it was getting returned to sender on the tracking system:

Quote:
Ciara 10:44 - Hi, [MY NAME] how can we help ?
Me 10:44 - Looking at the tracking info it says "We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender."
But I have been home all morning and I don't believe they tried to deliver it?
Ciara 10:46 - there could be an issue with the address, one moment and I will track this
Ciara 10:47 - this item is on the way back to the sender due to an incomplete address. we deliver by address and not eircode
Me 10:47 - Can we correct it in the system?
Me 10:47 - Or am SOL?
Ciara 10:47 - we cannot, it is on the way back I am afraid 😞
Me 10:48 - Oh the irony "we deliver by address and not eircode" - ok I will chase up the sender.
Advertisement
25-11-2020, 14:04   #47
TheChizler

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoo2k View Post
Incorrect - I recently had a badly labelled parcel with just my name, eircode and Cork on it, here was my conversation with support when I saw it was getting returned to sender on the tracking system:
That correlates with what the other poster said, it's not used at the delivery stage. It's used at the sorting stage.
25-11-2020, 14:27   #48
schmoo2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChizler View Post
That correlates with what the other poster said, it's not used at the delivery stage. It's used at the sorting stage.
It never made it to the delivery stage as far as I can tell:
Quote:
16 November 2020 21:26 - Your delivery was received by An Post in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

16 November 2020 21:27 - We have your post in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

16 November 2020 22:23 - Your delivery has been sorted in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

20 November 2020 09:25 - We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender. LITTLE ISLAND D.S.U., CO CORK

20 November 2020 10:28 - Your delivery has been sorted in LITTLE ISLAND D.S.U., CO CORK

23 November 2020 16:19 - Your delivery has been sorted in PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE, CO LAOIS

Last edited by schmoo2k; 25-11-2020 at 14:30.
25-11-2020, 14:50   #49
TheChizler

Quote:
It never made it to the delivery stage as far as I can tell:
Exactly. It got sorted using Eircode in Dublin and sent to Little Island. From there they needed an address so it was returned.
25-11-2020, 14:57   #50
schmoo2k

Quote:
Exactly. It got sorted using Eircode in Dublin and sent to Little Island. From there they needed an address so it was returned.
Would be nice if they used this page: https://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx rather than sending the package back to Germany (would have been cheaper for them I suspect...)
Advertisement
25-11-2020, 14:58   #51
schmoo2k

(I used their online support form to suggest they use Eircodes for delivery in the future as IMO its a good idea!)
Thanks from:
25-11-2020, 15:06   #52
TheChizler

Quote:
Would be nice if they used this page: https://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx rather than sending the package back to Germany (would have been cheaper for them I suspect...)
I guess it's a cost thing, they paid millions for the infrastucture to sort by Eircode at a national level, and it hasn't been rolled out at the local hubs yet for parcels. Letters do seem to get past the local hubs and dedicated delivery people on the route manually look up the address of their own back but it might be too much effort to do this manually for parcels while in the local hub. Begs the question why it was let out of the national hub if it couldn't be delivered.
25-11-2020, 16:00   #53
schmoo2k

Quote:
I guess it's a cost thing, they paid millions for the infrastucture to sort by Eircode at a national level, and it hasn't been rolled out at the local hubs yet for parcels. Letters do seem to get past the local hubs and dedicated delivery people on the route manually look up the address of their own back but it might be too much effort to do this manually for parcels while in the local hub. Begs the question why it was let out of the national hub if it couldn't be delivered.
This is a DHL parcel, so the first thing they do is print out a new label and stick it on the box - to be fair I do not know what exactly is on the Box, according to the senders invoice it is my full address minus the Street, looking at the DHL tracking it is: My Name, Cork, EIRCODE, Cork.

There was a rumour of a work to rule in Cork a couple of weeks ago, so may have been a by product of that?

I am hoping that Port Laois will decode the eircode and put a new sticker on it - but suspect its going back to DHL in Germany...
25-11-2020, 16:36   #54
TheChizler

Quote:
This is a DHL parcel, so the first thing they do is print out a new label and stick it on the box - to be fair I do not know what exactly is on the Box, according to the senders invoice it is my full address minus the Street, looking at the DHL tracking it is: My Name, Cork, EIRCODE, Cork.

There was a rumour of a work to rule in Cork a couple of weeks ago, so may have been a by product of that?

I am hoping that Port Laois will decode the eircode and put a new sticker on it - but suspect its going back to DHL in Germany...
Oh, all bets are off if it's DHL, I thought you were talking about An Post. You did respond to someone talking about An Post, saying they were incorrect.
Advertisement
25-11-2020, 16:41   #55
schmoo2k

Quote:
Oh, all bets are off if it's DHL, I thought you were talking about An Post. You did respond to someone talking about An Post, saying they were incorrect.
DHL Germany hand off to An Post for "Local" Irish Delivery... So it is An Post.

Quote:
The shipment will be transported to the destination country/destination area and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking: https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/...tem=?????????)
25-11-2020, 16:48   #56
bazwraf

Eircodes are great. Enter mine on all forms.
Couriers can be idiots.

I live in a new enough estate, that shares its name with an estate in another townland in the same county, but approx 30 minutes away.
Initially, my estate didnt show on Google maps, and delivery drivers would ring me, saying the estate didnt contain a house with my number.

I asked them where they were, and they were in the wrong townland.
Basically they looked at the first line of my address, and entered the estate name into google maps, and got the wrong result.
I had not sympathy for them. If they read the address right, or entered the eircode into the eircode finder website, they would have found my house
25-11-2020, 16:59   #57
Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSU View Post
Ive worked on the phones for years in the motor trade and most of the mistakes you'll see is from calling out UK car reg numbers...and just about any non-standard part number with D or B or F or S ..
You haven't learned to use a phonetic alphabet at this stage?
25-11-2020, 21:43   #58
discodaveirl

One issue with Eircode is the fact that some are not accurate.. I deal with a common issue as a courier that when the Eircode was delivered by letter back in 2013/4 there was no way to check your eircode, when the website was launched some checked there eircodes realised there was mistakes (wrong building tagged or the eircode on premises was not correct and actually belonged to a neighbours building and vise versa). So now six/seven years on you ring a client and they read you the incorrect info off the eircode correspondence which brings you to a neighbors house and then you have to get actual directions and then use the app to inform the person of there correct eircode... Also the Auto Address App now has a subscription fee, some newer eircodes are Not updated to Google for months so unless you pay the subscriptions you may not be able to access newer eircodes
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion