Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircodes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Tork

SWhs7HF.jpg
    If you look at a UK postcode finder (this one is a random address from the Royal Mail's website) you will see that multiple buildings/addresses share the same postcode. The only objection some have to the eircode system is that if your address is something like D01 A12, your next door neighbour isn't going to be D01 A13. They're better at putting numbers on houses and naming minor roads than we are but that is an entirely different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

So, to summarise, we have introduced computer generated Eircodes that neither the Post Office or Sat Nav systems use. The only one that has it - Google maps - is not used much by couriers. We already had the Loc8 system in unofficial use but the Government declined to use it.It was based on GPS coordinates so totally accurate. We spent 15 million doing this.
    Is this the reason I still get couriers phoning me for directions and occasional deliveries to neighbours. ? !
    Darby O' Gill would do a better job if you ask me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

An post use it as far as I can see, as do couriers. I upgraded to proper fibre, and shopping around and for installation assessment and actual installation, all they wanted was the eircode.

The only thing that hasn't moved on in 5 years is some peoples perceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

recipio wrote: »
    So, to summarise, we have introduced computer generated Eircodes that neither the Post Office or Sat Nav systems use. The only one that has it - Google maps - is not used much by couriers. We already had the Loc8 system in unofficial use but the Government declined to use it.It was based on GPS coordinates so totally accurate. We spent 15 million doing this.
    Is this the reason I still get couriers phoning me for directions and occasional deliveries to neighbours. ? !

Not true, some new Garmin and Tom Tom devices support it and with Google maps you have Android Auto and Apple Carplay support.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

recipio wrote: »

€38 million was spent on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I’m a courier around Dublin donkeys years now and if you want your delivery you need to add your exact address, your eircode and most importantly your house number should be clearly displayed on your house, then I have absolutely no excuses for not delivering your parcel to your house. And no I won’t fling it over your fence cause I don’t work for one of those showers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I’m a courier around Dublin donkeys years now and if you want your delivery you need to add your exact address, your eircode and most importantly your house number should be clearly displayed on your house, then I have absolutely no excuses for not delivering your parcel to your house. And no I won’t fling it over your fence cause I don’t work for one of those showers!

And I bet you Google search the Eircode when in doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

And I bet you Google search the Eircode when in doubt

Yep but entering the eircode into google maps can sometimes just bring you to a spot on a road directly outside 2 houses so unless I have the house number I have no way of knowing which house I’m looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Macy0161 wrote: »
    An post use it as far as I can see, as do couriers. I upgraded to proper fibre, and shopping around and for installation assessment and actual installation, all they wanted was the eircode.

The only thing that hasn't moved on in 5 years is some peoples perceptions.

incorrect .. an post will look it up in the office and figure out who its for,the postie has no means to do this via his scanner ,unless he uses his own private phone to do so, or has a newer van with built in sat nav, he's not obliged to use his personal phone for any company business. most will.

in a rural area ive had eircodes bring me in between two houses

,a new resident had added the code to her address,but never told an post she had moved into the area (if you move into a rural area with no number or house name,and dont put the eircode on ,or tell the post office ,they wont know where you live )

only for i knew the occupier of the other house the mail would have been returned to sender if no answer at door. as guessing isnt a option with gdpr.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I love Eircode. Just whip out the phone and bam!!! Address confirmed.

I deal with this every day. Have to look them up multiple times a day.

To be honest I don't know if people just aren't bothered putting in their full address when buying something or if it's just the retailers with half arse'd systems that don't print the full address.

As an example (Not a real place)

You'll get

Johnny Johnson
    15 Park Center
    Dublin

Now park center is a big complex, has 5 apartment blocks, all numbered 1 - 150 ( and each apartment block has a different name - title) so you have to go to number 15 in each block until you find him.

Or people just put their name and street name, no number. Emmm why not? Unless you're a postman who's on that route everyday it's impossible to know.

Drives me insane. Sometimes you have to bring it back to the office, ask around see if anyone knows the name, sometimes you're up and back 3 or 4 times before it gets delivered.

Then you get complaints about it being late, when you explain about the address there's no talking to them., I'm wrong and that's it.

• Advertisement

incorrect .. an post will look it up in the office and figure out who its for,the postie has no means to do this via his scanner ,unless he uses his own private phone to do so, or has a newer van with built in sat nav, he's not obliged to use his personal phone for any company business. most will.
    I've had letters from people/ companies that have left it off, and the an post comment (presumably to explain the delay) is "no eircode". It's definitely not a postman level, as I know the postie (as in pals with him) and know the replacement too. Once it gets to them, they don't need the eircode to know where I live!

I've had letters from people/ companies that have left it off, and the an post comment (presumably to explain the delay) is "no eircode". It's definitely not a postman level, as I know the postie (as in pals with him) and know the replacement too. Once it gets to them, they don't need the eircode to know where I live!

I know they don't,once they know you it's fine,I'm a postie,no eircode is not something I've ever seen written on anything we deal with,or have I ever written it either.

Can only say I've had it on a number of letters. Whether it's just a randomer in the sorting office, I don't know.

But regardless, it doesn't change that overall eircodes have been a positive addition in my experience.

Can only say I've had it on a number of letters. Whether it's just a randomer in the sorting office, I don't know.

But regardless, it doesn't change that overall eircodes have been a positive addition in my experience.

i would agree yup,positive,the implementation was silly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Incorrect - I recently had a badly labelled parcel with just my name, eircode and Cork on it, here was my conversation with support when I saw it was getting returned to sender on the tracking system:
    Ciara 10:44 - Hi, [MY NAME] how can we help ?
    Me 10:44 - Looking at the tracking info it says "We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender."
    But I have been home all morning and I don't believe they tried to deliver it?
    Ciara 10:46 - there could be an issue with the address, one moment and I will track this
    Ciara 10:47 - this item is on the way back to the sender due to an incomplete address. we deliver by address and not eircode
    Me 10:47 - Can we correct it in the system?
    Me 10:47 - Or am SOL?
    Ciara 10:47 - we cannot, it is on the way back I am afraid 😞
    Me 10:48 - Oh the irony "we deliver by address and not eircode" - ok I will chase up the sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭TheChizler

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Incorrect - I recently had a badly labelled parcel with just my name, eircode and Cork on it, here was my conversation with support when I saw it was getting returned to sender on the tracking system:

That correlates with what the other poster said, it's not used at the delivery stage. It's used at the sorting stage.

TheChizler wrote: »
    That correlates with what the other poster said, it's not used at the delivery stage. It's used at the sorting stage.

It never made it to the delivery stage as far as I can tell:
    16 November 2020 21:26 - Your delivery was received by An Post in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

16 November 2020 21:27 - We have your post in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

16 November 2020 22:23 - Your delivery has been sorted in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

20 November 2020 09:25 - We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender. LITTLE ISLAND D.S.U., CO CORK

20 November 2020 10:28 - Your delivery has been sorted in LITTLE ISLAND D.S.U., CO CORK

23 November 2020 16:19 - Your delivery has been sorted in PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE, CO LAOIS

It never made it to the delivery stage as far as I can tell:
    Exactly. It got sorted using Eircode in Dublin and sent to Little Island. From there they needed an address so it was returned.

Exactly. It got sorted using Eircode in Dublin and sent to Little Island. From there they needed an address so it was returned.

Would be nice if they used this page: https://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx rather than sending the package back to Germany (would have been cheaper for them I suspect...)

(I used their online support form to suggest they use Eircodes for delivery in the future as IMO its a good idea!)

• Advertisement

Would be nice if they used this page: https://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx rather than sending the package back to Germany (would have been cheaper for them I suspect...)
    I guess it's a cost thing, they paid millions for the infrastucture to sort by Eircode at a national level, and it hasn't been rolled out at the local hubs yet for parcels. Letters do seem to get past the local hubs and dedicated delivery people on the route manually look up the address of their own back but it might be too much effort to do this manually for parcels while in the local hub. Begs the question why it was let out of the national hub if it couldn't be delivered.

I guess it's a cost thing, they paid millions for the infrastucture to sort by Eircode at a national level, and it hasn't been rolled out at the local hubs yet for parcels. Letters do seem to get past the local hubs and dedicated delivery people on the route manually look up the address of their own back but it might be too much effort to do this manually for parcels while in the local hub. Begs the question why it was let out of the national hub if it couldn't be delivered.

This is a DHL parcel, so the first thing they do is print out a new label and stick it on the box - to be fair I do not know what exactly is on the Box, according to the senders invoice it is my full address minus the Street, looking at the DHL tracking it is: My Name, Cork, EIRCODE, Cork.

There was a rumour of a work to rule in Cork a couple of weeks ago, so may have been a by product of that?

I am hoping that Port Laois will decode the eircode and put a new sticker on it - but suspect its going back to DHL in Germany...

This is a DHL parcel, so the first thing they do is print out a new label and stick it on the box - to be fair I do not know what exactly is on the Box, according to the senders invoice it is my full address minus the Street, looking at the DHL tracking it is: My Name, Cork, EIRCODE, Cork.

There was a rumour of a work to rule in Cork a couple of weeks ago, so may have been a by product of that?

I am hoping that Port Laois will decode the eircode and put a new sticker on it - but suspect its going back to DHL in Germany...
    Oh, all bets are off if it's DHL, I thought you were talking about An Post. You did respond to someone talking about An Post, saying they were incorrect.

Oh, all bets are off if it's DHL, I thought you were talking about An Post. You did respond to someone talking about An Post, saying they were incorrect.

DHL Germany hand off to An Post for "Local" Irish Delivery... So it is An Post.
    The shipment will be transported to the destination country/destination area and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking: https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Track/History?item=?????????)

Eircodes are great. Enter mine on all forms.
    Couriers can be idiots.

I live in a new enough estate, that shares its name with an estate in another townland in the same county, but approx 30 minutes away.
    Initially, my estate didnt show on Google maps, and delivery drivers would ring me, saying the estate didnt contain a house with my number.

I asked them where they were, and they were in the wrong townland.
    Basically they looked at the first line of my address, and entered the estate name into google maps, and got the wrong result.
    I had not sympathy for them. If they read the address right, or entered the eircode into the eircode finder website, they would have found my house

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

CSU wrote: »
    Ive worked on the phones for years in the motor trade and most of the mistakes you'll see is from calling out UK car reg numbers...and just about any non-standard part number with D or B or F or S ..

You haven't learned to use a phonetic alphabet at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

One issue with Eircode is the fact that some are not accurate.. I deal with a common issue as a courier that when the Eircode was delivered by letter back in 2013/4 there was no way to check your eircode, when the website was launched some checked there eircodes realised there was mistakes (wrong building tagged or the eircode on premises was not correct and actually belonged to a neighbours building and vise versa). So now six/seven years on you ring a client and they read you the incorrect info off the eircode correspondence which brings you to a neighbors house and then you have to get actual directions and then use the app to inform the person of there correct eircode... Also the Auto Address App now has a subscription fee, some newer eircodes are Not updated to Google for months so unless you pay the subscriptions you may not be able to access newer eircodes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Anybody know what AnPost does for letters that don’t have the full address but the eircode.

Someone from Germany send a few letters to me with an incomplete address a few weeks back:

Name
    Apartment (Number)
    Cork (Eircode)

Instead of

Name
    House Name
    Apartment (Number)
    Cork (Eircode)

Any chance these will ever make it to me or will AnPost send them back to sender eventually.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anybody know what AnPost does for letters that don’t have the full address but the eircode.

Someone from Germany send a few letters to me with an incomplete address a few weeks back:

Name
    Apartment (Number)
    Cork (Eircode)

Instead of

Name
    House Name
    Apartment (Number)
    Cork (Eircode)

Any chance these will ever make it to me or will AnPost send them back to sender eventually.

Thanks

I'll be fine

https://www.thejournal.ie/an-post-puzzle-mail-2145217-Jun2015/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

ED E wrote: »

that was in 2015 when they had a little spare time and enjoyed a challenge.

These days they are at near maximum capacity, so you can't be certain it will get there, but you would hope it would.

It it had for example

500 The Haven, Cork P51 GH88 it would have a good chance.

If it had 500, Cork P51 GH88. I would be more doubtful.

Advertisement